FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can we boost our brain power with playing music?

heridlia

Can we increase our IQ score with playing music?

Can we increase our concentration with playing music?

I'm not sure. But many literature say like that.

Which music do I listen to apply that?

Thanks a lot.
Jaan
Yes we can... and classical music helps most I think.
Ozzy
I sure hope so... Well I guess it would, as you need some sort of brain power to learn an instrument. And an urge that pushes you to continue to learn and eventually evolve and write and compose your own music.

My life mainly revolves around listening to and playing music.

Nothing more I would want to do with my life then play, write and listen to music all day every day. With that being said, hopefully I'm doing something right...
Darius
Deffinetaly classic, BUT it helps only temporrary. If you listen to a few songs, it doesn't mean that your IQ level will dramaticaly increas.
Srs2388
Yes, if I listen to music I can think more clearly. I listen to rock/metal though... not classical.
the_mariska
Well, I don't really think so... When I was a child my parents used to play classical tapes, 'as it developes your intelligence'. I consider myself as a quite intelligent person but see no connection between this and music I listen to. Especially that I listen to pretty many kinds of music - from classical and opera to hardcore punk and black metal. If it really had such a significant influence, I would get more intelligent everytime I put on a Mozart cd, and become more dull everytime I listen to eg. Children of Bodom. Sounds too weird, indeed.

Well, music has a very great meaning to me, I can say I'm some kinda artist. That's why it has no meaning to my brain or intelligence, but rather to my emotions. I simply don't care about the rest Wink
Captain Fertile
I did see a news item on TV a number of years ago which quoted a study that indicated that children who listened to (or were exposed to) classical music became more intelligent.

Sadly I am unable to quote any sources so is just my word tat I saw it.

I encourage my kids to listen to classical even if it is just occasionally in the car while I am driving.
onemoment
depends on how you take the question..

can music actually make us smarter? in a literal sense, probably not.. no matter what the studies.

figuratively music is one of the finest artforms and most accessible means of education and inspiration available. and i think the appreciation of it on any perceptive level would definitely lead me to think a person with an extensive knowlege of music would be an intelligent person
twisthigh
Many great classical pianist seem to think that we can, for example Mozart, try listening to his stuff and like... Bethoven and Chopin, see if it works and let us know.
Nutteloos
For one, I think this is a long-term effect. By often listening to music for a few years, you might become a little smarter.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the kind of music matters. Britney Spears won't do much good, probably...
Jakob [JaWGames]
I do not believe that you can boos you IQ with music but you certainly can use it for improving concentrating or mood. Or at least it does for me Smile
spaz-o
I don't think listening to music is like studying - it won't just make you know things. But it will help you develop and grow and learn, but so will a lot of other things.

Music's an eye-opener more than anything else, I'd say. Showing you what a big influence something 3 minutes long can be. Showing you how much dedication people can have and all the magic behind it all.

Learning music can help you make connections no one else would see.

Music's just amazing all around.
Mouldylocks
look what i found, they took a bunch of children and experimented on them to see if music would increase their IQ

"The participating children were given IQ tests before and after the lessons. The results of this study revealed that increases in IQ from pre- to post-test were larger in the music groups than in the two others. Generally these increases occurred across IQ subtests, index scores, and academic achievement. Children in the drama group also exhibited improvements pre- to post-test, but in the area of adaptive social behavior, an area that did not change among children who received music lessons."

I guess whatever you do, wether it be sudoku, crosswords, writing essays, or playing music, your brainpower increases because you make your brain work

whe i play with my band mouldylocks ( www.myspace.com/mouldylocks6 )
I feel tired aterwards, but I get better everyday, and composing songs makes me feel clever. tinking about which string to pick gets my neurones working. It's all about doing something.
Klaw 2
with classical music you can concentrate better en with some other swinging songs you cant concentrate.
cheh
Mozart's Sonata for 2 pianos in D. KV. 448 is supposed to raise your IQ.
true or not, it's a good listening and i like it alot Very Happy

but i think that if you listen to music properly, paying attention to arangement of instruments it should be enough to improove your inteligence. no matter what the music is. but the more it's complex, the better i guess...
engeland
cheh wrote:
Mozart's Sonata for 2 pianos in D. KV. 448 is supposed to raise your IQ.
true or not, it's a good listening and i like it alot Very Happy

but i think that if you listen to music properly, paying attention to arangement of instruments it should be enough to improove your inteligence. no matter what the music is. but the more it's complex, the better i guess...

exactly what cheh says. i experienced this myself!
frozenhead
Works for me. Umm, I usually load a lot of music in my playlist when I do my work. It helps me focus on what I do.
lethaltriad
I think thats definately true. I know for me whenever i'm composing music it helps with my creativity but mainly I use it to help me relax.
tony
ive heard music increases intelligence but I don't know how credible the source was. sounds good to me though - haha! i'd love to find making or listening to music makes you smarter because then i'd find that what i do is good for me Smile
Crxss
Music definetly stimulates your brain. I think music that stimulates your brain most depends on it's tone and your mood. We tend to listen to sad songs when we're depressed, upbeat songs when we're happy, etc..
SimonWSTS
I know there is research to show that it does increase our IQ, i realy hope its true. Personally I like to believe it is.
spaz-o
You know what?

Whatever you do, it's gonna increase brain power. Unless it's doing nothing, you're gonna enhance some part of you're brain.
Nutteloos
spaz-o wrote:
You know what?

Whatever you do, it's gonna increase brain power. Unless it's doing nothing, you're gonna enhance some part of you're brain.

Except when it's drinking beer... Wink
Heart Ticket
heridlia wrote:

Can we increase our IQ score with playing music?

Can we increase our concentration with playing music?

I'm not sure. But many literature say like that.

Which music do I listen to apply that?

Thanks a lot.

Everything helps except rap Smile rap is bad for the mind so is sports wear and designer clothing. lol.

James
allhopedeleted
Jaan wrote:
Yes we can... and classical music helps most I think.

according to ultimate-guitar.com its death metal :p