FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Qin Shi Huang : Discussion about his Tomb

Fright Knight
Qin Shi Huang was the man who made china. He was the first emperor of a great nation. But do you know how great his tomb is? it is believe that his final resting place was inside a large hall with a replica of his empire with flowing rivers and lakes of mercury. And guess what?It might be true.

I just saw it on a documentary. I was amazed by that story and now chinese scientists now have the knowledge that the soil of the mountain surrounded by pits where the terakata army was discovered, soil samples were found positive with mercury. Isn't that interesting?
theem
Thanks for the info. about Qin Shi Huang !

interesting personality of the history !!

but not famous !! becouse i didn't know about him... Razz
HoboPelican
It is my understanding that they still have not opened the main tomb yet. The Chinese being extremely cautious and meticulous in their recovery of the site. Seems to me that the surface scans of the tomb DID show indications of mercury, possibly in the layout of the major rivers of China.

While I applaud the care they are taking in opening this site up, I am wondering if I will die before they ever finish.

Qin Shi Huang is said to be the person to have united China under one rule, but he also is believed to have burned books existing before his rule.
hofodomo01
Perhaps sometimes a police-state-ish style of ruling is necessary for large-scale uninty?

Seems like the American democratic experiment was one of the few exceptions to that idea...

Well, let's hope that doesn't spawn amateur looters...whether they succeed or get killed in the elaborate tombs...
Fright Knight
HoboPelican wrote:

Qin Shi Huang is said to be the person to have united China under one rule, but he also is believed to have burned books existing before his rule.

Indeed. It was his prime minister Lisu (I don't know tha exact spelling of the name though) was the one who ordered the books to be burned. In that time, no one is allowed to keep books on their houses. If one resists to surrender their books to the authorities, they will be sent to work on the great wall or even worse, be buried alive.
nilsmo
Qin Shi Huang's tomb had a "Terracotta Army. Check this picture out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Xian_museum.jpg
It's pretty freaky. According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
According to the Grand Historian Sima Qian, the First Emperor was buried alongside great amounts of treasure and objects of craftsmanship, as well as a scale replica of the universe complete with gemmed ceilings representing the cosmos, and flowing mercury representing the great earthly bodies of water. Pearls were also placed on the ceilings in the tomb to represent the stars and planets, etc. Recent scientific work at the site has shown high levels of mercury in the soil of Mount Lishan, tentatively indicating an accurate description of the site’s contents by Sima Qian.

The fact about mercury is pretty interesting. It was given to Qin Shi Huang as a medicine for immortality, but he died from it. Pretty interesting - my sixth grade history teacher first showed the class these interesting facts.
scimitarmoon
I think his tale is fascinating and kind of ironic... I mean, the "medicine" he took to ensure his immortality killed him. But he left behind an amazing legacy and some really interesting architecture. His tomb must be a really fascinating place.
Fright Knight
scimitarmoon wrote:
I think his tale is fascinating and kind of ironic... I mean, the "medicine" he took to ensure his immortality killed him. But he left behind an amazing legacy and some really interesting architecture. His tomb must be a really fascinating place.

True. The medicine that was given to him by one of his doctors was mercury that was made into a solid form. His doctor told him that mercury along with sex with different partners will help him extend his life. But years after taking the pills of mercury, the emperor began to withdrew to his own world, leaving his prime minister more power in his empire. The first emperor's mind was corrupted by mercury. he soon lost his sanity.
clarinda0551
Hi guys. I am a Chinese and I am pretty good at history. Qin shi Huang (Qin is the name of his dynasty; shi means the first and huang means Emperor) conquered most area of middle and southern parts of china nowadays for the first time in chinese history. He also standardised currencies and some other stuff. However, his was also a despot. One of his general, Bai Qi, killed 0.3 million surrendered enemy soldiers in just one campaign. His p.m. , Li Si burned almost all books across the nations (the cultural revolution was sometimes referred an analogy of it). Many academics, mostly Confucians were killed as they were considered as a threat to the nation. I hope this information may help you..and welcome to visit the site, it is magnificent!

