FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HDD Problem

ssthanapati
Few years back i had bought a 40gb hdd which i installed it in a computer which supported drives with a max capacity of 30GB. So only 30 GB was recognised in it.

Later on when I installed it in a new system it is still being detected as 30GB even after removing all partitions and reformatting it.

Ne1 knows how 2 solve this problem?????
orno
im guessing you reformatted it in windows... are u using windows xp? which version? home or professional?
i can help you out if u gimme more details Smile
ssthanapati
I am using windows XP professional. I reformatted it using the win XP cd. I did the reformatting when the hdd was empty and windows wasent installed. I didnt do it from within the windows itself.
internetjobs
go to disk management and check whole capacity disk...
right click my computer and goto manage... and click disk management...it will show you how many space available in your hdd....
sush
The Disk Management utility should help. If it doesn't, try something like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director to check what's wrong with the disk.
fadirocks
to access disk management type in diskmgmt.msc
however only Partition magic will recover the space without need to reformat so that's what I recommend too Smile
sush
If the rest 10GB space is unpartitioned, you can create a new partition by using diskmgmt.msc itself. If it has a corrupted partition, delete it and create a new one. If it shows no unpartitioned space and shows 40GB total, and windows shows 30GB total, bummer.
ssthanapati
disk management showing a total of 31.48 gb. now what? Sad ne hope?
psycosquirrel
Some older drives have jumpers that limit the drive to 32Gb, check and see if that is your problem. If you take the jumpers off, it should default back to 40Gb and you will be able to access it all after a reformat.
coolman1232
Well, I don't know if this is the problem, but if you know anything about bytes and disk space you will know that when it says "4 GB" on a box, it is not really 4 GB - more like 3.7 GB because it counts 1000 bytes in a megabyte, when it is in reality something like 1024 bytes.
This can be actually very annoying - I bought an external 200 GB hard drive, but it of course only can support around 170 GB...

Hope this explains a bit more, though I don't know if this helps...
ssthanapati
coolman1232 wrote:
Well, I don't know if this is the problem, but if you know anything about bytes and disk space you will know that when it says "4 GB" on a box, it is not really 4 GB - more like 3.7 GB because it counts 1000 bytes in a megabyte, when it is in reality something like 1024 bytes.
This can be actually very annoying - I bought an external 200 GB hard drive, but it of course only can support around 170 GB...

Hope this explains a bit more, though I don't know if this helps...

The reduced disk space u c is due to the fact that the file allocation table, or d file system eats up that space.

I am completely aware of this fact. But my problem here is different
ssthanapati
well neone 2 help?????????//
internetjobs
try to format with third party software like partition magic or some thing like software. or check your jumber settings in back side of hdd.
ssthanapati
internetjobs wrote:
try to format with third party software like partition magic or some thing like software. or check your jumber settings in back side of hdd.

Jumper settings has been set 2 master

now will try partition magic. hope it works
netgalorecafe
my suggestion here is try to format the disk with any DOS disk not with a windows. As far as I knew when you format using windows about 5-10 percent of your disk was used by windows that is why after formatting the result will be less than the actual size of a disk.

Just trying to help here because using some software might seriously damage your hard disk. There are also utility software that can be found depending on the brand of your hard disk. If it is MAXTOR, then use the maxtor utility or if it is SEAGATE, then use seagate utility and so on.

If not, just use the traditional disk formatting software like DOS. Because as I have experienced, it was the very accurate software to use. It seemed old but accurate.
ssthanapati
well i have a samsung hard disk.... so wats d exact process u ppl are suggesting me to follow
netgalorecafe
ssthanapati wrote:
well i have a samsung hard disk.... so wats d exact process u ppl are suggesting me to follow

The process for reformatting your harddisk in DOS (Disk Operating System)
1. You need a DOS boot disk (it is a simply need to boot your computer in DOS mode) if you dont have a boot disk you can get one at http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml and save it on a clean 1.44mb floppy disk (3 1/2 size)
2.After booting simply run FDISK
3. If ask, enter "yes" to support your 40gb hdd
4. Just follow the on-screen instruction to make a disk partition

After reformatting you should see your disk as 40gb (or sometimes it cant read exactly as 40gb but some 38.?????)

however you may use some utility tool for your samsung disk found in http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd to check your disk for any damages or to know more information about your disk

JUst hoping it would help bettter
xbcd
download gparted live cd and it will combine the partitions just like partition magic except it is free and i totally trust it since it is well know by all linux users. Also it has a user interface so you do not need to know a single linux command except mabee the comand "thanks linux"
ssthanapati
netgalorecafe wrote:
ssthanapati wrote:

The process for reformatting your harddisk in DOS (Disk Operating System)
1. You need a DOS boot disk (it is a simply need to boot your computer in DOS mode) if you dont have a boot disk you can get one at http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml and save it on a clean 1.44mb floppy disk (3 1/2 size)
2.After booting simply run FDISK
3. If ask, enter "yes" to support your 40gb hdd
4. Just follow the on-screen instruction to make a disk partition

After reformatting you should see your disk as 40gb (or sometimes it cant read exactly as 40gb but some 38.?????)

however you may use some utility tool for your samsung disk found in http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd to check your disk for any damages or to know more information about your disk

JUst hoping it would help bettter

Ok thanks for the detailed method.. Will try it as soon as i finish backing up my data
netgalorecafe
you are very much welcome!

I hope it will help to solve your problem.

If it not, one another thing I only knew was your HDD had a problem in its sectors. most probably BAD SECTORS that cannot be repaired.

But if that was not the case please message me about and I will try to study the case.

good day!
jackill
Try to use your's HDD producer tools, if it's Samsung search Samsung official site for partitioning/service tools.
ganesh
Ii think there are two things you should take care in this context:

Check sure your jumper settings on the HD are correct as you intended (primary slave / primary master / secondary slave / secondary master)

Make sure your BIOS recognizes it properly as the intended device

Next, make sure you are running latest service packs for Windows. I remember there was some fix for Windows to recognize higher capacity drives.

Hopefully this should fix your problem.
DeiviD
i would try low-level formating (using the software samsung made for that) - and if even after that it still says 31giga, then thats the HD's real size.
koltz
I think that PC BIOS Upgrade will help you if you get an old motherboard.

if you have new pc , check that all gampers on hdd are right

and use enterprise tools for diagnostic your hdd,

they will say about hdd all truth Wink
billgertz
put it on other PC. see if it still says the same size.
sickpsique
When you try to install a new OS, the same disc tells u about the partitions on the disk, and sometimes shows you 2 partitions: one of 30Gb, (or 20, or more.....) and one with less capacity, but windows gives you the chance to delete that partition (the one with less capacity) with just to press: D
&that's all, & there you have a partition with your full disk capacity.