FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forums hacked

raaeft1
My forums have been ``hacked'' and all sorts of ``obscene'' and ``unwanted'' messages are being posted.

I would like to delete the forums and use my webhosting to put up another website on almost similar topics. How do I go about it?

Moreover, I have forgotten my passwords to access direct administration. Please help.
wumingsden
raaeft1 wrote:
My forums have been ``hacked'' and all sorts of ``obscene'' and ``unwanted'' messages are being posted.

I would like to delete the forums and use my webhosting to put up another website on almost similar topics. How do I go about it?

Moreover, I have forgotten my passwords to access direct administration. Please help.

For obscene/unwanted messages are appearing this does not mean that your forums have been hacked, rather your security for registration is not strong enough. You can strengthen this by enabling account verification via email, admin verification, or enabling the image verification (if this is enabled you should think about using a more advanced system available, or coding your own). If you forums have been hacked (meaning someone has gained access to your admin account) then you should use the toolkit which seems to be really good, thankfully i haven't yet had to use it, but thats because my premodded forum software seems extremely secure.
If you files have been accessed, then it is likely that this is because a) the files have an incorrect CHMOD, b) you are using a premodded forum then it means that files are unstable/unreliable/unsecure and you should rather patch the software, or stop using it.

If this particular circumstance I do not recommend editing your raw database, which I would usually do. You could download your database and remove all offensive messages, but this could cause multiple error instances, which include the proper syncing of forum statistics (like how many posts are posted in a thread, how many posts a use has, etc).

So, if someone has gaines more priviliages, like that of a admin/moderator account, then use the toolkit mentioned above.
If there are lots of users that are posting rude messages this usually means that they are bad bots. You can delete these also via the toolkit.

If you have forgotten your admin password the toolkit may be able to help (I can't remember whether it has this function or not). If it doesn't, then you can use this method to do so.
theem
Hey ! Arrow
here's a quick method if you don't have much stuff in your forums !!

just backup your forums database
    then delete the directory of your forums !
    reinstall forums
    restore your forums database !

that's how i did mine !

Confused
mOrpheuS
raaeft1 wrote:

The 'obscene' messages or SPAM on your forums is not hacking.
It's someone simply posting such messages as guest.

Deleting your website and creating a new forum hardly solves this, the spamming will start again if you continue to allow guest posts.

All you have to (and the only thing you can) do is to force people to register before allowing them to post.
raaeft1
Thank you for the excellent advice. But suppose I want to delete the forums altogether and use my webspace to create another web site, not forums, how do I go about it.
Animal
raaeft1 wrote:
Thank you for the excellent advice. But suppose I want to delete the forums altogether and use my webspace to create another web site, not forums, how do I go about it.

In this case, you could simply delete the database for your forum, then remove the entire contents of your public_html directory. If you wish a new web address (eg. site.frih.net) then you should request this using your Account page.
slayer1927
it would work but if you want to do somthing easier just make a new forum useing like inision board or excoboards