FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Worlds worst landlord - rented accomodation

watersoul
Hi everyone,
I had a housing crisis recently but found a lovely 2 bedroomed home with a garden, next to my little boys school and a park.
Rent paid in advance, moved in, perfect... or so I thought.
It turns out that my Landlord who lives 5 doors away is an alcoholic crazy woman in her late 50's, calling around in the late evenings, swearing, and shouting for more money as she wants me to be 2 months in advance with my rent now! She's also stopped paying a bill which was included in the rent, and refusing to deduct it from the money I pay her, texting me and making life a bit of a misery.
I'm going to leave in 2 weeks time (date paid up to) and move in temporarily at a friends until I find somewhere else, because although the law is definately on my side, the reality and stress of a situation like this is only made worse by getting a police officer to talk to her - you just cant reason with drunks!
What's your worst landlord/tenant experience and how'd you fix/escape from it???
Sad
Captain Fertile
I am with a private landlord although luckily she is pretty good.

We have a large victorian terrace house and the rent is very cheap indeed. The landlord also leaves us alone so that is cool.

The only thing I don't like is that fact that at any time she can decide to sell her investment on and our family could find ourselves homeless.

Or we could make improvements to her house and then she may decide to hike up our rent for the privelege.

Also the landlord runs on a month by month unsecured tenancy which is a real pain and does not help us feel secure in our tenancy at all.

So despite being happy in this house we are seeking council or housing association housing so that we can settle in and feel a little more secure in our home.

Good luck with your house search, your landlord souds like a real NIGHTMARE! Shocked
watersoul
Cheers Captain Smile
The Landlords are the new masters over the peasants!
It's such a shame that house prices are so over inflated here in the UK we have to use these rented nightmare's.
Hmm, have to find myself a rich woman to look after me hehe!
Captain Fertile
watersoul wrote:
Cheers Captain Smile
The Landlords are the new masters over the peasants!
It's such a shame that house prices are so over inflated here in the UK we have to use these rented nightmare's.
Hmm, have to find myself a rich woman to look after me hehe!

Why not go for your landlord? She seems easy to please and as welll as a warm bed you get a roof over your head too. Might even keep her off your back, well about the rent anyway! Laughing

The reason I rent is because it makes more sense to me than buying. If the water tanks explodes during the night and water comes through the ceiling I don't have to worry about finding th money to replace the tank or repair the damage.

I pay my rent without having to worry about a mortgage, buildings insurance, paying for the gas checks every year etc.

Plus I don't go into debt for a mortgage for years of my life and then have to sell my home before the government will pay me any pension I have also worked hard for all my working life.

I used to look at a house as a good investment for my children but after seeing the fiasco over my parents home when my father died I see this is not the pot of gold people had lead my parents to believe.
clarinda0551
I am living in Australia and my current house is from a estate agency. Believe me the estate agencies are god alike in here. Lucky if you have a good one otherwise you get your ass kicked for sure..And you can do nothing.
ReubenWilliams
We never actually hired a house from him, but in our second year of uni me * my friends were looking at houses and we came across this one estate agernt called Mr Baraj, he picked us all up in his transit van, which was pretty illegal considering there were 5 of us, then he drove us to his property he was offering us, threw his rubbish in the Garden! barged in without knocking, the tennants didn't even know he was coming, then he showed us into the first room, which was a large downstairs bedrrom, he then claimed that "every room in the house is this size" obviously we didn't sign the contract right there and then on the basis of that declaration and went on to look at the other rooms, which were mostly a lot smaller, one or two markedly so. Needless to say we didn't sign with him but obviously some people had done. Some landlords can be absolute Arseholes.

Good luck finding a better place watersoul
chasbeen
Hey I got the label landlord now and wanted to say a couple of things in defence of the landlords.

