FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


computer mixing music





okolonas
Do you mix music on computer?
How?
bigbadjohn
Hey there when you say mix music could you be more specific, i.e. what you are trying to achieve....
The Mitchell
yes in many different ways. mixing songs, remixing songs, making songs through both recording sampling and looping and mixing them in terms of levels effects I do so using cubase, ableton, reason, reaktor, and traktor dj and play with many others
CtrlAltDeleteDie
I use FL Studio to sequence music, but that's not the same thing.
Jaan
I guess you want Traktor Dj Studio (native-instruments.com)
Cheers.
dbdb
I had a go at mixing music from my computer but it really was too difficult to get it to sound any good. I managed to get one all right mix, Queen vs. Crazy Frog and it all fitted together nicely but then I gave up.

Too bad because I bought some pretty nifty software...
Ozzy
The Mitchell wrote:
yes in many different ways. mixing songs, remixing songs, making songs through both recording sampling and looping and mixing them in terms of levels effects I do so using cubase, ableton, reason, reaktor, and traktor dj and play with many others



Thanks for these program names dude.
I really need some new programs.

At the moment I'm just using Acoustica Beatcraft to make my drum tracks and recording bass and guitar in Audacity.


CtrlAltDeleteDie wrote:
I use FL Studio to sequence music, but that's not the same thing.


I tried using Frooty Loops, but gave up. I couldn't record directly into it. Plus the effects and such were confusing as.
Scott
I use ableton live and love it. Really easy to record and playback anything.
Artelis
Ozzy wrote:
I tried using Frooty Loops, but gave up. I couldn't record directly into it. Plus the effects and such were confusing as.


I believe the newest edition allows direct i/o.

The Mitchell wrote:
I do so using cubase, ableton, reason, reaktor, and traktor dj and play with many others

overkill.
Josso
Mixing tracks together and general beatmatching go for Ableton Live.
The Mitchell
Artelis wrote:
Quote:
I do so using cubase, ableton, reason, reaktor, and traktor dj and play with many others

overkill.

yes. of course it is. would you mind backing that up. How is that overkill. I am a producer, these are the programs i know how touse best. I see not how that is overkill. Ableton is my best program for cutting up beats live and doing well generally anything live, cubase for recroding bands etc, reason for sequencing on occasion because i like the sample banks it uses for instruments such as the nnxt and the orkester sound bank is very good, reaktor for making my own synthesisers because well i know how to use it and therefore i why not. Now please how is that overkill.
Also one mor point you ask any producer what they use they will probably have a list as long as their ams. different studios use different setups so producers and engineers will be expected to know most audio production programs
Seiji
I'm not sure about mixing songs but I do cut out parts of the song I don't like. I don't think I know how to mix if its as easy as splitting I guess I should learn.
Artelis
The Mitchell wrote:
Artelis wrote:
Quote:
I do so using cubase, ableton, reason, reaktor, and traktor dj and play with many others

overkill.

yes. of course it is. would you mind backing that up. How is that overkill. I am a producer, these are the programs i know how touse best. I see not how that is overkill. Ableton is my best program for cutting up beats live and doing well generally anything live, cubase for recroding bands etc, reason for sequencing on occasion because i like the sample banks it uses for instruments such as the nnxt and the orkester sound bank is very good, reaktor for making my own synthesisers because well i know how to use it and therefore i why not. Now please how is that overkill.
Also one mor point you ask any producer what they use they will probably have a list as long as their ams. different studios use different setups so producers and engineers will be expected to know most audio production programs

I got my masters from Berklee in music production.
I use Cubase for all my sequencing and recording needs. I use reaktor if the song calls for an odd sound that I can't pull from my vst library or any of my hardware synths. Orkester is overrated. I have my own library of better quality instruments. I CAN sufficiently use protools, propellerhead software, acid, logic, etc. I just don't need to.
The Mitchell
I imagine you are taking into account the fact that i may produce different styles of music to yourself. I also assume you are taking into account i may not have the hardware synths. As it happens i do. they also get used. I DO have my own sample library. I have a collection of many programs i use mainly because i work on a lot of different projects including 2 elesctronica projects one solo and one with 2 other friends, i dj on occasions, and i also record with 2 live bands. And finally the fact that i will produce music in completely different way to yourself with different equipment. So please again tell me why my setup is overkill.
Cedar Speeder
Adobe Audition has been very useful for recording and mastering tunes.
SimonWSTS
I don't tend to do any sequencing, I use my computer for multi-track recording and play everything in in realtime. I also use Adobe Audition as a matter of fact. Have a copy of Cubase SX3 but my computer crashes every time i try to run it!!!
Adobe is good for most things though. It can record multiple tracks at once, layer auxiliary effects, only problem is it doesn't have any automation features (I think version 2 does but I only have audition 1.0!) which is wehere it would be great to have cubase!
furtasacra
Okay. I'll keep this as short as possible. Hubby is in a band. I have a CD with four live songs on it. The vocalist is way too loud. You can hardly hear the actual music. Is there any program I can use to tone him down?

