FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

When Manga and Anime .....

Tex_Arcana
become a TV series acted out by actors?

I've tried to avoid it. The series are mostly even shorter then the animated series, but still.......

Okay, confession time. I've seen three (well technically five) titles so far and not only am I enjoying it but I'm actually starting to appreciate the actors involved in the productions.

This shameful, state of affairs started with a series called Densha Otoko (Train Man). It's a romantic comedy from a book about this Ani-Otaku who one night saves a beautiful woman on the train from a drunken pervert and their growing relationship.... (umm, er, it was something I thought my wife would like to watch).
Anyway it was really good and I enjoyed it a lot. Little did I know......

The live action/anime shell began to crack and one day I noticed that one of my favorite animes was made into a live/action series. I began to wonder how well Jigoku Shoujo would translate into live action. It wasn't all that bad. Watching actors in the drama added something. There was a few gripes as well, like they could have used a younger looking actress for Emna Ai. Ai isn't supposed to look like a teenager (one friend I have coined the phrase lolli-horror after watching Jigoku Shoujo).

Next I started getting into Gokusen. If you haven't seen the manga or anime (like me), it's the story of a young teacher on her first assignment....teaching the worst class at a high school for delinquents. Normally that may be a little tough for a new teacher but Yamaguchi Kamiko has a secret. From the age of seven she was raised by her grandfather who is the third generation head of the Oeda yakuza clan.

I liked this one a lot and went on to season two.

Next I went to a show tht was pretty popular as a manga and anime. Hana Yori Dango (Flowers over Boys). Does anyone not know this one? It's the story of a poor girl making her way quietly through a High School for ultra rich kids, until she attracts the attention of F4. The four richest boys in school who actually run things. I'm into the second season on that series as well.

So has anyone else watches these shows, or enjoyed a like/action series based on an anime or manga, or not enjoyed them so much?
ddukki
I heard that GTO was a manga-turned live action drama that turned out well.
vanille
I haven't seen any live-action series but I've seen movies, like Death Note. Most of them have been disappointments, but I think I'll check out the ones you mentioned.
Tex_Arcana
The live action tv series tend to have a lot fewer episodes then anime series so you get that effect like when they made Ichigo 100% into a way too short anime series and cut out a big chunk of the manga.

Perhaps the one advantage I had was that I hadn't seen any of the Gokusen manga or anime so I was able to enjoy it without knowing how badly they screwed it up.

Perhaps the secret to enjoying these things is to just treat them as different.
carlokes
Hi there,

I have seen some Live Actions and I have to say that I was quite disappointed...the magic and eists in Manga and Anime really fades out in LA series.

I love anime and manga because of what it really is...an animation that normally is fictional. If I want to see real live actor...I prefer to watch the america series on Fox

Stay Cool.
Chalchihuitlicue
Wow, someone else who has seen Hana Yori Dango! I admit to never having read the manga or seen the anime (if there is one? I forget), but I did start watching the live action after a good friend of mine brought it to our Intermediate 3D Modeling class. We watched part of it together, and it was so hilariously bad and outrageous that I just had to watch the rest of it!

One live action that I was rather impressed with was Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. It was far better than I expected, and for all its cheesiness, I really believe it was better than the manga or anime in terms of realness of the characters.
driftingfe3s
I saw a few episodes of the GTO live action. It followed the manga/anime pretty well. What I didn't like was that the actors didn't resemble the characters at all. Also, it seemed to me like it was just a drama and all the funnyness from the manga/anime wasn't in there anymore. I liked GTO becuase it was very funny at times, so I stopped watching the live action.
Tex_Arcana
Chalchihuitlicue wrote:
Wow, someone else who has seen Hana Yori Dango! I admit to never having read the manga or seen the anime (if there is one? I forget), but I did start watching the live action after a good friend of mine brought it to our Intermediate 3D Modeling class. We watched part of it together, and it was so hilariously bad and outrageous that I just had to watch the rest of it!

One live action that I was rather impressed with was Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. It was far better than I expected, and for all its cheesiness, I really believe it was better than the manga or anime in terms of realness of the characters.

Yes there is an anime for Hana Yori Dango from 1996, but it is more commonly known by the english translation of the title Flowers Over Boys. It's licenced by Viz and there are 53 episodes, there is also a Hana Yori Dango animated movie from 1997. I haven't seen it though. The only reason that I've seen the Live action series (actually season 1 and 2) is that my wife got caught up in it (she likes series where girls show their inner strength and rise above their circumstances).

The live action TV shows are really short on episodes so yeah If you read the Manga (usually the best) then saw the anime (usually second best because usually some of the parts you liked in the Manga are left out) then the TV series is the pits (actors instead of animation [though I'm starting to be a fan of some Japanese actors] and the episodes are so few in number [9-12] that you know a lot of material will be cut out).

The latest series I've been watching is IWGP (Ikebukuro West Gate Park). I'm not sure if it has been a manga or anime but it's a pretty interesting series about a 20 year old slacker/former delinquint who begins to gain some respectability when his girlfriend is killed presumably by a strangler who he later captures with the help of a street gang. Soon people from the local yakuza boss to jr. high school kids start asking him to fix their problems for them. Even the police start trying to recruit him for the force. I've gotten to episode 8 so far.
crimson_aria
Wow! This is making me happy. I thought I'm the only one in this forum who watches jdramas.I'm a big big fan of jdramas. Not just anime turned into live action series, but any jdramas.

I must say I'm really hooked. I love it.

Anime used to be my number one. Then it became japanese music. I am still so much into Japanese music but since last year, I've been concentrated on japanese dramas and films.

It's pretty fun to watch them. Really. Maybe for some it feels like ruining the original, but they're okay. You'll find a lot of live actions there which are good.

