FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Uploading Joomla

droggy
Does it normally take an awful long time to upload? Or do I only have to upload certain files?
polis
Use an FTP program like Filezilla, otherwise might take some time.
redice
Most webhost site support upload a zip file (*.zip, *.tar.gz, *.tgz). If your host support it, compress your files before upload it, and uncompress your file by the file manager.

Or, you may use ftp client like cuteftp etc.
Darius
even if you unzip in you computer first, it's pretty fast to upload. Ofcourse it depends on your internet speed to.
razvan162
joomla has a big ammount of files and is a little hard to manage....i think e107 is more easy to manage..and u will find a lot of plugins and themes for it.
For uploading joomla or other CMS on your host..u may use cuteftp client..is the best and easy to use!
Handyman
I would recomend using directadmin file manager and uploading the file.tar.gz to the public_html directory and the use the file decompression tool to unpack it. It should only take a couple of min. or you can upload the tar.gz file with ftp client like fireftp and the go to direct admin and unpack the file.
Commando_Sondre
razvan162 wrote:
joomla has a big ammount of files and is a little hard to manage....i think e107 is more easy to manage..and u will find a lot of plugins and themes for it.
For uploading joomla or other CMS on your host..u may use cuteftp client..is the best and easy to use!
e107 takes up more space. At least that's what I know. Otherwise, use e107 or Drupal! Joomla might be a bit "bad".
Aiz
Joomla isn't that big, and is pretty nice, function wise.

I uploaded Joomla to Frihost the "hard" way (unzipping it on my computer then upload with FTP software), and it did take a while, but less than 15 minutes if I recalled correctly.

As for what files to upload. there are some that you can throw out if you do not need them (like the documentations, styles, etc) but that really doesn't make much of a dent on the amount of time needed for upload. Just send the whole folder through FTP and go drink a cup of coffee or something =)
Commando_Sondre
Or sit down and surf on FriHost, both ways work good. Wink
WickedGravity
Uploading of files always depends on the speed of your connection. If you are on a T1 line, of course it will take less time than if you are running off of an old 56.6K.

By the way, pound for pound, Wordpress is your best bet. People may think of it as a blogging software package, but with all the extendability of it, it is a perfect CMS.
gopal
your host is probably supporting file unzipping , they may also providing webshell. just use some ftp program to upload the file and unzip it , go to the doc folder and read the instructions...there you go. Every cms are same and cool , php and mysql rocks.
xsharez
Upload all joomla files to ftp server...