FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Visual Basic 6

raaeft1
I am running Windows XP SP2 and had downloaded Visual Basic Enterprise 6 edition from the net for my daughter and the software was working fine. However, I recently formatted my hard disk (C drive) and am unable to reinstall the VB software. I get DCom account not found message.
What should I do. I even tried uninstalling XP SP2 and reinstalling VB6 biut it did not work. However, when I install express edition 2005, it works fine but my daughter requires VB6 for her school projects. What should i do?
MrBlueSky
Try steps 1 through 5: http://www.prtracker.com/support/pr1281.html

If that doesn't help, go through the other steps. Maybe this helps.
blueray
hm...., could you provides detailed information about your system.
I did't experienced this. Or you can installing the vb before the windows xp sp2. Smile
Teddy1
I installed Visual Basic 6 Enterprise Edition, after i installed SP2 it should work fine. You could also try downloading the Visual Basic 6 Run Time files that may help. If not get Virtual Machine (it's basically java).
blueray
May be these steps will help.

1.) Go C:\windows\system32
2.) at the command prompt or windows explorer, type dcomcnfg
3.) a dialog box open. Click the Default Security tab, Default Configuration Permission Section and click edit default button.
4.) A registry key permisson box show next. Press the add button to add the group everyone to list of user group item box.

try this ... Smile
billgertz
hmm. you mentioned you recently formatted your drive C. so if you used the normal installation of VB 6.0 is should not cause any problem since its gonna be like an new installation. but if you installed you vb 6.0 to other drive, you should stop running that installation and install it again on the drive C. I guess this usually happens if some of the libraries are not registered on the system. I hope this one helps. keep us updated.
ThePolemistis
raaeft1 wrote:
What should I do. I even tried uninstalling XP SP2 and reinstalling VB6 biut it did not work. However, when I install express edition 2005, it works fine but my daughter requires VB6 for her school projects. What should i do?

just out of curiosity,, is vb6 learning edition free? If so, where can it be downloaded from?
sush
I wonder if there ever was a VB6 learning edition. Even if it was, it was definitely not free.

You can get a look and feel of VB6 apps in MS Office's VBA script editor or Visual Basic editor (whichever). It works more or less like vb6 and has similar controls and code, only it doesnt compile your projects into executables and your "projects" are only saved as a sort of document macro.
why6487
ThePolemistis wrote:
raaeft1 wrote:

just out of curiosity,, is vb6 learning edition free? If so, where can it be downloaded from?

Nope, you must get "Visual Basic 6.0" by David I. Schinder. This book has a copy of the Learning Edition of VB.
why6487
I recommend that you install it in a dummy directory such as D:/VB6/dummy/.