FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is lunix

slayer1927
i know a lot about computers but i have never used this software called lunix whats the hell is it
myrevolt
Oh boy. Hopefully someone will suppliment my reply.

I'm 99% confident you refer to Linux.

Linux is an Operating System, in the same way Microsoft's Windows is an OS.
There are thousands of different distrubtions of Linux - popular ones include, but are not limited, to Ubuntu, Suse, Redhat, Gentoo, and Knoppix.

If you have a "fast-enough" (newish high-end graphics card) computer you should download the ISO dreamlinux and burn to CD ("burn from disk image") screenshot screenshot2 video

My favorite live-cd distro is Knoppix available here (works on older systems)

If you have any difficulties, let us know and we will try to get you on track to experience Linux. (you may also want to look into various cross-platform applications as Firefox, Gaim, and OpenOffice)

P.S. The screenshots that turned up on google image search were disappointing, I'll have to take some of my own and post them.
infobankr
If you don't know what linux is, take some time to try it out. To me, linux is truly remarkable, as an operating system, as a testing ground, as a developer's tool, and even as a teaching experience.

Go for it! What have you got to lose, its free!
MrBlueSky
A good read: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question246.htm
another one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

And this is how it all started: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html (Linus Thorvalds is posting about his new project, not called Linux yet, in the comp.os.minix newsgroup)

For short definitions, see: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3Alinux&meta=

BTW, to be exact isn't Linux an operating system. Linux is a kernel, and operating systems build around it are mostly refered to as 'Linux' also.
dedicatedtolkien
Linux is a name for the vast number of operating systems based on the Unix kernel. Originaly, the operating system was used almost exclusively as a robust, highly secure, server side operating system. It had many great features which made it great for advanced users, and nice for them to use, but it had a very steep learning curve, and the user interface was such that unless you already knew a great deal about the system, it was almost impossible to do anything. However, in recent years, the ease of use and simplicity of opperation has greatly increased, especially with user interfaces available with window managers like KDE. This has allowed the system to begin gaining use not only as simply a server OS, but also as an OS for all your daily needs for an OS to do.
djclue917
dedicatedtolkien wrote:
Linux is a name for the vast number of operating systems based on the Unix kernel.

A Linux distribution is an operating system typically comprised of GNU tools + the Linux kernel. "Linux" is often used to pertain to these "family"/flavours of operating systems.

Quote:
However, in recent years, the ease of use and simplicity of opperation has greatly increased, especially with user interfaces available with window managers like KDE.

KDE is a full-blown desktop environment just like GNOME. An example of a "minimalistic" desktop environment is Xfce. KWin is the window manager that KDE uses.

Quote:
This has allowed the system to begin gaining use not only as simply a server OS, but also as an OS for all your daily needs for an OS to do.

I think he meant Linux as a "desktop-centric" operating system.
cheeta
Linux is a Open Source OS

Very Happy

thats all one may need to know

Very Happy
{name here}
Things you need to know about Linux:
1) It's just the kernel for the building of an OS
2) There are tons of operating systems based on Linux
3) None of these many operating systems created with Linux can be considered unique. At the end of the day every operating system based on the Linux kernel acts the same way. The difference is just in how it is setup, some drivers included, packages on the CD, and how you update.
4) Many people who are in the communities will not help you if it's in the manual. Read the manual and you won't get trouble. This doesn't go for the Ubuntu community, though it does go for the Gentoo and Debian communities.
Studio Madcrow
Nobody's actually answered the question he ASKED, only the question they THINK he was asking Wink Lunix actually does exist. It's a multitasking OS for the Commodore 64 with a Linux/Unix style command shell. It mostly works, but nobody's worked on it since 2004. It IS open source though, so if your a 6502 assembler whiz you can always start enhancing it for some major nerd karma points.

OFFICIAL LINK: http://lng.sourceforge.net/
billybob
slayer1927 wrote:
i know a lot about computers but i have never used this software called lunix whats the hell is it

If you are actually referring to Linux surly that is a contradictory sentence ^ Rolling Eyes
desertwind
I don't know whether it's a typo for linux. If not, Lunix (L-Unix) is an open source operating system.

More info here: http://lng.sourceforge.net/
tony
hrm.. well if you meant linux, linux is an open-source kernel for an operating system. it is free and available for anyone interested because it is open-source. this makes software development particularly easy with linux. linux operating systems are known most for their security and security.