FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Professional Tarot

Manus et Therion
Check out my new website http://www.thelemicwaves.frih.net/index.html where I am offering professional Tarot readings.

Besides this place, does anyone have any good suggestions for how to promote your website?
Captain Fertile
WOW! $56 an hour! Shocked

A little out of my league I am afraid otherwise I may have tried your service. I can get a personal reading here for 10 and that can last an hour or more. But I am sure this service will be of value ot some.

The site design does not instaly make you look as professional as i customer may wish when paying this amount but I guess this shows you spend your time actually doing the tarot business.

The site is a good point of contact.

I feel the music and image on the hiome page is a little too much of a cliche' but then nobody likes a cliche' more than I.

Thanks for sharing your site.
Manus et Therion
That seems to work out to about $20 an hour. I have not seen this for a live reading where I am unless it is at a psychic fair, where readings are marathon style one after the other.

My normal rate is $111 an hour which gives me about five readings a day. But because I offer that with some over head, and there's none for this website, I have offered a lower rate.

Thanks for the feed back.

And the music, it is a midi version of Aleister Crowley's "Gnostic Mass", so I find it hard to call cliche'
Manus et Therion
Captain Fertile wrote:
WOW! $56 an hour! Shocked

A little out of my league I am afraid otherwise I may have tried your service. I can get a personal reading here for 10 and that can last an hour or more. But I am sure this service will be of value ot some.

The site design does not instaly make you look as professional as i customer may wish when paying this amount but I guess this shows you spend your time actually doing the tarot business.

The site is a good point of contact.

I feel the music and image on the hiome page is a little too much of a cliche' but then nobody likes a cliche' more than I.

Thanks for sharing your site.

My rate is still $56 an hour (again, i don't know where you get your prices) which is still less than the $111 an hour I charge elsewhere. But now i am offering it in one minute blocks, buy what you think you need.

What advice, constructive criticism, can you offer me about the site?
plato
not atteractive
Manus et Therion
plato wrote:
not atteractive

Now what does that mean? Not atteractive?

Let me inform people here, this is how to give feedback and how not to give feedback.

Give feedback by describing what you see. Don't describe what a person did. 1) They may not be doing what you think you see, 2) you don't know exactly why they did it. Give feedback by telling how you are affected by what you are giving feedback about, don't describe what you want done instead (that is called attempting to control someone). Give feedback by offering a solution, focusing on the negative aspects of your criticisms only serves to make you look non-constructive.

Destructive feedback is telling a person what is wrong - and if that is all you can do, it makes you look bad.

Constructive feedback is telling a person what can be done. And if you do that, you look like a helpful person.

Thank you for your feedback, but you've been minimal help at best. If you have any suggestions of what I can do to improve the site, I'd really appreciate that.
Digital Thoth
Far be it for me to swoop in and take away all your salt and vinegar, but your site could use a more of a professional touch. Not to be rude, but it appears something a beginning web-designer would make.

Maybe change the background to a single color, and take off some of the less professional gifs? Take a pic of the card in a real layout, instead of photoshopping them together?

Just a couple ideas.
Manus et Therion
Digital Thoth wrote:
Far be it for me to swoop in and take away all your salt and vinegar, but your site could use a more of a professional touch. Not to be rude, but it appears something a beginning web-designer would make.

Maybe change the background to a single color, and take off some of the less professional gifs? Take a pic of the card in a real layout, instead of photoshopping them together?

Just a couple ideas.

You are being rude. Salt and vinegar? Come on. You meant it.
Liar.

But thank you for the _constructive_ feedback.... although not at all helpful, because I am a beginning web designer. In fact, I am not a web designer at all.

So, yes, you are rude, and, to the point, mean.

Photoshopping pictures? I do not not know what you mean. I have only one picture... The Magus tarot card from the Crowley Thoth Tarot Deck (copyright US Games, used with permission), which is an image they distribute to those who request. What exactly are you referring to? Just an opportunity to feel superior?

Please, if you CAN help, help. Otherwise... go on with your own life.
{name here}
Okay first of all, use a solid background or don't repeat the background. Repeating backgrounds are for geocities. Secondly, serif looks best on a white background so try to use sans serif instead. Also, use higher quality images or don't expand the images beyond their normal size. Hit counters are a 90s thing that aren't really anything that should be on a professional website. It's okay for a blog, but not a professional website. Put your links of interest in a links page. Have one unified menu, too, or have one on top for global navigation and one on the left for things related to the topic. I won't comment any further for now.
Manus et Therion
{name here} wrote:
Okay first of all, use a solid background or don't repeat the background. Repeating backgrounds are for geocities. Secondly, serif looks best on a white background so try to use sans serif instead. Also, use higher quality images or don't expand the images beyond their normal size. Hit counters are a 90s thing that aren't really anything that should be on a professional website. It's okay for a blog, but not a professional website. Put your links of interest in a links page. Have one unified menu, too, or have one on top for global navigation and one on the left for things related to the topic. I won't comment any further for now.

