FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

German and Cyrillic character sets

woodenbrick
Does anyone know of a character set that allows the usage of German characters as well as the Cyrillic alphabet? I am creating a translation site for German, English and Bulgarian, I'm using windows-1251 character set, which is fine for most things, except I can't use umlauts.
Indi
Why not Unicode? Particularly UTF-8?
woodenbrick
I just tried using UTF-8 it and it doesn't work. Any umlauts I use are replaced with '?'. It also changes my Cyrillic to ?. From reading that site Unicode should work, though I don't know exactly what to do to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Indi
woodenbrick wrote:
I just tried using UTF-8 it and it doesn't work. Any umlauts I use are replaced with '?'. It also changes my Cyrillic to ?. From reading that site Unicode should work, though I don't know exactly what to do to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Without knowing more details, it's impossible to know what the problem is. It could be that your browser is assuming the wrong character set, or it could be that you haven't saved the web page correctly, or it could be that you don't have a font that supports those character sets, or it could be... anything, really.

Check this page. It works fine for me, and it should (in theory) work fine for anyone whose browser supports Unicode (which goes all the way back to Netscape 3 on Windows) and hasn't deliberately fudged the settings so that it absolutely will not use UTF-8 even when specified. i have installed special support for Japanese (which probably includes Chinese), and for Polish (which may include Russian as part of the package of languages) - but i do not have special support for either Hebrew or Arabic installed and they show up fine.

If that page doesn't work for you, then one of two things is likely your problem.
1.) You don't support Unicode - which is a big problem. i can't even imagine how you can work with Cyrillic without supporting Unicode.
2.) Your browser has been set to ignore any character encoding information and use something else. All you have to do is unset that - i can't imagine how it could have gotten set, because most browsers don't come default like that.

If that page works for you, then your problem is likely one of these two things:
1.) You haven't saved your page properly as UTF-8.
2.) You haven't included character encoding information in your page, and your browser is guessing wrong. Just put this line in the head section of your page and it should work:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
woodenbrick
Indi wrote:

If that page works for you, then your problem is likely one of these two things:
1.) You haven't saved your page properly as UTF-8.

Im not sure how to save a page as UTF-8, I already had the meta tag included in the page so that wasn't the problem.
The page you put up works fine, apart from the Japanese and Chinese so I'm sure I have Unicode support.
Thank you for all your help, after much scouring the net this morning I found this way to place umlauts on the page without ruining everything else:
Code:
&auml;

Seems to work fine, so I think i'll use this method.
makli
If you use Unicode, you don't have to use things like "&auml;", you can just write "". The same should happen to cyrillic texts. I tried this "Ж" (I took it from the character panel in WinXP), and it seems to work fine.

If you have changed your character set to "UTF-8", all Unicode characters will work. Or does your server change the character set in any way? You could look in your browser (the german menu entries are "Ansicht->Codierung") which code your system uses.

HTH

Makli