The jerk vocalist just busted into my little home office demanding to know what I was doing to promote HIS band. I wanted to choke the crap out of him, hubby wrote all the actual music and some of the lyrics.

Is there a program I can use to remix a bad live recording or should I just start slapping Mr. Self-Important around? He's a wuss, I can take him.
djbosanac
I am Real Pc dj and live dj for pc i am useing

Madtracker
Magix Music Maker 2007
Acid pro 6
The Mitchell
furtasacra wrote:
Okay. I'll keep this as short as possible. Hubby is in a band. I have a CD with four live songs on it. The vocalist is way too loud. You can hardly hear the actual music. Is there any program I can use to tone him down?

The jerk vocalist just busted into my little home office demanding to know what I was doing to promote HIS band. I wanted to choke the crap out of him, hubby wrote all the actual music and some of the lyrics.

Is there a program I can use to remix a bad live recording or should I just start slapping Mr. Self-Important around? He's a wuss, I can take him.

wavelab and a good EQ plugin will probably be what you need lthough bare in mind youll never get as ood results as if you rerecord the track. YOu need to find the frequency range at which he is singing at and bring the volume down although this will also cut anything else at this frequency range. it is possible to cut the vocals completely if they are in the perfect centre although stereo reverbs will mess up this technique at it requires a good knowledge of how phase works. If you upload the track to some webspace and email me a link to andy_mitchell at hotmail dot com i will have a play for you if you want. Also strangle him.... Im a singer and even i admit singers are egotistical twats. look at my posts..... see im an egotistical twat Wink

But seriously email me and ill help out where i can mate
Tuxy
A friend of mine uses Soundforge. He says its good for finishing up tracks.
Zzz.
For my own, I use to play some music with both FruityLoops and Ableton Live. Those are 2 very powerful softwares for this. I prepare my loops and my samples with Fruity, then I mix all this in Live to perform the whole song.

Both software have very nice effects and can be used to perform any kind of electronic music (dub, breakbeat, techno, hardcore, ...) With live you also have the capabilitie to insert real instrument sounds and to record while you are playing your guitar or whatever you want to play, while playing the song in your earphone.

I did not work on Acid Pro yet, but I've tried Magic Music Maker 6 and did not like it at all. Bad sound, bad effects, no good "real time processing" ... In this soft, I just liked the video mixing interface that was quite easy to use for video newbie workers as I am Wink
WallBase
i like FruityLoops and FL Studio, but its 1 month i mixed some music, i quit bec its boring and i love disign and wallpapers, so no i maake wallz hehe.. but keep up the good work, hehe
Zzz.
Does anybody know how to use the compressor effect ? Fact is that i did not really realize what it had been designed for and also how to use it an efficient way ? (Fruity & Live)

If someone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks Wink
tommypanda
i used ableton on the trail and made a good song (to me lol) but you couldn't save it as an audio files to listen to so that was a bummer anyone got a full download of it for free?
WallBase
Zzz. wrote:
Does anybody know how to use the compressor effect ? Fact is that i did not really realize what it had been designed for and also how to use it an efficient way ? (Fruity & Live)

If someone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks Wink


No Sorry, i cant help u, but if u search on google, maybe i find something about it... ^^,)
zentanyx
I've been looking into Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) for Windows 98. This seems a bit difficult since most of it is for Windows XP and Vista. Anyone have recommendations for an old Windows 98 machine? (I need to stay with WIN 98 for the videogame console's software development tools.)

Right now, I'm mainly interested to know if Cubase VST is the most recent version for Windows 98 and... is there a version of Nuendo for 98?

Thanks!
jayrelle
Yes, I mix songs in my computer using a software,. accoustica..there are a lot of softwares in the internet that you can download to mix music or sounds.. Very Happy
djcaution
If you want to REmix tracks on your computer theres a lot of ways you can go but if you want to mix tracks together like at a club I find the best program is Traktor & Virtual DJ's pretty good too.
lastlegion
I do minor changes to songs and sometimes mix two songs(one of em is genrally crazy frog) using audacity...Its not as powerful as other commercial software. But its free Very Happy

I wud like to know if anyone knows a freeware beats/drum creator

Cheers
SimonWSTS
Zzz. wrote:
Does anybody know how to use the compressor effect ? Fact is that i did not really realize what it had been designed for and also how to use it an efficient way ? (Fruity & Live)

If someone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks Wink


I could explain to you in great depth how to use a compressor and what it does but I would be here a while and my explanation probably wouldnt be that good anyway. Google it and you'll find huge tutorials I'm sure.

