FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chapstick

Drawingguy
First, let's clear some things up. I don't mean carmex or blistex, or basically any sort of 'lip therapy' that includes salicyclic acid, or anything else that creates the infamous 'tingly-feeling.' What I'm referring to here is not any sort of lip gloss, but the regular petroleum based chapsticks. Can't forget Burt's Bees, of course.

Is it right for a guy to use something like this in public? I wouldn't say that I'm insecure about my masculinity (with a face like this, it's hard not to be confident Wink ), but I acknowledge that some people might take away the wrong impression. Any ideas?
Captain Fertile
There is absolutely no problem at all with using these in public.

I was ribbing my sone about using one yesterday but really I think there it is perfectly acceptable, it shows that they guy has some sense and looks after himself.

It reflects on his manhood in no negative way at all.
m00tmuffin
I see guys all over using chapstick, and (keep in mind that I'm a girl) I see no problem with guys using it public or anything, it doesn't make me question his masculinity or anything...haha. Chapped/dry lips are PAINFUL, so not only does it show that you're smart and want to take care of yourself when you have a problem, but it also might show that you want to keep your lips soft for whoever wants to kiss them, so either way you should be good to go. Now, if you're using like a pink-coloured tube of Bubblegum flavoured Lipsmackers, that's a different situation... :p
HoboPelican
Nah. No issue for a man to use it. But that reminded me of something. While you are answering the original question, think about how much you use lip balm/gloss. I have notice a fair number of people who seem to be addicted to the stuff. Male and female, they almost continually are applying stuff to their lips. If we are in the car and they run out, you better believe we have to pull over and get more. Type in "lip balm addiction" on a search site and just look at the sites that show up.

I'm not saying there are addictive chemicals in the balms and gloss, but there certainly seems to be a compulsive aspect to using it for some people. How about you?
Captain Fertile
HoboPelican wrote:
Type in "lip balm addiction" on a search site and just look at the sites that show up.
I'm not saying there are addictive chemicals in the balms and gloss, but there certainly seems to be a compulsive aspect to using it for some people. How about you?

Shocked HUH? I've never heard of that before but come to think of it I do know people who use it a heck of a lot sometimes. Hmm, this warrants further investigation...
m00tmuffin
HoboPelican wrote:
I have notice a fair number of people who seem to be addicted to the stuff. Male and female, they almost continually are applying stuff to their lips. If we are in the car and they run out, you better believe we have to pull over and get more. Type in "lip balm addiction" on a search site and just look at the sites that show up.

Well, I think the first thing is that it's wintertime, and dependent on where you live, chapped lips might be a staple in the colder months. Additionally, I think it's more of a case of the things being so damned tiny and easy to lose, rather then addictive. /grin
benjmd
Chapped, nasty, cracked, bleeding lips that no one wants to kiss vs. having normal, healthy lips and using a little chapstick... that's an easy one. Girls tend to use lip glosses more than guys, just as they tend to generally take better care of their skin. Personal hygiene is generally more of a "girly" thing. But who likes someone who stinks, is dirty, and doesn't take care of themself? You just don't want to be over the top about it I think (chapstick OK, strawberry-tangerine lip gloss not okay)
lady_yavanna
i think u shud use woteva the damn hell u wana use, n not care bout wot other ppl think. im a chick n i dont hav a prob with guys usin chapstick (2 of my best male friends use it). in fact i think most girls would RATHER nice, moisturised lips 2 kiss, as mentioned above. coz im sure if ur so handsome drawingguy, ud wana keep em in tip-top condition for that reason Wink Laughing
brilliantbeauty
Well, as a girl, guys using chapstick never really bugged me. I mean, I personally don't think you should make a big show out of it like some girls do, but an occasional quick swipe is a good idea if you ask me. Chapped lips are icky to an extreme.
meet in rio
Use it. I'd rather have something nice to kiss.

Mountaineers/hikers/people who spend a lot of time outdoors apply the stuff like there's no tomorrow. My dad uses it all the time.
driftingfe3s
No one likes crusty lips. Use it when needed regardless of location.