First off I rent to Students and I have , I think been very fair. Here are my stories "from the other side"

(1)Female student who already had a guy going to court through charging him with the big "R". Taking pictures of the wall to try and find mould so she could take me to court (Her "R" case against an unfortunate guy got thrown out of court)

(2)I don't visit often to the house. That sound fair and , although not disliked, I understand the students feelings. However how do I get repaid?
I won't go into details but I and the students would have been in trouble if I had not visited and ventured into the basement!.

(3)People leave without completing their contract but I'm out 100's of dollars. I don't take people to court but I do rent at market rates.

(4)People don't own up to broken furniture, windows or fixtures.

Basically as a landlord you try to be reasonable but if your too reasonable people take it as weakness and exploit it.

Imagine that you are a landlord would you really be any different?

To the Captain if it's so good there why not negotiate a 6 or 12 months lease?

Very Happy
HoboPelican
When I was in school, I rented a floor of an old house near campus from an old asian couple. Mr. and Mrs. Lee were very nice, kept things in good order and we got along quite well. However, Mr. Lee had some trouble understanding the laws about entering "his" dwelling(24 hour notice in our city). One time in particular stands out in my memory.

It was afternoon, and I had blown off classes to spend a little "quality time" with my girlfriend. We were very involved in our "quality time" when I thought I heard the door to the flat open. I figured it was my roommate and ignored it (my bedroom door was closed). Seconds later, my bedroom door opens up and Mr. Lee is standing there staring at us nekkid kids bouncing around in our bed! Laughing

That was the last time he ever came into our place uninvited!
Wink
chasbeen
There is officially not supposed to be anyone else living at the house I rent out to students. This is very hard to enforce as many students have partners who stay every night.

Rules is rules and people might say "Hey thats not fair" but in fact these people have signed contracts and said they agree.

The reason there is a rule against additional unpaying guests is that it's unfair on the paying guest who cannot get into the bathroom in the morning or cannot get to use the kitchen.

Life always looks different on the other side of the fence!
HoboPelican
chasbeen wrote:
There is officially not supposed to be anyone else living at the house I rent out to students. This is very hard to enforce as many students have partners who stay every night.

Rules is rules and people might say "Hey thats not fair" but in fact these people have signed contracts and said they agree.

The reason there is a rule against additional unpaying guests is that it's unfair on the paying guest who cannot get into the bathroom in the morning or cannot get to use the kitchen.

Life always looks different on the other side of the fence!

If that was in response to my story, it has no bearing. Despite the fact that my girlfriend was not living there, there was a law in place that stated a landlord could not enter a rented unit, unless there was an emergency, without 24 hour notice. He was not allowed to just enter a unit and "look around". We had no issue with them coming in and never insisted on the 24 hour notice. But to barge in without knocking for no reason is NOT acceptable. The other side of the fence, in this case, was illegal, improper and damn embarrassing....for him!
Laughing
Insanity
My family owns another flat somewhere in another part of town, and it seems we have the opposite problem. Our tenants are always complaining about stuff being broken and calling us over to fix minor things that they break.
MrBlueSky
chasbeen wrote:
Hey I got the label landlord now and wanted to say a couple of things in defence of the landlords.

First off I rent to Students and I have , I think been very fair. Here are my stories "from the other side"

(1)Female student who already had a guy going to court through charging him with the big "R". Taking pictures of the wall to try and find mould so she could take me to court (Her "R" case against an unfortunate guy got thrown out of court)

(2)I don't visit often to the house. That sound fair and , although not disliked, I understand the students feelings. However how do I get repaid?
I won't go into details but I and the students would have been in trouble if I had not visited and ventured into the basement!.

(3)People leave without completing their contract but I'm out 100's of dollars. I don't take people to court but I do rent at market rates.

(4)People don't own up to broken furniture, windows or fixtures.

Basically as a landlord you try to be reasonable but if your too reasonable people take it as weakness and exploit it.

Imagine that you are a landlord would you really be any different?

To the Captain if it's so good there why not negotiate a 6 or 12 months lease?

