FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto

TurtleShell
I read this in college and it remains one of my favorites. It's a book of two strange little...ghost stories, in a way. The writing is simple, charming and artful. Has anyone read this? Thoughts?
linangan
More recently, I read Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto.

Kitchen is about a Japanese girl living in the present who is confronted by a series of strange events while trying to gain her own composure at the same time. I liked the writing style a lot; while you could tell it was translated (and I've read that the translator took a little too much liberty about it), you could also tell that it wasn't written in English--if that makes any sense. The sequence of events, the metaphors, the sentiments expressed were all slightly off, and they were fun to read. The plotline is shallow and unconventional at the same time; you don't know what's going to happen, but when it does, you're not surprised. Worth flipping through; it's not not like wastes a landfill of effort to read.
loryl
I totally forgot that I read this sophomore year in college until I came upon this thread! It's a cute story and provides insight into modern Japanese culture. Certainly, for someone who's used to reading American literature, there were surprises in the plot; but that's to be expected from a writer who lives half a world away. Besides, who can resist NOT reading a work by someone who's named after a fruit!