FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Graphics Installion Problem

Sparda
I recently purchased a new graphics card for my computer and I messed some things up.

Computer Model: T4010(Desktop)

New Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 PCI SLOT DDR

Current Graphics Controller: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
(Came with PC when purchased)

When I first tried adding this new graphics hardware, I did not know I needed to disable the graphics controller. This resulted in:

1.Unable to Open ANY program.
2.Screen Shrunk
3.Slow Proformance
4.Minor Freezes

I want to try this again. I want to know anything I need to know for installing a graphics card so I do not mess anything up this time around. Also, do I install Software first? In the installation guide, it says to install hardware first, but that doesn't seem right.

2nd Issue:

When Hardware is found, a dialog box does not appear as stated on the guide. It shows as a bubble in the taskbar and states new hardware is found and what it is called. Then the bubble goes away. Is there some way I should allow that dialog box to show up when new hardware is found?

~Your help is Much Appriciated!
mystzero
The installation manual for the new graphics card is right. But, it assumes that your pc does not come with any form graphics card. And, since you have a previously installed graphics driver, you should have taken the these steps as opposed to the instruction mentioned in the installation manual:

1. Before installing the new graphics card to the new motherboard, you should uninstall the integrated graphics driver via Device Manager.
2. Uninstalling the resulting driver will most probably require you to reboot your pc. After rebooting, shut the pc down.
3. Now, install your new graphics card to the motherboard.
4. Power on your pc and go into the BIOS.
5. Find for a setting or option to disable the integrated graphics card.
6. Save the settings for your BIOS.
7. Boot into Windows like you normally do.
8. Install the new graphics card driver.
gh0stface
mystzero pretty much has the correct route for dealing with your dilemma. The only other thing that I would add is that when you're installing the nVidia graphics driver, I would disable the anti-virus before you install it. After you are done installing the graphic drivers, then turn it back on.
Runthornet
both of the above posts are right.. having said that ive never once (and ive installed lots of cards) followed the proper [uninstall previous driver 1st] procedure and its always worked everytime for me!

All i would have done is...

turn of puter

put the card in

disabled the onboard gfx card in the bios
(usually [DEL] or [F2] key at startup to enter the bios..)

reboot

install drivers

done...

other than leaving some very small files (old drivers) on your computer
i dont see why anyone would do it any other way.. i always think that if i removed the new card.. i wouldnt have to get the driver disk 4 my old card
because windows would already know where they are..

hoped i helped in someway Smile
TheGeek
Another silly thing to know is about the dual head outputs that might be on that card (i don't know if it does without pictures). If you see two plugs on the cards for a monitor and after doing all of the steps mentioned above you don't get anything on your screen in windows, switch the monitor plugs on the card...chances are you got it backwards. But to try to help you not make that mistake, plug it into the port closest to the motherboard, that usually is the primary slot.
Bones
The only other thing that I would like to mention is that the shrunken screen is normal after installing a new video card. The first time the card/driver sees that screen resolution, you will sometimes need to manually readjust the screen size using the controls on your monitor.
AutoTechGuy
All you have to do is go into BIOS and disable the on board video. If this option isn't available, then boot into windows and disable (but not remove) the video from device manager. If it makes you reboot, turn the computer off before it boots back up.. otherwise just shut it down.

Then install the new video card and boot back up. Make sure the monitor is plugged into the new card.

If you remove the onboard video instead of just disabling it, windows will just find it again and put it back up there, resulting in further headaches.

Also some PCI slots don't like video cards for some reason, so try a different slot if you're still having problems.

Good luck!