I'm watching Hana Yori Dango 2 too~ I find it really good. Been waiting for it since after Season 1.
scimitarmoon
As much as I hate to admit it, I loved PGSM. As in, I liked that version far better than the manga or the anime or any of the movies. I think it has to do with the fact that the senshi (other than Sailor Moon) were much better developed, and I've never liked Sailor Moon/Usagi as much as I did in PGSM. All the characters, with the exception of Luna, seemed much more realistic in that version.

I also love the Utena musical, if that counts. But I like that for a whole different set of reasons, most of which involve it being hilariously bad but with very good music.
CMA
The only one I've seen so far was Cutie Honey. It was incredibly bad, but amusing at the same time. The special effects were so colorful and ridiculous that it still looked... "anime-ish". Likewise, many dialogues and other scenes were so ridiculous that you could swear it was taken directly from an anime series.

I'm still trying to find the guts to watch Sailor Moon (THE WIGGSSSS!) or Death Note (I was told the live action movie was really, really bad).
I also heard there was a Saikano movie, but all I found so far was a trailer.
blk3
Ive heard there is an Initial D live action and also YOur Under Arrest. But personally I dont prefer watching these live action versions if the anime is better.
jasmine
I'm a JDRama fan too!

Currently, (in my collection of DVDs), I have the ff:

Densha Otoko series
Densha Otoko alternative ending
Densha Otoko special ending (I'm not sure if that's correct, but there is another ending)
Densha Otoko the Movie
Gokusen Season 1
Hana Yori Dango 1
Lunch Queen

and now I'm aiming for Strawberry on a Shortcake XD

JDramas are the best!
Tex_Arcana
jasmine wrote:
I'm a JDRama fan too!

Currently, (in my collection of DVDs), I have the ff:

Densha Otoko series
Densha Otoko alternative ending
Densha Otoko special ending (I'm not sure if that's correct, but there is another ending)
Densha Otoko the Movie
Gokusen Season 1
Hana Yori Dango 1
Lunch Queen

and now I'm aiming for Strawberry on a Shortcake XD

JDramas are the best!

Densha Otoko series was what actually got me started (it's not based on a manga or anime though but a book containing the posts from a Japanese forum where a guy told the story of how he met a woman on a train and the other posters on the forum started giving him advice on how to persue a relationship with her). I have all those too except the movie. I understand the movie came first and that the lead actor from the movie made a cameo appearance in the first episode of the series. The running joke being that he looked too good (or too cool) to play an ani otaku.
mansonivan
some of them make me dissapoited but some of them r good example like GTO. The first death note movie not that good but second one is good.
jasmine
A friend told me not to watch the second movie of Death Note. She said it does not follow up with that of the manga.

Well, I guess I have to start reading the manga so I have no comparison whatsoever. XD
Pikokola
try watch H2

Actally in the manga H2 is more like a comedy but in the Dorama Version, it's more .. er... romance... ^^ and the girl is cute too ^^
crimson_aria
I like the death note movie but I still very very very much prefer the anime.

I haven't watched H2 yet.
Seiji
A lot of mangas become Korean dramas and they are usually good. I always though Japanese movie production was weak. I've only seen about a handful of good Japanese movies so seeing an anime or manga turn into a Japanese live action I doubt it would be any good.
Tex_Arcana
Seiji wrote:
A lot of mangas become Korean dramas and they are usually good. I always though Japanese movie production was weak. I've only seen about a handful of good Japanese movies so seeing an anime or manga turn into a Japanese live action I doubt it would be any good.

You kinda do have to keep an open mind about these things when something from one format, say a book , or manga gets translated into another like an anime or a live action drama a movie or tv show. Each format has it's strengths and weaknesses. Some things do get missed in translation and time constraints tend to rush the story along without a slow build up.

When I watch these shows I try not so much to see how they are the same but how the actors try to carry out the main ideas of the show. Take for instance the latest show I've seen, it's called Mukodono (My Husband). It's about a guy who is the number one pop star in Japan, voted sexiest man 3 years in a row, and is a model and actor. That's his public persona anyway. In real life he is a real spazzy kind of geek.

The actor that plays the lead is really good when his character is supposed to be all cool, pop star personae but when it's time to act the the prat-falling spazz he seems like he's really forcing it and it's a tad annoying. It's the other things in this show that took me beyond the first episode and into the forth (that's all there is so far) which added some character development for the lead.

By the way, SAARS fansubs has added a streaming video feature that is really quite good. I was surprised by the fact that it seems like a real time broadcast like you would see on TV. I watched the first episode of Mukodono this way before deciding to download it.
sanwixh
I've seen quite a few, Hana Yori Dango, GTO, Densha Otoko, You're under arrest, and Gokusen.

Hana Yori Dango, more popularly known in the Philippines as Meteor Garden, no one hear doesn't know who the F4 are, it caused a big commotion a few years ago, and the F4 even had concerts and appearances here. The show was quite good and ran for a long stretch while keeping the audience interested (because a lot of people watched it over and over again, even in re-runs).

Great Teacher Onizuka, I'd say its one of the best live actions because i watched all the episodes in one day without stopping to eat. Great chemistry between the characters (hint: the couple in the series is a real life husband and wife)

Densha Otoko, a total laugh trip, how can one not laugh when one by one an otaku shivers and falls over when their Idol tell them she despises otakus Laughing but the story's great, it's so great because you can see the geek-otaku who watched gained confidence after they finished.

Gokusen, Season 1 almost made me cry, season 2 however didn't do that much for me, its so sad when the dad died and the guy had to take over the family.

You're under arrest, one of my biggest disappointments, the cast was awful, they barely matched the characters they played, it just couldn't live up to its anime reputation. (sad)