FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SAP/ABAP ?

mialynavahy
Do you think that it is possible to learn SAP/ABAP by yourself (with books, exercises...) ?
makli
I'm not sure if it is very useful to learn SAP/ABAP by yourself. Why do you want to learn it?

I am not a SAP consultant, but I have learned some pieces about the backgrounds of this system. Just the underlying busines process model (ARIS) is quite a lot of work to learn. In the next step you have to analyse the business processes you want to adapt the SAP software to and the last step will be programming.

The next point which is against learning it by yourself is: where do you want to train your programming skills? Do you have a SAP installation?

I think it is not a good idea. You should learn a general purpose language (Java, C, VB, whatever ...), so you are a skillful programmer. And then it is easy to learn a new language or a new system.

Maybe, learning COBOL might be a good idea to learn more about programming business logics.

HTH

Makli
losarjho
I work like consultant in SAP. I write reports in abap for three years.

In this time i have learned much knowledge looking in forums like sdn.sap.com. I find many documents in internet (bittorent , emule, web pages like www.sapgenie.com. Yo can buy books in www.sappress.com.

You can practice this knowledge too. SAP has an evaluation version for education called minisap. You cand find it in their web site.
raphaelx
mialynavahy wrote:
Do you think that it is possible to learn SAP/ABAP by yourself (with books, exercises...) ?

I think quite hard to learn SAP/ABAP by yourself.

Even with a good material to study, practice is the most important. And knowledge of the SAP R/3 enverionment it's one of the most challenging points (there are some tricks that you just learn when you have a good time as a SAP/ABAP consultant).

I am 2 years experienced ABAPer, and I've been learning all this time. The most important is to know people more experienced that could help you (a friend of mine always says that the difference between an inexperienced ABAPer and an experienced one is the number of people you know that who could help you). And thers is the SDN forum too.

My advice: try to join a company that pay you a SAP/ABAP academy and, the most important, give you a chance to work in the beggining.

Regards,

Raphael
Liu
It is incredibly hard to learn ASAP on your own. I work for a IT consulting company where one of my coworkers is currently learning it. She's been working on it for over a year and just now getting familiarized with it.

It takes a lot of dedication and work.

Unfortunately SAP is written by accountants for accountants so it's really poorly designed. It should have been designed and written by a professional with a background in software developing / engineering.