FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Enable Avatar Upon Signup

garionw
Everyday, Frihost grows by accepting new users onto the forums. This may be good, but there are a fair who who don't have Avatars.

I think that Avatars play an important part of these forums because they are unique (Apart from those annoying Echo Games one's Laughing ) Every time I see the Word's "I want you to post" I know that it's Bondings, every time I see the purple star's, I know it's me. It saves you time if you were looking for someone's posts because you could scroll faster than stopping to read the text.

My point is, Bonding's would it be possible that you could allow users to upload an Avatar when signing up, and disable the things like ICQ and MSN?

Garion
reddishblue
An experienced forum user wouldn't need this, and a noob wouldn't know what one is, besides I like less people having avatars, normally only experienced users have them and I can tell with ease who is who but if everyone has one why bother, and I can't imagine why we should disable MSN Shocked
garionw
reddishblue wrote:
An experienced forum user wouldn't need this, and a noob wouldn't know what one is, besides I like less people having avatars, normally only experienced users have them and I can tell with ease who is who but if everyone has one why bother, and I can't imagine why we should disable MSN Shocked

Not disable it all together, but just on the signup form.... You could add that data on your profile
hack_man_
garionw wrote:
Apart from those annoying Echo Games one's Laughing

... and what is wrong with showing support for a friend's website? (as in one that I am working on)
ocalhoun
An explanation of what an avatar is could be included in the registration page with relative ease...

An avatar gallery would also be good, but only if it included many many avatars (hundreds or even thousands), and was accessed in such a way as to not make any certain choices far more likely to be picked randomly than others (such as by having the first ones a user chooses from always be the same ones). It would be especially nifty if an avatar in the gallery would become invisible in the gallery if any frihost user was using it (which would prevent unintentionally choosing someone else's avatar, which could cause confusion later).
Bondings
I'm definately planning to change the whole registration process, reducting it to username/password/email only. The avatar and other options should be done after the activation of an account.

And I don't like avatar galleries as I like unique avatars. And most members don't seem to have a problem with finding an avatar themselves.