BTW, I dont know how you guys view the current political system of China. You may hear many people, both overseas Chinese and non-Chinese criticising China for not being democratic..Indeed, we do demand democracy. But the truth is most of us dont think we can have it now, and the Communist part must not be overthrown in a short period of time. Otherwise, the whole China would be in a terrible chaos.
Fright Knight
clarinda0551 wrote:
Hi guys. I am a Chinese and I am pretty good at history. Qin shi Huang (Qin is the name of his dynasty; shi means the first and huang means Emperor) conquered most area of middle and southern parts of china nowadays for the first time in chinese history. He also standardised currencies and some other stuff. However, his was also a despot. One of his general, Bai Qi, killed 0.3 million surrendered enemy soldiers in just one campaign. His p.m. , Li Si burned almost all books across the nations (the cultural revolution was sometimes referred an analogy of it). Many academics, mostly Confucians were killed as they were considered as a threat to the nation. I hope this information may help you..and welcome to visit the site, it is magnificent!

Thanks for the Info. Having a Chinese reply to this is such a blessing because you know more about your history than us. Thanks.
seagullspirit
interesting stuff, but seriously now, we've got one too many documentary related channels these days so I'm not that interested of it spamming the firh forums also Wink

lets face it the discovery channel is too addictive for a few of us so I'd rather not see it take over these forums other than that the info about the Chinaman is interesting.
Billwaa
Qin Shi Huang is not really the first emporer of China. There are many other dynasty before that, like "Spring Autum Period", "7 Nations"... However, he is credited for uniting China. However, I disaggree with that, in "Chou Dynasty", the 3rd emperor united all people (tribes, groups of people living in different area) With manner, music and worship. That is also the base of Confusianism, which Confusian bring it out to society again.

Qin Shi Huang is imaged being a cruel emperor, however, there is a reason why he burn all the books. it is because after Qin united China, people want to go back to the old system and theory of spliting up the land and award it to certain people who serve Qin army well. This system first used in the Chou Dynasty. It work in the beginning cause everyone know each other. then after a generation, land were split to even more pieces of sons. After many generation, people no longer know each other, and start to take over each other's land. That cause the "Spring Autum Period", then 7 nation was left, being the strongest, form the "7 Nation Period". And from the 7 nation. Qin take over all.

So, if they went back to that system, China going to be in chaos again, like in the "Spring Autum Period" therefore, the emperior decided to kill all who support this idea and burn all the books with this idea, so that no will not be in chaos again.

Well, soon after the Qin dynasty start, Qin is defeated by Han Yi and Lou Ban (whatever spelling), start out being friend, then, civil war between them two, Lou Ban win, start Han Dynasty.....

China's history, way too long to tell in one post.

Anyway, the modern politic of China, kind of reply ancient China. Wheather Communism or not, it doesn't really matter. Democratic is not the best anyway. By saying US have democracy, not really, President election is base finally on Electro College. So, basically politicans decided who is the president, not the civiliances. Can't say Communism during WWII is bad, cause Nationists resist to fight Japan and insist on "Chinese killing Chinese". And the "policy of nonresistance against Japanese invadsion". Chiang Kai-shek also ordered to shoot college student who are protesting with machine gun.... I know the communists also did something like that in "June 4 Incident", but doesn't mean they are bad. They are just preventing something worse happening. Cause students protesting, got to have a more powerful leader behind it. Anyway the US, so call democracy, also ordered to Send tanks and shoots at WWI veterens during the Great Depression, while the veterens just asking for their promised WWI Service bonuses earlier while they are still alive and not strave to death....

So, no matter what political method, it have its positive side and negative side, neither are really better than each. Students in the US hate communism cause they are taught that way, students in China might not so like democratic cause they are taught that way. But in reality, it doesn't really matter, as long as it do the job and work, who care? Like one of the Chinese leader said "No matter if it is a black cat or a white cat, as long as it can catch a mouse, it is a good cat."

BTW, I am a Chinese, born in HK, live in US and China before. So I kind both sides. I am currently learning Chinese history, theories, military strategy in my Chinese School. Even though I am really suppose to learn Mandrain, but it doesn't work, cause I am like the top student in the class of knowing Chinese (except speaking) everyone else don't really know, so they end up transforming the top level class into this.... And kick all those who are not so good in Chinese in lower level, lol.
clarinda0551
to Billwaa:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of both ancient and modern China. I didnt say Qin Shi Huang was the first emperor but was the first one to unite "the main area of China". The other Emperors, including the first and second ones, Yan Di and Huang Di only controlled a very limited area of China (I am a direct descent of Yan Di). Unlike you, I lived in China mainland for 19 year before I went to study overseas, so I saw many bad things the Communist government did, along with some really good ones. Dictatorship is more suitable than democracy for china at this stage. But democracy in generally is more sustainable. Lets hope China can one day become a democratic and peaceful nations, but will not represent the interests of those "elites" who controlled the congress like the U.S.

