FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wikipedia may shut it's doors

Vladalf
Quote:
In a rather extraordinary example of begging for money, Florence Devouard, Chairwoman of the Wikimedia foundation has told an audience at the Lift07 conference that Wikipedia has the financial resources to run its servers for another 3-4 months, and that without further funding Wikipedia “might disappear”.

Could Wikipedia shut it’s doors? Tthe site alone would be worth at least $xxx million, if not a billion, after all, there’s literally no better property out there when it comes to traffic and authority than Wikipedia. And whoever bought it would not only have an amazing marketing tool, they could even control the truth, at least as most of us know it. Indeed, the likes of Microsoft wouldn’t need to hire people to edit entries, they could simply pay the new owner. Text Link sales alone across the site would more than pay for the servers the site uses, tens of thousands of times over. I smell a begging bluff on this one, but Devouard did make the claim.

Source: http://www.901am.com/2007/wikipeda-could-s...-wikimedia.html
Digg: http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Wikipeda_cou...onths_Wikimedia

Wikipedia is a great resource site. Hope it dosen't shut down. Confused
{name here}
Olde news. There was actually a follow up story by Angela IIRC that said that there was nothing to worry about and this guy was just stating the struggle with donations. They get enough money to keep afloat at this point.
ahamed
Initally I was worried but the response from {name here} does take that out. For information, I do relay on wikipedia much and I want to see this always run to help people.
bongoman
I am not worried, i've heard about the wikimedia getting a lot of funding from corporate donors such as Yahoo, and sooner or later if it does get into really serious problems its bound to be bought out by a big online player like Google or something, its an amazingly popular website, despite some people who criticize its accuracy, it would be crazy to let something like this go.
Hoogeveense RAT
Wikipedia is very useful gor me and lots of other people, so they may not close down if you ask me Sad.

I always use this site to make school reports and it is also nice to use it to find quick information about something.
suntzu3500
Wikipedia is the most useful source for information on the entire internet. I would be heartbroken if it closed. That said, I agree that this is, in all probability, a funding play. If I had the money i'd donate it.
catscratches
I hope this never happens, <3 Wikipedia forever. It's the best source of information there is on the internet.
maclui
Wikipedia is such a strong brand it cannot desapear, someone would buy it and continues working with it. Although it can be interesting to see how such an important website has grew up so much it cannot handle its size.
{name here}
bongoman wrote:
I am not worried, i've heard about the wikimedia getting a lot of funding from corporate donors such as Yahoo, and sooner or later if it does get into really serious problems its bound to be bought out by a big online player like Google or something, its an amazingly popular website, despite some people who criticize its accuracy, it would be crazy to let something like this go.

The very professors that criticize Wikipedia for being inaccurate are the ones that contribute to Wikipedia.
afriot
I love that website. I'd hate to see them go. Google should just buy them out or fund them in some way.
suntzu3500
{name here} wrote:
bongoman wrote:

The very professors that criticize Wikipedia for being inaccurate are the ones that contribute to Wikipedia.

In general, it is accurate.

The vast majority of user accounts just lurk and clean up any inaccuracies when they find them (like my user account). This helps immensely. Most of the above group would also give money if we had it.
bangala
suntzu3500 wrote:
Wikipedia is the most useful source for information on the entire internet. I would be heartbroken if it closed. That said, I agree that this is, in all probability, a funding play. If I had the money i'd donate it.

I think it is a non-reliabl source for information. It could be useful as a starting point for newbis in a particular field.
Lord Klorel
I hope that wikipedia will continue, because it is the best site ever for searching when i need info.
Because that there are great donators, it must be very unlikely that wikipedia will shut down.
Captain Fertile
Its certainly not old news to me so I am pleased you posted it in the first place.

I use the website a heck of a lot and was amazed by this story although I should not be suprised because the volume of web-companies running on thin air is staggering.

People seem to think their website will attract enough money to make itself viable - oh well its worth trying as long as you don't gamble everything you own.

It would be a shame to see it go, it is a good read.
X3 Talk
Has Wikipedia grown too big too fast? There are a lot of servers involved in the entire makeup of the site. If the site had advertising, it would be a gold mine, but, no advertising is part of the appeal.

Has anyone here ever donated to Wikipedia?
Revvion
hope it dousnt go its a good side, atleast in my opinion
Captain Fertile
I have to admit that although I am always saying how much I like the site I have never yet made any donations to it.

Hmmmm, maybe I am just another hypocrite or maybe just a tight-wad! Cool
{name here}
bangala wrote:
suntzu3500 wrote:

I think it is a non-reliabl source for information. It could be useful as a starting point for newbis in a particular field.

If you can't trust Wikipedia, you can't trust anything else. I mean, have you ever heard of Kevin Truedau, the guy that made a book full of false herbal cures? How about Fox News? No source of media is a reliable source of media. You just assume that you are being delivered the facts when in fact it could just be pure slander.
Insanity
I don't know if the Wikimedia Foundation would ever sell out to a big corporation, since they seem to be against that sort of thing. They don't do ads at the moment, because they feel it ruins the whole site. However, I am willing to bet that if the situation turns dire, they would be more interested in putting up ads on the site. After all, it's one of the most trafficked sites on the Internet, as someone mentioned earlier; a couple ads could go a long way to saving it.
Zampano
Quote:
Could Wikipedia shut it’s doors? Tthe site alone would be worth at least $xxx million, if not a billion, after all, there’s literally no better property out there when it comes to traffic and authority than Wikipedia. And whoever bought it would not only have an amazing marketing tool, they could even control the truth, at least as most of us know it. Indeed, the likes of Microsoft wouldn’t need to hire people to edit entries, they could simply pay the new owner. Text Link sales alone across the site would more than pay for the servers the site uses, tens of thousands of times over. I smell a begging bluff on this one, but Devouard did make the claim.

"Lightning, created by Google corporation, during an experiment involving a kite . .." Confused

But seriously, I think it would be heinous to shut something like that down.
As to its 'inaccuracy', it's all overblown.
I once had a teacher take marks off after I cited a Wikipedia article saying that any idiot could have wrote it and been wrong, though I don't think providing historical misinformation is the most common Internet prank.[/quote]
FunDa
Did you know about the study they did to compare articles from wikipedia and Encyclopedia Brittanica ??

They found that Encyclopedia Brittanica had slightly more errors even though it was not free and had to be bought while wikipedia is free for all.

It's kind of like open source software and 'some' commercial software. EVen though Microsoft has the money to do anything, it's software still has huge bugs and loopholes everywhere while those in open source software are less or closed faster.

It's the coming of age of the "Collective Knowledge Movement"

It's where knowledge is shared so that all members of the movement gain virtual experience - the effect of the wise man's experience without actually growing old
Soulfire
Quite frankly it wouldn't bother me, I find Wikipedia terribly unreliable.
HoboPelican
I just checked the links in the first post and both are 404. And since it appears that this is an old story without real merit....

-close-

BTW - if you want to discuss Wikipedia's value, try this link

Your opinion on Wikipedia... Is it full of junk?