FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rate my site

What do you think?
Nice, wouldn't change it!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Needs some work...
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 10

Alkmania
A little while ago I posted my site on this forum as well, there was some though criticism then... I tried to listen to it and since then i've changed my website a lot.

It's a site about a soccer team called Alkmania A1 and the site's in Dutch so you probably won't understand. The sitemap doesn't work yet but the idea is that if you use the sitemap you can get everywhere in an instant instead of going through subcategories.

Any tips?

(hehe.. maybe the link Wink : http://alkmania-a1.nl.tt/nieuw)
{name here}
It uses a table based design, which isn't too good. You also use PNG files for images that would be more efficiently compressed with JPEG. You have images for each individual link on the menu, which makes it inefficient. What you can do if you want to keep your design, you can take that grass image, then make remove the text. Then you can do this in a CSS file:
Code:

.menuclass {
    background-image: url(menu.png);
    width: 100px;
    height: 40px;
    text-align: center;
    vertical-align: middle;
}

Then, in your HTML:
Code:

<tr>
   <td class="menuclass"><a href="index.html">Home</a></td>
   <td class="menuclass"><a href="selectie.html">Selectie</a></td>
   <td class="menuclass"><a href="competitie.html">Competitie</a></td>
   <td class="menuclass"><a href="beker.html">Beker</a></td>
   <td class="menuclass"><a href="verslagen.html">Verslagen</a></td>
   <td class="menuclass"><a href="gastenboek.php">Gastenboek</a></td>
</tr>

Now you just reduced the bandwidth wasted by a lot. You might want to specify the color of links for anything inside a menuclass, though.

You might also want to specify your page is HTML 4.01 at the very top of the document, too.
Donutey
A little too much texture on the guy kicking the football, but its a good idea. I like the green grass motif, as I've seen it work well on other sites.

I agree that CSS is always preferable, but it's a good start for a website.
Dragate
It's an okay design, but I don't understand how the sky is working really with the soccer.

Your logo... the blue and the orange... look kind of corny? It just looks sort of weird. If you look at really really professional logos, you usually see them... not effected in any way, but usually silhouettes, well there are exceptions, but most of the time, just to be simple, and it does look better!

Also, don't make your pngs load up like that. For slow internet-people, it really looks funky. Just make the images jpegs and let it load up the real way. Sure some people say it makes the image look like it loads up 4 times faster, but it doesn't it just looks really blurry for a while.
Alkmania
The orange and the blue are the colors of my footbal club. This is the official logo of our club.
CyberSpic
I guess that its your first page and i think its grat for beggining . Just keep it on. You have my support Smile
pyapplico
Alkmania wrote:
A little while ago I posted my site on this forum as well, there was some though criticism then... I tried to listen to it and since then i've changed my website a lot.

It's a site about a soccer team called Alkmania A1 and the site's in Dutch so you probably won't understand. The sitemap doesn't work yet but the idea is that if you use the sitemap you can get everywhere in an instant instead of going through subcategories.

Any tips?

You should stop using frames and use CSS with the <div> tag. And you should also use XHTML 1.1 instead of HTML.
aningbo
3/10 you still have a way to go. keep designing and it gets better. just dont give up.
wlb
Less content, but also to be updated. But you still have to support
{name here}
pyapplico wrote:
Alkmania wrote:

Any tips?

You should stop using frames and use CSS with the <div> tag. And you should also use XHTML 1.1 instead of HTML.

XHTML 1.1 isn't the smartest idea right now unless you want to kill off all your IE users - true XHTML 1.1 is supposed to be sent application/xml+xhtml. It's better to use XHTML 1.0 Transitional at this stage...