Best advice I can give you though is don't overuse compression, that's what a lot of people tend to do when mixing, as a result you get no dynamic variation and it all sounds a bit "record-company-money-making-production-ish" Laughing
markolino
i want to learn how to do that..
Zzz.
SimonWSTS wrote:
Zzz. wrote:
Does anybody know how to use the compressor effect ? Fact is that i did not really realize what it had been designed for and also how to use it an efficient way ? (Fruity & Live)

If someone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks Wink


I could explain to you in great depth how to use a compressor and what it does but I would be here a while and my explanation probably wouldnt be that good anyway. Google it and you'll find huge tutorials I'm sure.

Best advice I can give you though is don't overuse compression, that's what a lot of people tend to do when mixing, as a result you get no dynamic variation and it all sounds a bit "record-company-money-making-production-ish" Laughing


Thanks for the advice. In fact, this is what I allready notice before, that why I was asking. Wink
xorcist
I make beats sometimes on Fruity Loops but I tried mixing music on the computer but I never really found a good program for that, If anyone know a good program for music mixing then tell me.
froginabox
Fruity Loops is one of the best, followed closely by Acid Pro. Those are pretty much standard for loop-based music.
djcaution
hey xorcist - like I said previously TRAKTOR is by far the best for that but virtual DJ's good too!
deStructuralized
froginabox wrote:
Fruity Loops is one of the best, followed closely by Acid Pro. Those are pretty much standard for loop-based music.

I'd say that in terms of pure loop manipulation and sequencing, Acid Pro is a much more accessible and user-friendly program. Fruityloops is an extremely underrated and powerful program. But in my opinion, Fruityloops's sequencer is just plain awful.

Fruityloops beats Acid in that it contains a host/sequencer AND synth/VSTi packs. Acid is just a host/sequencer. Even with all that considered I'd pick Sony's product any day, primarily because what it lacks in instruments (a) it makes up for in functionality, and (b) you can easily fill in the gaps by buying your own VSTis.

Just how I feel personally Wink.
The Mitchell
actually in all honesty id say ableton is by far the most powerful for mixing. ive been playing with it for the last 6 months on the dj side of things and its insane what you can do with this software. admitedly your interface is nothing like a proper deck dj would use admtedly but its far far more powerful than any traktor dj. its not even in the same league in fairness. also it is designed so that you can also mix your own full songs in too so you can play a set with a few tracks by others and then drag over a performance song file into the mix in realtime then carry on playing into an actual live set.

Ableton is beyond any other program i have even touched in honesty. since getting even the remote whiff of how good this program was i havent touched cubase, logic, reason (apart from for making loops every now and again) or anything else but wavelab to be honest. Ableton has the functionality of reasons looping and cubases sequencing but the ability to work on a live format in almost a jamming style.

Ableton is most definitely the way forward folks try it and you will not be dissappointed after sticking out the initial jump.
Zzz.
I agree a lot ! This software is simply wonderful. And I can just immagine what one can do with it and a nice plug-and-play controller... Rolling Eyes
froginabox
Ableton does kick some major behind, but is much more expensive. I got started on FL Studio because it had a demo that was easy to figure out, and I was making music pretty fast. I do agree however that Acid does much better with straight-up sequencing, but a lot of my work is with VSTi stuff, so I find FL easier sometimes. I switch between the two quite a bit.
Zzz.
Does anybody know some equivalent software for Linux ? I've just been given the Ubuntu Studio version and think I'm gonna try it out. But I do not know any open source software that can battle with FL, Live & co.
deStructuralized
froginabox wrote:
Ableton does kick some major behind, but is much more expensive. I got started on FL Studio because it had a demo that was easy to figure out, and I was making music pretty fast. I do agree however that Acid does much better with straight-up sequencing, but a lot of my work is with VSTi stuff, so I find FL easier sometimes. I switch between the two quite a bit.

Fair enough, I used to use FL for drums and ACID for sequencing, before I got myself an MPD and got familiar with ACID's MIDI setup. FL's VSTis are definitely good quality.

On a related note, I'd definitely recommend that anybody really into producing music get themselves a good quality Control Surface. It doesn't need to be a big name, expensive brand either...anything that allows you to send MIDI signals for transport, mixing, etc...I just got my used Tascam US-428 completely working yesterday and it's completely changed the way I do things.
froginabox
YES. Even if it's just a cheapo USB keyboard that has some faders and pads on it, a controller will enable you to make the music quicker and create it tighter so you don't have to re-quantize things so often.
deStructuralized
^ Most definitely

And as an added bonus, more hands on usually means more fun
Related topics
background music
Howdy Doo from Montana!
What kind of forum you visit??
If I die today, what will I miss the most?
Hello!
Major Piracy Bust Against Top Providers
is software helping people?
Sporewiki.com
Myspace Helio?
DJ Softwares
IF YOU LIKE TECHNO, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF MY MIX
Elton John Wants To Shut Down the Internet
Djs or Bands
HELP:I want to learn how to create music on a computer synth
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.