Thank you. That was relevant and made a lot of sense. I will get right on it tomorrow. Again, thank you.
Manus et Therion
I've tried looking on the FriHost forums but couldn't find any thing, and since this thread is about my site I'll use this to continue to seek your helpful advice.

I'm using FrontPage to design my site but I am not happy with the discussion thread templates I have to make a discussion forum for my site. Does any one have any useful suggestions - how can I code a discussion forum when I don't know html well enough to start from scratch? What's the best discussion forum format to use?

I'm also using Flash right now, looking into it any way, learning from the tutorials - and I'll be adding more interactive features so that others can learn about tarot.

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Digital Thoth
Quote:
You are being rude. Salt and vinegar? Come on. You meant it.
Liar.

If I were being rude, I would certainly not have kept my opinion to the web-site in question. You asked for constructive feedback, so you shouldn't be offended when you get it.

Quote:
But thank you for the _constructive_ feedback.... although not at all helpful, because I am a beginning web designer. In fact, I am not a web designer at all.

Then don't ask people who aren't beginning web designers what they think. Whenever I see a new designer produce something, my first instinct is, you've got it, 'they're new at this'. If your website doesn't look professional, how will anyone take you as professional.

Quote:
So, yes, you are rude, and, to the point, mean.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, just giving you the ideas you wanted.

Quote:
Photoshopping pictures? I do not not know what you mean. I have only one picture... The Magus tarot card from the Crowley Thoth Tarot Deck (copyright US Games, used with permission), which is an image they distribute to those who request. What exactly are you referring to? Just an opportunity to feel superior?

I'm refering to the conglomeration of images on your layout page, as well as scatterd out through the entire website.

Quote:
Please, if you CAN help, help. Otherwise... go on with your own life.

The most amazing thing is that even though you are asking for help, you are more than willing to attack anyone who doesn't sugar coat it for you. Accept the facts. It is an amature's job. And, as your website is an extention of your profession, it makes you look vaugly amaturish.
Manus et Therion
Digital Thoth wrote:
If I were being rude, I would certainly not have kept my opinion to the web-site in question. You asked for constructive feedback, so you shouldn't be offended when you get it.

Giving Constructive Feedback
Adapted From: Coaching & Mentoring For Dummies

Performance feedback can be given two ways: through constructive feedback or through praise and criticism. Don't fall into the trap of giving praise and criticism on employee performance.

Constructive feedback is information-specific, issue-focused, and based on observations. It comes in two varieties:

Positive feedback is news or input to an employee about an effort well done.

Negative feedback is news to an employee about an effort that needs improvement. Negative feedback doesn't mean a terrible performance, but rather a performance in which the outcomes delivered should be better. So negative is not a negative word in this case.

Praise and criticism are both personal judgments about a performance effort or outcome, with praise being a favorable judgment and criticism, an unfavorable judgment. Information given is general and vague, focused on the person, and based on opinions or feelings.

The guidelines for giving constructive feedback fall into four categories: content, manner, timing, and frequency.

Content
Content is what you say in the constructive feedback.

1. In your first sentence, identify the topic or issue that the feedback will be about.

2. Provide the specifics of what occurred.

Without the specifics, you only have praise or criticism. Start each key point with an "I" message, such as, "I have noticed," "I have observed," "I have seen," or when the need exists to pass on feedback from others, "I have had reported to me." "I" messages help you be issue-focused and get into the specifics.

Manner
Manner is how you say the constructive feedback. As you may know, how you say something often carries more weight than what you have to say manner is an important element when giving feedback.

Be direct when delivering your message. Get to the point and avoid beating around the bush. Both negative and positive feedback should be given in a straightforward manner.

Avoid "need to" phrases, which send implied messages that something that didn't go well. For example, "Jane, you need to get your reports turned in on time, and you need to spell check them." This message is not really performance feedback. It implies that Jane did not do something well with her reports, but it doesn't report exactly what happened. Providing clarity on what occurred is the aim of feedback.

