FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Check out my "new" retro stereo system

ocalhoun
I bought this system mainly for it's looks, and am using it as part of my computer's sound system. I find it amazing how well this '80s(?) style matches the ultra-modern style (such as the monitor you can see part of below it).

If you're wondering what that thing on top if it is, that's a wireless router that had the misfortune of falling and getting it's faceplate busted off. It still works, though.
psycosquirrel
Brushed aluminum for the win!
Arnie
I always enjoy the looks of old gear like that. But I assume your computer's sound system isn't 7.1 Wink
ocalhoun
^More like 2.0...
However, I use splitters and have a total of 6 speakers connected to it at the moment. The bass may not quite shake the ground, and there is a tiny bit of noise, but the end effect is quite acceptable, and also very cheap.
Arnie
Funny how you go for looking great, sounding OK Very Happy but I kind of did the same with my computer's sound, except the system is not so retro-looking and a bit smaller:
http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/usersys/cmxxZp1okw/photo/2/
brycearonium
it's kinda cool, if your into that sort of thing. i kinda of like newer looks better though. did you say it was new? what did you do? gut an old case and replace it what?
ocalhoun
^ New to me; it is genuine vintage equipment, though.
djcaution
I love the way those needles on vintage stereos like that move to the music or whatever sound is coming out of them. I think more modern sound equipment should have a display like that instead of just the electronic meter thing filling. A bunch of needles moving looks way cooler
TheGeek
wow, that does look pretty cool. I'm hoping to add a lot more hardware to my setup once my setup is a little more permanent. Right now I am in a dorm room where I move rooms every year, but next year I will have an apartment that I can keep a constant setup and I hope to add some more sound components to my rig Very Happy