FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

does we really need to submit xml sitemap to google?

nappa
I always submit sitemap too google, but since I've been working for a new company. I've never submit the sitemap again because my boss said that google will index all the pages anyway and our website has more than 10,000 pages to index. So he said that better not bother submitting the sitemap...

However I believe that submitting the sitemap is a better idea. We don't have to submit the specific URLs, directories instead.

Any comment on these? just wanna know what peoplt think...
solki
I think that submitting a site map to google sitemaps is a really good idea. Google bots will better index your pages, and will not omitt those ones which are generated dynamicly. The google sitemaps is crated for some reason and if it exists i think you should upload your sitemap.
biljap
Why wouldn’t you submit a Sitemap when it’s very easy to find online Sitemap generators (for example, http://www.sitemapspal.com/).
The main benefit of the Google Sitemap is that you are suggesting information to Google about your website, such as which pages are most important and which ones have been updated. It’s not necessary but it can only help…
Also, those generators find errors you maybe never knew existed on your site! These errors most often prevent sites from being indexed by search engines.
lerian
Good point biljap,
Sitemap is always a good idea since it will help search engine to index your site properly. I don't have a giant website with thousands pages on it so I can't give you my own suggestion for this situation. However I ever read somewhere that you can create several sitemaps for a giant site. The reason of this is since spider will only follow a certain amount of links on a given page. If you have a 10K pages site, make several sitemaps since putting 10K links on a page wont be crawled properly by the spider. I don't know if it is right or wrong since I don't have any experiences on it.
littlegiant
Quote:
Why wouldn’t you submit a Sitemap...?

Because too many webmasters reported that pages on their sites mysteriously dropped after submitting a sitemap and up until very recently, the Google sitemap system was still in BETA.
solidghost
If it is a new site, by all means, submit a sitemap. It helps Googlebot to navigate your site better.
If yours is pretty mature, then you can do it like every month or so.

Anyway, I don't think there will be any harm in submitting sitemaps.
hicham_the_webmaster
The answer in no, especially it the site is on a well know host ...

Of course it's better to send your sitemap wich is complete and working 100% ...
OS Master
You don't have to submit a site to Google, but it is highly recommend so Google can get lots of information about your website.
georgekalathil
Actually I had an old site XYZ.com and contained about 100 pages. The site is 2 years old. Recently I changed and modified the site and the site has around 5000 plus pages.. The old pages are all removed but the domain name is still the same i.e XYZ.com. The new pages havent been crawled by the spider and it has been 2 weeks since the new pages were uploaded. So do i need to submit a google sitemap to make the indexing faster...Anyone answer me plz......
littlegiant
Has anybody ever conclusively proven that submitting a sitemap to Google results in better ranking in SERPs? I've seen very few testomonies to this effect. All I hear is a lot of regurgitating of the Google party line, e.g., helps the googlebot, your pages will be better indexed, etc. I'd like to see some people say something like, "I'd used to rank really lousy until I submitted a sitemap and then things got a whole lot better." Something like that. I mean, I think the fact that people are still asking, "Should I submit a sitemap?" speaks volumes in and of itself.
dude_xyx
littlegiant wrote:
Has anybody ever conclusively proven that submitting a sitemap to Google results in better ranking in SERPs? I've seen very few testomonies to this effect. All I hear is a lot of regurgitating of the Google party line, e.g., helps the googlebot, your pages will be better indexed, etc. I'd like to see some people say something like, "I'd used to rank really lousy until I submitted a sitemap and then things got a whole lot better." Something like that. I mean, I think the fact that people are still asking, "Should I submit a sitemap?" speaks volumes in and of itself.

Well i have used site map for some sites more than year now but i didn't see anything gets different.
dwikristianto
hi all,

using sitemap will affect only on indexing system of google and yahoo.
for a new site, it's a must, unless your site is linked by an already indexed site.

if your site structure is good: all pages is linked to each other regardless it is dynamic or static, most crawler will go to that pages.

one thing that i love from sitemap is i can control how fast/slow the crawler will come to my sites.

SERP only affected by backlinks (offpage) and the page content (onpage). if u do off and onpage optimization u will get good SERP.

HWH,
dude_xyx
dwikristianto wrote:

one thing that i love from sitemap is i can control how fast/slow the crawler will come to my sites.

Same here. Its the only use i see from site maps. If you don't update content daily you get set spider come once a week
jrg635
I just submitted a sitemap for the site that I am currently working on getting ranked. But I'm on the fence as to whether or not it will help. My initial thought is that it probably better to have it crawled naturally. But it seems that for some reason Google is missing one of my pages when it crawls although there are links to it elsewhere in the website.