FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer games - the new scapegoats?

Do the computer games cause violence in real life?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Never thought about it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

moonblade
As we all know, the politicians (supported by media in some occasions) of a fair few countries (USA and Germany to name but the most notable examples) have recently entered a crusader mode on violent computer games. Apparently, according to the research that they have conducted, violent computer games cause young people to go berzerk, buy weapons, dress up in black and... Well, I'm sure you can guess the rest. In fact, there's no need to guess, the issue is widely known by now.

Something that I wonder, however, is whether the people in general agree on this point of view. Do you think computer games make you more violent? Or do they let your aggressions out without causing harm to others? Are the violent games, in the end, more harmful than watching Silence of the Lambs or Troy or the eight o'clock news, or their "evilness" value is at about the same level?

P.S: At the moment, I will not post my own opinion yet, in order not to create a bias in one way or another.
dray101
I voted no but thats ONLY BECAUSE I THINK MOST GAMES DON'T and NOT TO MOST PEOPLE

First of all video games don't force you to do anything however, they may encourage a certain type of behavior and thinking IF YOU CHOSE TO PLAY THEM but even then only the weak minded will actually be greatly influenced by a video game BUT I will say that I think developing minds (ie. young children) are much weaker and ARE INFLUENCED

THERE ARE FAR MORE WORSE THINGS IS THE WORLD THAN VIDEO GAMES
eg. -abusive parents
-war
-hunger
-poverty
-A.I.Ds
-George Bush
DeadX
I don't think video games are the cause of violence,
They might influence some people but that can be said about alot of things ...

Kids are more likely to be influenced by those games, but doesn't have those games the labl 18+? is it the fault of the game developpers that 18-'rs are playing it?

Also some people could use those games to get rid of their anger by killing virtual things istead of working out their anger on real things ...
Cibes
I don't think you can blame everything on the evil, evil video games. But together with violent movies I'm sure they influence people who are spending most of their time with them. If you see the violence every day you just don't react that negative and uncomfortable to it anymore - which is in a way the first step to doing it yourself.
But most politicians don't even know what they are talking about when they blame it on games.
dray101
DeadX wrote:
Also some people could use those games to get rid of their anger by killing virtual things istead of working out their anger on real things ...

Good point, and I also think that TV, Movies and Music Videos are generally a much worse influence. Not only with violence but epically with sex, drugs etc. If you see half dressed girls experimenting with sex and drugs etc every time you turn on the box (TV) then it becomes a influence. Of cause not many people want to admit it.

Rolling Eyes lol Laughing
QrafTee
Computer games causes people to die (yes, it's a fact, very rare and includes very addicted and ignorant people), but causing people to become violent? Nah.