FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows XP or HDD?

web-geek
So my roomate hard-crashed my PC the other night and the next time i started up my PC I found out i had some Major PC problems! oh nos! Started off with a standerd Scan-Disk scan and it fixed index found at $130 and that was it. After I XP booted, I logged into my pc and nothing happened... just a black and blank screen. In frustration I pushed my power button and my deskop appeared. The only way to get to my desktop is to push my power button after entering my password.

Inside windows several of my programs dont work anymore (anything windows... messenger, IE, WMP, and updates will not install correctly) and games wont work (CS:S and any newly installed game) Counterstrike gets an error where the ram cannot be read.

what is your opinion?
myrevolt
I don't suppose what they did to the computer, do you?
Depending on the situation, it might be a hardware problem, the power-button thing is very weird indeed. RAM error isn't a good sign, but the BIOS should issue the error not a program.

Therefore, as I see it, you have a few options:

A) Backup your data by plugging the harddrive into another computer (and booting from the other computer's OS) then do a fresh install of Windows once you have backed your data to CDs/DVDs or another hdd.

B) Insert the Windows XP cd into your cd-rom tray and when it has loaded (if it doesn't boot from the CD, then change your bootorder in the BIOS) then do a "Repair Install" and follow the directions on-screen.

C) Pop in a Linux live-cd such as Knoppix 3.7 ISO and run an anti-virus. PM me for individual trouble-shootin assistance.
Bones
Actually, BIOS rarely ever catches RAM errors unless the RAM is totally trashed.
The BIOS runs a half second ram check where a real ram test will run for hours. Total failures will be picked up by BIOS, degradation failures rarely will be.

Also, a repair install may not be a bad idea, but you need to do a couple of things first. If your XP disk does not have service pack 2, and your pc does, then SP2 must be uninstalled first or you will just make the situation much worse. Also, if you have IE 7 installed, that should be removed before SP2.
Sunny
You have to press power button after you give the password? thats really weird!!

Try pressing alt+cntrl+del instead of pressing the power buttion and see if it loads.

* Try to use system restore and go back to the setting when your pc was working fine.
*If that doesn't works, then try to use SYSTEM FILE RECOVERY by clicking start>run> type SFC /SCAN NOW.
*Boot your pc with xp cd and try to rapair the installation
theswolf
maybe your MBR has some problem

try to boot from win cd ( better ultimate-boot-cd ) and try to launch the fixmbr program:

maybe doesn'work and it tells you a scandisk:

in this case:
scandisk
installmbr
and to be sure fixmbr
if also after that it's broken try to check your disk, backup your data and reinstall the operative system
web-geek
thanks for all the ideas! ill get working on it! thanks

more problems happend when I tried to work on it.... now windows is compleetly messed up. when a document is oppend with notepad that isn't suppose to be, and you get the wierd charecters like the square and so forth... thats what all my windows looks like now. so im going to reformat my pc and reinstall windows (i dont have sp2 atm so im not to worried about that) or even take this time to upgrade to vista. if you see any flaw in that logic plz let me know =D thanks for your help!
KHO
theswolf wrote:
maybe your MBR has some problem

try to boot from win cd ( better ultimate-boot-cd ) and try to launch the fixmbr program:

maybe doesn'work and it tells you a scandisk:

in this case:
scandisk
installmbr
and to be sure fixmbr
if also after that it's broken try to check your disk, backup your data and reinstall the operative system

Its not the MBR or he wouldnt have windows starting at all.

Is your computer making any new, very odd noises?
I would recommend that before you completely re-install windows, you go ahead and try a linux disk first and just use clam av to scan it (or some av). If it seems that your computer is running fine, then this would prob fix some of it, though honestly im thinking this is just a bad corruption of the OS. After the av scan is completed, then try windows again, if my hunch is correct then you will still need a re-install, boot back into linux and copy everything you need onto a fat32 removable drive. then boot to the windows disk (your SP wont matter, just do a full format and remove all the files.) make sure and update immediately.
web-geek
ive tried many things but i finaly had to reformat and reinstall. thanks for all the sugguestions! issue has been fixed obviously 0.o