Be sincere and avoid giving mixed messages. Sincerity says that you mean what you say with care and respect. Mixed messages are referred to as "yes, but" messages. For example, "John, you have worked hard on this project, but. . . ." What follows is something the person is not doing well and is the real point of the message. The word "but," along with its cousins "however" and "although," when said in the middle of a thought, create contradictions or mixed messages. In essence, putting "but" in the middle tells the other person, "Don't believe a thing I said before."

In positive feedback situations, express appreciation. Appreciation alone is praise. Yet when you add it to the specifics of constructive feedback, your message carries an extra oomph of sincerity.

For example: "Sue, your handling of all the processing work while John did the callbacks made for an efficient effort and showed good teamwork. Everything you did was accurate, as well. Thanks so much for helping out. Such initiative is a real value to the team."

In negative feedback situations, express concern. A tone of concern communicates a sense of importance and care and provides the appropriate level of sincerity to the message. Tones such as anger, frustration, disappointment, and the ever-popular sarcasm tend to color the language of the message and turn attempts at negative feedback into criticism. The content of the message gets lost in the noise and harshness.

The purpose of negative feedback is to create awareness that can lead to correction or improvement in performance. If you can't give negative feedback in a helpful manner, in the language and tone of concern, you defeat its purpose.

State observations, not interpretations. Observations are what you see occur; interpretations are your analysis or opinion of what you see occur. Tell what you've noticed, not what you think of it, and report the behavior you notice at a concrete level, instead of as a characterization of the behavior. Observations have a far more factual and nonjudgmental aspect than do interpretations.

---
And notice that some people do give criticism and constructive feedback in a helpful manner, and it gets listened to.
Digital Thoth
Don't be this guy..

And, this post has done nothing but degenerate since the first opinion(while not very efficent) was posted. So, you shoot back with another scathing reply, I'm bowing out.
{name here}
Manus et Therion wrote:
I've tried looking on the FriHost forums but couldn't find any thing, and since this thread is about my site I'll use this to continue to seek your helpful advice.

I'm using FrontPage to design my site but I am not happy with the discussion thread templates I have to make a discussion forum for my site. Does any one have any useful suggestions - how can I code a discussion forum when I don't know html well enough to start from scratch? What's the best discussion forum format to use?

Don't use FrontPage to design sites. If you can't design a site by hand go for Nvu at the least. Don't trap yourself with FrontPage - it produces inferior Internet Explorer 6 specific code that's more bloated than other WYSIWYG editors like Dreamweaver. I learned to code by hand from looking at the code Dreamweaver produced, and enhancing it.

Quote:
I'm also using Flash right now, looking into it any way, learning from the tutorials - and I'll be adding more interactive features so that others can learn about tarot.

If you want your site to be accessible to the blind and web crawlers don't use flash for a full blown website. It's nice for accenting but always provide HTML for those that can only read through HTML.
Manus et Therion
oh no, I wasn't going to use Flash for the entire website, just to have at least one interactive page about tarot cards - a sort of mouse over a card and learn about it, click it and learn even more about it. But only a few pieces of the site here and there... not the whole site.
Manus et Therion
I consider my method of Tarot reading to be a scientific approach. By that I mean that I don't depend on "hunchy" ideas or superstitious models. I'm not tapping into akashic records or psychic vibes or whatever other people might be claiming. In fact, I'm not totally sure how real any of those claims can actually be (though I am always welcoming new investigative research).

Generally speaking, the way I see it is a game of numbers and patterns. The Universe is a mathematical model or mathematical machine - however you prefer to look at it. And in this model, all things are in some way or another, directly or indirectly, connected. The Tarot is a tool of numbers and patterns which we can use to see exactly how the Universe is spinning at any particular moment and, as a result of careful training and examination, this grouping of numbers and patterns can be applied to find the answer to any question we might have.

And since I don't base my readings on "hunches" or "clairvoyance" or "clairaudience," my readings are semi-traditional. What I mean is that I have collected a large data bank of words and phrases, ideas and experiences, associated with each individual card. I, for one, don't buy into the "I have never read a Tarot book in my life, I just was given a deck of cards and started using them" concept. Of course, I'm also prone to laugh when I'm told "I'm a fifth generation witch, I was first taught by my great-grandma the ways of the Craft." But that's just me and those of you who know me personally can figure that out.

