FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Domain

KHO
Ok, so I wanted to play around with a domain for my network, mainly just to act as a fileserver and support my antivirus that allows for remote administration through a domain.

I got a linux machine up and running with Samba and Webmin because I heard thats what I needed to have my Mac OSX also supported by the domain.

When I was trying to set up the domain, I came into what Im sure is one of the most novice and trivial problems, the internet didnt work. I installed Linux with both Lan cables connected to the router as clients of the router receiving a connection from it. I then tried to switch it so that eth0 received a direct connection to the internet and eth1 went to the input of the router. Nothing.

I'm not sure if maybe I configured the connection wrong or what, I left the gateway blank and gave eth0 the ip address of 192.168.0.1 eth1 was 192.168.0.11 the router was 192.168.0.2 and subsequent machines were 192.168.0.3 and up as designated by the DHCP on the router.
johanfh
The gateway should point to the router for the direct connection. And: check if the adress 192.168.0.1 is not reserved by your router. Or is that why you put it at 192.168.0..2?
Note: gateway tells your machine wich computer (or router) acts as the doorway to the internet so you should always make sure that points to your router or your firewall.

Succes!
JohanFH
KHO
well thats the problem it shouldnt

I have a modem that is the direct connection, and that needs to go to my domain which also acts as firewall, (its a home network, i dont care if that isnt good enough). The domain then goes out to router. Thats the setup i need.