FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DMOZ-Is it really a big deal?

nappa
I've read on some blogs saying that google also rely on DMOZ, is that true?
Do we really need to get indexed in DMOZ? I've tried to submit few of my sites to DMOZ, but none of these sites get indexed!!!

What's wrong with DMOZ anyway? Any idea how to get idexed?

Thanks
badai
u need to submit your site manually, and the editor will add it manually.
nappa
badai wrote:
u need to submit your site manually, and the editor will add it manually.

I did submit it manually, never use the software to automatically submit your site anyway.

The thing is DMOZ never ever indexed any of my site! That's wierd...
badai
being indexed by dmoz is like getting account at frihost. keyword: manual.

there's nothing weird about it. either your site is not qualified to be index on that category, the editors are busy, or there is no editor for that category.

don't bother to ask anyway. that might piss them off. just try to submit again.
nappa
hmmm IC thanks, so submit again is the way to go.
manumiglani
Don't submit more than once. They may list your website as spam. Submit once and forget about it.
nappa
manumiglani wrote:
Don't submit more than once. They may list your website as spam. Submit once and forget about it.

Look like you two don't agree with submitting more that once, so what is the right way to go. Anybody ?
Hobbit
Maybe if you improve your website's content, look, etc. they will let you on the second try.
manumiglani
nappa wrote:
manumiglani wrote:

Look like you two don't agree with submitting more that once, so what is the right way to go. Anybody ?

The only right way to do this is to follow the instructions on http://dmoz.org/add.html and submit your website only once. Thats it!
dacode
Hello,

Well, it depends when you last submitted your site to DMOZ.
After the late big crash on the DMOZ servers (from October till January) lots of site submissions have been lost in the failure.
So it might be a good thing to re-submit if you did it prior to that.
manumiglani
dacode wrote:
Hello,

Well, it depends when you last submitted your site to DMOZ.
After the late big crash on the DMOZ servers (from October till January) lots of site submissions have been lost in the failure.
So it might be a good thing to re-submit if you did it prior to that.

They were not accepting any submissions during their hardware problem period. And, where did dmoz state that they have lost website submissions in their hardware problem period?
vignesh_natraj
there is lot of flare that dmpz editors are corrupt and things like that
but we should to leave it without trying it.
just submit your site once and forget who know after a month or year your sites may get listed in the index of dmoz Very Happy
solidghost
If I am not wrong, Google does make use of dmoz to figure out what a site is about. But then, it is not prefect.

And yup, been reading a lot of such corrupt editors. Come on, what is dmoz doing?
dacode
Hello manumiglani,

Quote:
They were not accepting any submissions during their hardware problem period. And, where did dmoz state that they have lost website submissions in their hardware problem period?

I can only speak for my country (France), and of course, you don't have to believe me; I just know what I say. And I did not say that DMOZ was accepting site submission during servers crash.
manumiglani
dacode wrote:
Hello manumiglani,

Quote:

I can only speak for my country (France), and of course, you don't have to believe me; I just know what I say. And I did not say that DMOZ was accepting site submission during servers crash.

Hello Dacode,

Dmoz does not have separate website or servers for any country. There is no separate Dmoz France. All the listings for any region or country is carried out on dmoz.org only. For example, for france it is http://dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/France/
Also, I am bound to believe you if you provide me with the source Smile
dacode
Hello manumiglani,

Are you a dmoz editor ?
If you want to be more aware of what's going on inside DMOZ, I suggest you apply.
And if you are a dmoz editor, I suggest you read the editors forums sometimes.
If I was speaking about countries, that's because each language has its own editor forums, and all the topics are not covered the same way, that's all.

So I will not provide you with the source, because what's said inside editors forums is private, and if you want to check anything about DMOZ, just apply like I did a few years ago.

PS : Of course, if you want to check that as well, look for my pseudo as an editor Wink
manumiglani
Hello dacode,

I am not a Dmoz editor and don't wanna be because of -
Corrupt Dmoz Editors
How to Bribe a DMOZ Editor
Sabotaging a Competitors DMOZ Listing for Fun & Profit
DMOZ editor charged $350 dollars to get 'reviewed
DMOZ Editorship For Sale on Ebay
Dirty Tricks at the DMOZ
DMOZ editor wants $300 to list my site

Now, with these I can believe you are a dmoz editor.
dacode
Hi again,

Quote:

Could you explain why ? You cannot go away with just a few links and the same old song that can be applied to everything in the world, the old strategy of putting all the eggs in the same basket.

Quote:

It doesn't sound very nice to me, as a vicious personal attack.

I won't follow you on that path. I've just tried to answer and help nappa with my (inner) knwowledge on the topic.
manumiglani
Hello dacode,

I just said that I believe you are a dmoz editor. This is not an attack by any means my friend. I just meant anyone can become editor if these dam corrupt ones can.
lpstong
Besides there is much talk about DMOZ just plain out failing. For may reasons that already have been listed. I also know that since that DMOZ is so big that they do not have many editors and many sections and or Categories are left unsupervised and that many submissions never get accepted because of this. Many of things I have read about and agree to manumiglani already listed. So it isnt always a good thing to get in with the DMOZ.
simonfrank
First request on DOMZ forum,

Hi,

I just want to know, do we receive an email when submitted website is not approved?

I'm waiting for my website to be approved, it meets all the DMOZ guidelines. been like a month, still waiting

regard
JobSite.lk

answer was NO!!!!!!

MY REPLY on DMOZ

Thank you very much jimnoble, Twhite for replies

its been over a month now, still not listed.

giving up DMOZ anyway.

if an individual volunteer can approve or reject a website without giving any reasons, doesn't sound too good.

maybe he/she just didn't like the website, or maybe he/she was high on drugs when they check the website? lol possible right? Very Happy

anyway i noticed most of the tools removing DMOZ from their results eg. SEOquake . Must have a good reason.

Regards,
JobSite.lk
(hope this posting will not removed by admins)

We say No to DMOZ from Now on!!!
psychorollercoaster
these days it seems it is difficult to get indexed on DMOZ, but there are ways....just google corrupt DMOZ....you could use of the views there Wink
abhizz
nappa wrote:
I've read on some blogs saying that google also rely on DMOZ, is that true?
Do we really need to get indexed in DMOZ? I've tried to submit few of my sites to DMOZ, but none of these sites get indexed!!!

What's wrong with DMOZ anyway? Any idea how to get idexed?

Thanks

Are you crazy?? why should Google rely on Dmoz?? and if you need to add your website to them 'domain authority is must'
ankitdatashn
I doubt whether DMOZ is accepting new entries, so many people I know have had 0 luck with DMOZ
couponsarcade
well how much time DMOZ takes to Index you in their Directory ?
biolu
Just submitted my website to DMOZ, well let's see in a couple of months what result I will get. Smile
Whatever will be will be!
tony69
@nappa DMOZ is always a keen point to reflect Google that site is authenticate, good in short site can be trusted and will be helpful to user therefore getting listed will directly increase reputation of your site and will increase in PR too.
playfungames
It was a big deal, but now thanks to these algorithmic changes in Google that started in the beginning of 2011, DMOZ is not the big thing any more. If I remember correctly, I think that even DMOZ was penalized. I am not sure though.

Now the big deal is: Having Quality Content that is Unique.
mishainfotech
Yes, of course inclusion in DMOZ is a great thing but it is not mandatory. What you want to achieve in SEO is good rankins you can achieve it via other off-page techniques as well.