Very Happy

Well, I do think students are a special case. At least over here, they are not known for their consideration with their living environment, furniture, landlords or anything that doesn't have the word 'fred' or 'party' in it for that matter. I think being a landlord renting to students will likely be a lot tougher than for families or 'normal' working folks.
mschnell
I feel like landlords around college campuses often take advantage of the fact that the students are in large supply year after year. They know that they can rent a place even if it's in relatively bad shape. I moved into a place this year and at that time it hadn't been cleaned, there was a small wall missing, and there were random wires hanging from the basement ceiling. Although my landlord eventual took care of the missing wall, it was frustrating at the time. I feel like landlords here just plan on keeping your deposit and don't necessarily plan on keeping up the house.
Zug Zug
Get this:

I move into my first apartment yay! i love my neighbors, I like my land lord.. until.....the matienence person decided to take a bathroom break in my home while I was gone- he was working on the air conditioner that decided to break in the middle of July. It never got fixed. Then when I move out I did so a week in advance so I could get the place nice and clean. I vaccume-even whiped down the walls. I spent about 15-18 hours cleaning this place up. I am late for the walk through-she says everything looked nice. Well when I get my check in the mail for my deposite I got 23.20 back....I'm thinking wtf? out of 550.00 I get 23 bucks back? So I call her up: She said the place was a pig sty and that it wasn't habitable for anyone to live there. Since she did the walk through without me-and I not taking pictures or having someone else there to say "yes she cleaned the place" I was screwed nothing i could do. I try to file a claim but they said it was not conclusive....eh so I lost 530.00 v_v I hate landlords.
Coledash
My god... I dont know how can you "non-finlanders" can survive out there, if you let everyone to stomp on you like that.

Seriously, if someone is a bastard like that to you... DONT TURN YOUR ****** CHEEK! (We all know what happened to the guy who did that, now dont we?)

Especially here in Finland, in the paradise heaven of criminals, civilians got to do what civilians got to do... And that is streching the law a bit in order to bring back some justice. End justifiec the means, in my opinion
watersoul
UPDATE >>
My landlord came around, sober thankfully, I explained all the things I was unhappy with, calmly and wanting to make a fresh start, and I couldn't believe it, but she was really really sorry!
She's apologied big-time, accepted she was trying to rip me off with the bills and confirmed everything in writing, and so far she's left me alone, and promised to never come around if she's had a drink.
I never expected that result at all, maybe my rant on FriH Forums sent a message out into the atmosphere which touched her heart?! OK, maybe thats being silly, but either way, I'm a happy tenant again Smile
genchan
Where I am at, you normally don't deal directly with the landlord but through an agent. It serves as the middleman and though you have to pay the extra charges including a month's rent to the agent, it is a place where you can complaint and get things done like if the light bulb blew or the aircon breaks down. I remember one of my friends got irritated by its neighbor for holding parties late at night and making lots of noises. He complaint a few times and got the agent to talk to the neighbor and when things didn't work out, it got the police to come. I guess with a real estate agent, its more systematic and things get done in a better way since most landlords are elderly and it can sometimes be difficult to deal directly with them. The only thing is it can be taxing considering the amount of money you have to pay upfront to move in to a place.
riv_
I've been on both sides.
A little while back, we had a landlord who cam e into our house when we were at work. Yuck! All I can say is that I can relate - sure, the law is on your side. But the whole situation is so gross and bizarre that sometimes the best thing to do is to move out and forget about it!
Since then, we've bought our own house, and rented it out for a little while. That made use landlords. And we had renters calling saying they weren't going to pay rent because they were going on vacation instead... So how are we supposed to be reasonable?
SOmetimes people are just awful and it's hard to be the good guy... Confused
djcaution
wow thats gotta be frustrating but that is nothing. A couple friends of mine used to live in Vancouver just on the edge of an area called "East Hasting", you may in fact have heard of the area it has quite a reputation. Anyways the landlord of the building that they used to live in, at a later date actually appeared in Time Magazine as literally the worlds worst landlord! You wouldnt BELIEVE the things this guy did its insane. I cant remember much cuz it was a while ago that they told me about this but a couple of the things are that after living there a month or so the paint just started peeling off the walls and underneath there was this fungus that they hired someone to check out and this fungus actually released toxins in the air that when breathed in actually kill you and it doesnt even take very long either. The landlord instead of taking care of this just keeps painting over it. They also found hidden cameras in every room of the apartment including the bathroom. The list goes on it's crazy..
riv_
Gross!
I actually used to live a few blocks away from that neighbourhood.
That kind of thing was really common...
riv_
The mold I mean. Not the hidden cameras! Embarassed
greenwoodmonkey
The worst landlord I have had was in Kingston Upon Thames.