p.s. Good luck on you study of Chinese Smile
Billwaa
Funny how many people are descent of Kings or royal blood family. I am descent of Chou Ming Wong (or whatever you spell it...)

lol, I only live in China for 10 years. So I haven't seen much or feel much about communists in HK, cause it is allow for 50 years to remain its rule. I didn't even see the June 4 Incident. But why would I? My mom said that I have a chance being one of the people's soul died from the Incident, by calculating my birth day and my characteristic of loving China. Actually, I am more like loving its history. It is like a very long and great story which you can learn a lot from. Like the strategies people use, inventions, science, Zheng He's travel, martial arts, medicine, music, legends (like the Butterfly Lovers, Journey to the West, and that other one with the Tiger and the dude killing it while drunk)...

I don't know why, but when I wrote my essay on Chiang Kai-shek, I developed a hate feeling toward him. Plus watching the movie (The Soong Sisters), make his image worse for me. I just can't stand someone who is more willing to kill their own kind than to resist and defend against the invader. Also, I have a very strong feeling toward those students protesting against him. I think they are very brave and do very great thing for the country. They don't have to do this, nor get pay... they really don't deserve to be shot at for trying to protect their country. Seeing all the students' movement during WWII just make me feel greater and greater toward them and more hate toward Chiang Kai-shek. Plus for betraying Sun Yat-sen's idea, spliting China.... hate him even more, why bring Civil War while he can bring peace and united China?

A lot of people are afraid that after 50 years, HK will follow China's communism rule. However, China seems like moving more and more toward capitalism. Cause people actually have money and are open to trade. My Social Study teach admit today that China is not a communist country anymore, even though it run under a one party system. Cause not everyone have the same amount of property, it is one of the most competitive countries.

Talking about China's future being in peace, I guess the only hope is Taiwan don't declare Independent. Or simpily merge with China as a special region like HK. They have to sooner or later anyway. I really don't want another Civil War in China. I mean, its too much already. Think about all those died in Chinese Civil Wars, and American make a big deal out of theirs. I guess probably because they only have one, lol. While China have many many, each dynasty change symbolize a Civil War...

Anyway, Chou dynasty I believe was the longest lasting dynasty, for about 1000 years if I didn't mess up. Will China ever have another peace ruling for another 1000 years? Maybe they will have to go back to the ideal of Confusianism...
bartdou
theem wrote:
Thanks for the info. about Qin Shi Huang !

interesting personality of the history !!

but not famous !! becouse i didn't know about him... Razz

what else do you know then? QIN's tomb is one of the world's 8 biggest miracles, to tell you the truth, I live not for away from it and as i see, more than 70% visitors to it are non-chinese in normal days.
Shin
Billwaa wrote:
Funny how many people are descent of Kings or royal blood family. I am descent of Chou Ming Wong (or whatever you spell it...)

Not surprise consider those emperors always have hundreds of wifes.. Smile
turbowolf
I am a Chinese and I have been to Xi'an. Where the stone soldiers stand in lines before Qin Shi Huang's Tomb. When you see the scale of those stone soldiers you will be shocked. Thousands of stone soldiers stands in more than 4 square kilometers. So powerful Qin Shi Huang is! Only Qin Shi Huang he can drive one hundred thousnad of people to build his tomb. So it's no doubt that he can conquer all of the China. But he was too brutal to his people. So it's no doubt that his empire can only existed for a quarter of century.

Fright Knight wrote:
Qin Shi Huang was the man who made china. He was the first emperor of a great nation. But do you know how great his tomb is? it is believe that his final resting place was inside a large hall with a replica of his empire with flowing rivers and lakes of mercury. And guess what?It might be true.

I just saw it on a documentary. I was amazed by that story and now chinese scientists now have the knowledge that the soil of the mountain surrounded by pits where the terakata army was discovered, soil samples were found positive with mercury. Isn't that interesting?
billgertz
wow Shocked

This one is a great discovery.
Billwaa
Shin wrote:
Billwaa wrote:

Not surprise consider those emperors always have hundreds of wifes.. Smile

doesn't mean they all slept with the king and have children Laughing I think the truth is that over half of them haven't even have the chance to see the king even once