Where I do apply my intuitive skills, sometimes involving the clairs, is when I have to take all this hodgepodge, perhaps cook-book style, of examining each card individually and put the whole picture together to form a coherent response from the cards regarding your inquiry. You can expect a very accurate reading from me. The cards always get to the matter very well as far as I can tell. The only times there seems a failure in this is either when I am not able to comprehend the cards accurately, or when the querrent refuses to hear what the cards are suggesting.

But the scientific approach is one that is based on years of collecting information and applying it. It is a tested method. If you hire my services don't expect vague and nebulous mysticism. Don't expect mamby-pamby feel good words unless of course those things are definitely headed your way. Don't, above all, expect a "fortune telling" reading where I will tell you definitely what your destiny holds - because your destiny is always unfolding and you are truly the one in control. And finally, don't expect to not be told what you need to know, even if what you need to know is that you aren't ready for success.

Mostly I use the Thoth Tarot and let me warn you, Thoth just loves to be brutally honest at times.
Hobbit
I skipped all the unnecessary drama.

Usually, before charging so much, you have to be established first. Make a name for yourself, THEN raise your prices. Some people even start by doing their services for free at first.
Manus et Therion
Hobbit wrote:
I skipped all the unnecessary drama.

Usually, before charging so much, you have to be established first. Make a name for yourself, THEN raise your prices. Some people even start by doing their services for free at first.

Did you look at the site? Apparently not. I have 25 years experience and a large client base already.
wumingsden
A concern has been raised about this thread via the warning system.

Manus et Therion, you should accept the risk of opposing opinions when you open a thread in the advertise your website forum, so deal with the negetive things that people may say and imrpove them or refrain from being so defensive. You have to realise that members have their own opinion, and they are asking them to do what they doing.

Now, back on topic.

Your Website...

Change the title tags from
Code:
<title>THELEMIC WAVES WEBSITE</title>
to
Code:
<title>Thelemic Waves</title>
, it seems like your shouting and looks un-professional.

Music.
Personlly I don't like the bkacground music, you have to remember that not everyone likes what you do. Be less ego-centric and remove the music, or at least give your visitors the option to stop it (maybe via a nice little flash player?).

Images.
Next, sort out the Skype images, there not showing.
The main image (01.jpg) is really bad quality. Improve it or remove it.

Layout.
Remove the duplicate Skype talk, it may be symmetrical but it doesn't look professional.

Further Improvements.
Buy a domain name, it'll sound more professional.

Ads.
Remove the top Google Ad or intergrate the colour scheme of the site into the banner.

Links.
Move the Other Links Of Interest on a seperate links page like already suggested. Move the copyright to the bottom of the page. Move the search box higher. Move the webring to the links page.

Colours.
Blue, red and black are not a good-looking colour co-ordination.

White boxes.
What are they for?
Manus et Therion
wumingsden wrote:
A concern has been raised about this thread via the warning system.

Manus et Therion, you should accept the risk of opposing opinions when you open a thread in the advertise your website forum, so deal with the negetive things that people may say and imrpove them or refrain from being so defensive. You have to realise that members have their own opinion, and they are asking them to do what they doing.

I have been receiving the feedback on this thread rather well. Some folks did not offer any constructive feedback and I pointed that out - that was some time ago - so I do not believe that you are talking about that. On the other hand, I suspect that you are concerned with my response to the Hobbit - who's view appears to be trolling if you ask me because he can see if he visits my site that I already am established. This is just a new connection point I am creating. I have a large client base already, I do offer free time before any hire, and my prices are low on this site compared to my other service locations. In fact, this website is my lowest offer.

But I wouldn't expect Hobbit to know that.

So far, this site has gained me two new customers and I am quite satisfied with that rate of growth for the moment. This site is not my bread and butter.

wumingsden wrote:
Change the title tags from
Code:
<title>THELEMIC WAVES WEBSITE</title>
to
Code:
<title>Thelemic Waves</title>
, it seems like your shouting and looks un-professional.

Done. And this is not defensiveness - this is explanation. I do not know html code. As of now, my only skills are using FrontPage and not very skilled at that. Apparently I had no idea what you were talking about at first but I think I fixed it. Nor was I aware it was visible to anyone.

wumingsden wrote:
Music.
Personlly I don't like the bkacground music, you have to remember that not everyone likes what you do. Be less ego-centric and remove the music, or at least give your visitors the option to stop it (maybe via a nice little flash player?).

Done a second time. I don't know how the music got back there. I thought it was gone. And calling me "ego-centric", btw, (and I tell you this as one who has worked over 7 years in the mental health field for the State of Nebraska) is not productive means of delivering feedback. And, by the way, that song is the official anthem of the Gnostic Catholic Church - so odd that you would think my ego had any thing to do with it.

wumingsden wrote:
Images.
Next, sort out the Skype images, there not showing.
The main image (01.jpg) is really bad quality. Improve it or remove it.