When I and my friends moved into the apartment them place had been recently decorated for us, which was nice... but what wasn't was the four days of cleaning we had to do go remove all the cr*p the builders and decoraters had left behind before we could even move in...

The landlord / agency we were with apologised and said that it was totally against thier policy of renting houses and that a cleaner should have been round for us...

Anyway, al went kinda well until we moved out some 6 months later... taking; I hasten to add an alternative property from the same agency...

On the day we moved out the agency came round to inspect, and gave the all clear for us to leave, adding that he could see it was impossible to clean to the place given the new furniture that was piled in every room in preparation for the new tenents...

Anyway, we moved into our new pad, spent two days cleaning only to receive a letter on the 4th day from the agency informing us that they were going to have to deduct from our deposit:

GBP 250 for cleaning old apartment
GBP 50 for industrial cleaning of toilet that we had left "something nasty in to go brown and spoil the porceline"...

We were livid... and phoned the agency to let them know the situation that :

1 : we couldn't clean the place due to thier furniture : the reponse : "you should have done it before"
2 : the stain in the toilet was from the last user.... the agent.... the reponse "you should have checked, I was your guest"

Needless to say we never saw our deposit... but on leaving the second property we on receipt of our 2nd depostit leave a 3rd on the step of his offices and 4th on the windows of his car...

Sometimes revenge is sweet!
Dragonfly
It is good that you plan to move out of the rooms soon. This is the best solution to this kind of problem. Because, no other solution seems normal for you. I have heard a drunken landlords many times. But its the first time I'm hearing about a drunken landlady which is quite abnormal. She sounds abusive as well. I want to see her face! haha...

My advice is that you move out of that house quickly. I had experienced with a drunken landlord and it was terrible. No solution unless they come clean first with their drinking problem which is not likely soon.....
Lady_Star
~hugs and bright blessings being sent your way~ I have never had to deal with a drunk as a landlord but know what they can be like best of luck finding somewhere new that is right for you and son... Smile

My worst experience was when I owned a cleaning company that the complex I lived in contracted to clean vacant apartments to get them ready for the next tenants to move into and then didn't pay for the services that they had contracted. With them not paying for the services we were not able to pay our rent and they evicted us. Needless to say I hired a lawyer but it became a nightmare of a battle that I would never want to go through again.
raaeft1
I agree that living in a rented accomodation or one provided by relatives can be a nightmarish experience.
We stayed for two years in a first floor rented accomodation while the landlord occupied the ground floor. The worst problem we faced was of water as the landlady cut off supply in the morning by washing clothes and whenwe asked them to run the electric pump motor, they operated it only for 10 minutes. Moreover, they did not even carry out basic repairs.
djcaution
yay for me getting a new caretaker yesterday!! This guy seems super cool. He calls me megaman lol I like him. Its kinda like when you were little and people called you big guy Laughing. The one before him was this stupid 18yr old chick who didnt do anything ever I dont know how she got the job.. the one before her though, Norm, was just awesome! he was like 80 years old but he'd been caretaking for like 30 years and he knew what he was doing and got sh|t done!
Packfan104L4
Yea, I live in a cmplex where everything's included with rent. I can't complain :p