FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Damaged USB

marixworld
My friend just bought a 512 MB Flash drive. He was making the best of it when suddenly, one day, when he tried inserting it to one of the USB ports, it wasn't detected by the computer. He thought there might be wrong with computer or its USB ports so he tried the other computer, but still nothing happened. We know for sure that it's better to buy another than going back to the store where it was bought since it's a hundred miles away. Am thingking maybe you guys here could give us some insights. Thanks!
fadirocks
dude Microcenter is selling 1GB for $10 so it doesn't worth the drive for returning just trash it

if he doesn't have a Microcenter next to him then buy online
http://microcenter.com Smile
orno
marixworld: my roommate had sort of the same problem with his 1GB mp3 player...we had to reset the firmware on the stick to get it working again...visit the manufacturers website and there will be documentation on how to do that...

but yeah, usb sticks are REALLY cheap now...just get a new one...besides, 512 MB is hardly anything
psycosquirrel
I second the reccommendation for the Microcenter drive. I have gone through two so far; every time they break, I walk in and they replace it, no questions asked. They don't even ask for a reciept.

I am hard on my flash drives, and the fact that I am only on my second one after owning them both for a combined 7 months is quite impressive, especially for $10 (though they were $20 when I first bought it).

If the drive did not work on the other computer, it is very likely the drive is dead, not the USB ports.
Shirish
Hey friend, a damaged USB means a programming error in microcotntroller or some burnout in circuit.
So it can be repaired.
Just send it to me if you live in India.
If i can repair it , i will send it in good conditon after repairing it.

Also try to find problems and their solutions first then just buying out new piece unless its not worth the cost.
FunDa
Does it work in the back panel USB...

I had problems with a fash drive which is not recognised from the front panel but works fine from the back panel...

Some other flash drives work perfectly on both the front and back panels ...\
Maybe this is the same problem...

Or has it stopped working on all computers alltogether ...

And while we're thinking of this, does anyone know why a USB that works fine with the back panel on a computer doesn't work on the front panel of the same computer ?????
azhad
Hi JohnDa,

Front Panel USB not working could be due to:
    the person assembling a computer forgetting to plug in the front panel jacks to the motherboard.
    the motherboard not having sockets or not supporting front panel USB.
Luckily most new computers (with new motherboards and casings) have support for front panel USB chips.
ganesh
I think maybe front panel USB ports are USB 1.1 and back panel might be USB 2.0.. I have had problems with an USB extension cord which gave multiple USB 1.1 ports from a single USB 2.0 port. So it might be something like that...
kangnana
How to reformat Flash Disc?
kangnana
How to protect the Flash Disc?
psycosquirrel
Reformat by right-clicking the drive in My Computer and clicking Format.

Locking it is usually done by flipping a physical switch on the flash card. If there is not one, you cannot hardware lock the memory.
azhad
ganesh wrote:
I think maybe front panel USB ports are USB 1.1 and back panel might be USB 2.0.. I have had problems with an USB extension cord which gave multiple USB 1.1 ports from a single USB 2.0 port. So it might be something like that...
It is not necessary for front USB to be limited to USB 1.1. The manufacturer can make all USB ports USB 2.0.

Front USB 1.1 is not a good idea due to slow speed of USB 1.1 and the fact that most thumb drives are used in the front USB slots.