FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has anyone tried Supreme Commander?

Sneemaster
I was wondering if anyone had tried the Supreme Commander game? How is the performance? What is the AI like? What hardware specs does it need or run best on? What is it like using the different units and factions?
QrafTee
Sneemaster wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had tried the Supreme Commander game? How is the performance? What is the AI like? What hardware specs does it need or run best on? What is it like using the different units and factions?

Is it even out yet? From what I've heard it's Total Annihilation 2. And if that's true, I'm interested in it... provided my notebook PC can handle it. I am quite happy with custom units and the like.
Comatose
Yeah, it should be out... Rolling Eyes
Ducksteina
I played the beta and I really liked it.
It could really be Total Annihilation 2...

My computer isn't that good, but the graphics were still ok and it didn't lag at all. I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro, A64 3000+ and 1024 Mbyte RAM.
The beta was still a bit unbalanced imo, but I think that's going to be fixed.
It's really fun to command 500+ units at once Smile
The games usually are very long - the longest match I played was like 4 hours...
Sneemaster
Wow, well if your computer isn't that good with those specs, then my system won't run it at all. I've just got an Athlon 1.4Ghz with 512mb ram and a Geforce 440mx card. I guess I'll have to upgrade then won't I? Now I'm jealous. Smile
How was the replay value? Did you get to try any campaigns? What were the different units like to command?
TarsajumaClan
We did an article up on our impressions from the demo.
which can be read here. http://www.myarcadeplanet.com/article-14-Supreme-Commander-Demo-Impressions.html
QrafTee
I heard Supreme Commander will even put an Alienware out to pasture if the game lags on over 2 hours. That is crazy.
datter
I tried the demo and absolutely hated it. At 1024x768 the interface takes up more than HALF the screen. The devs are quite proud of how well the game works on two monitors and I can see why... you NEED two monitors to really get anything out of it.

datter
basementgamesltd
Hey Guys,

I havent played Supreme Commander yet, but I read a few previews for it a couple months back. It looks like it should turn out well or has turned out well. I'll spring for it once I have a decent computer worthy of playing it. And it is Total Annihilation 2, but Chris Taylor didnt have the rights to the name so he just called it 'Supreme Commander'. Anyways, you guys take care and keep it real...
bonestorm74
I played it but didn't really like it a whole lot. To me it seems to be just a matter of cranking out as many units as possible and marching them across the map, then rinse and repeat. A very old formula in RTS.

Also games can easily take a couple of hours, which I don't like.

There's no comparison with something like Company of Heroes for mine. But each to their own.
yhally
never tried it, where can i find that game???? look interesting but can a 256 memory handled that game? my processor is 2.6ghz and 80GB hardisk....
QrafTee
yhally wrote:
never tried it, where can i find that game???? look interesting but can a 256 memory handled that game? my processor is 2.6ghz and 80GB hardisk....

I believe it takes up around 10-12 GB on install... Not sure about the other specs, but it's steep.
Revvion
I tried the demo and really liked it, to bad my pc isnt the best for this game., but i still misted the old TA feeling.
Mordane
9GB installed Very Happy, also this game supports dual monitor displays! I love this fact. I have a rusty old Barton 2500+ and a 6600GT on agp and it runs smooth, you just have to tweak the hell out of the settings.

Its awsome, a real logial progression from the original TA, but there is only 6 mission perside (even if they do take like 2hours each to complete).

Plus, http://www.planetannihilation.com/taan/temp/MKLtaan.jpg

Monkeylord! has the coolest laser soundeffects I have ever sounds, and its just awsome! Pew-pew hosepipe redlight death!