I'm sorry, I do not know what you are encountering. They 1) always show for me and 2) are not mine to control. Either I have them or I don't. Now, I suppose I could go back to Skype and select different ones - but again, I'm not sure of this issue nor which ones need adjusting. Can you clarify for me?

wumingsden wrote:
Layout.
Remove the duplicate Skype talk, it may be symmetrical but it doesn't look professional.

I'm already working on moving into Dreamweaver, at which time I will change the layout a friend made for me. If I had more time and knowledge, things would look better much sooner.

wumingsden wrote:
Further Improvements.
Buy a domain name, it'll sound more professional.

Then I might as well pay a hosting service, which I just might do. How do I buy a domain name and using it with Frih? This is news to me.

wumingsden wrote:
Ads.
Remove the top Google Ad or intergrate the colour scheme of the site into the banner.

It does match the colors, doesn't it? Black and Red. I'm not even sure I'll keep the google ads any way. It was just a trial to see what it was worth.

wumingsden wrote:
Links.
Move the Other Links Of Interest on a seperate links page like already suggested. Move the copyright to the bottom of the page. Move the search box higher. Move the webring to the links page.

Yes. I have heard this before. I'm sure I'll get to it as soon as I can, i just keep forgetting about that. In fact, I may eliminate it altogether also - right along with google ads. I was just doing a free favor for certain friends of interest and showing others who don't know me some of my interests and the direction my philosophy comes from.

wumingsden wrote:
Colours.
Blue, red and black are not a good-looking colour co-ordination

Except on some spiders and Thelemic Documents.

wumingsden wrote:
White boxes.
What are they for?

Now I am confused for sure. What white boxes?
Hobbit
Where is that information? Probably hidden in some page that isn't even indexed.

Plus, you may have a lot of experience offline, but that doesn't automatically establish you online. It takes a lot more than that. If this site isn't for random people who visit it online, then you shouldn't have posted it in the first place. It appears that it's for people who know you in person and visit your cave, or wherever it is you do these readings.

You are very rude. My post was actually constructive. I was trying to help you get more clients. That's how things work, you do them for free, or cheap, and once the demand is high you higher your prices. I guess you concentrated too much on Parrot reading and skipped your Economics class.
Manus et Therion
Hobbit wrote:
Where is that information? Probably hidden in some page that isn't even indexed.

Plus, you may have a lot of experience offline, but that doesn't automatically establish you online. It takes a lot more than that. If this site isn't for random people who visit it online, then you shouldn't have posted it in the first place. It appears that it's for people who know you in person and visit your cave, or wherever it is you do these readings.

You are very rude. My post was actually constructive. I was trying to help you get more clients. That's how things work, you do them for free, or cheap, and once the demand is high you higher your prices. I guess you concentrated too much on Parrot reading and skipped your Economics class.

"After we discuss your reading desires, and you feel I am worth the effort, payment is accepted via PayPal and your full session can begin."
http://www.thelemicwaves.frih.net/my_spreads.htm

"For the past 25 years I have been giving readings to others live in person, at parties, over the telephone, or through the mail and Internet. I was first introduced to the tarot at the age of 14 and have made it a major part of my life since.

I have also been initiated into several traditions of the magickal arts, all of which in some way or another are created to grant greater understanding of the various symbolic natures which the tarot also uses. My education in this way involves magickal symbolism, Qabalah, and Astrology (all related, by the way).

I also am a student working towards a Masters in Psychology with 72 credit hours currently under my belt (yeah, should be nearly done by now, but life has many things to offer sometimes)."
http://www.thelemicwaves.frih.net/Qualifications.htm

Neither of those pages are buried or without notable links.

"I guess you concentrate too much on Parrot reading..." is very rude. Starting and ending feedback with insults against the person, and not just expressing your _opinion_ about the topic, is more than rude.

I have taken a lot of constructive feedback on this thread and implemented it. So if you think that I haven't, then your thinking has an error to it. It would have required you to read all of the posts above for you to know that - but you chose not to.

Although you were attempting to be insulting and frivolous when you called my place "a cave or wherever", I laugh in good faith. My original plan for this Frihost website was called the Grotto and we affectionately call my apartment "the cave.' You must be psychic yourself! Maybe that's why you aren't in the habit of collecting all the facts before pronouncing judgement.