FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OS Firewall

riv_
I am in the process of setting up a new machine. I would like to install OS software, as much as possible.
I would like to use a software firewall, and was wondering what some of you security experts Smile would recommend?
Thanks!
{name here}
riv_ wrote:
I am in the process of setting up a new machine. I would like to install OS software, as much as possible.
I would like to use a software firewall, and was wondering what some of you security experts Smile would recommend?
Thanks!

Well, there isn't a real substitute for a good old fashioned router, IMO.
riv_
Well, I already HAVE a hardware firewall!
I want a software firewall too.
ezekiel_rage
riv_ wrote:
Thanks!

What OS are you using?

If you are using linux, a firewall is most probably bundled/packaged with the installation. You just have to install/configure it.

Also, there are distros that comes with SELinux already preconfigured.

As with Windows.

My personal opinion is this;

How can you secure an operating system that is inherently insecure?

But anyway, there are a lot of firewall available for windows. and if you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2. a firewall is already bundled with it, with some semblance of "security".

You can also try Zone Alarm

But for what it's orth, if you want decent security, go with linux or unix.

Hope this helps
frac2
If you ask me, software firewalls are rather useless. However if you insist, I'll reccomend Sygate, as it's free, and light.

Or if you're up for a challenge, try the impossible to configure Jetico.

Oh by the way I'm assuming you're on Windows.
riv_
Windows will do.
I'll probably set this one up to dual boot... not sure which distro yet...
For a change, I was vague on purpose.
akshar
Quote:
I would like to suggest you not to use firewall alone because it cant detect any suspicious files.That is biggest disadvantage.Its good to use any Intrusion Detectin System software with firewall because it prevents all type of attacks and updates firewalls database
orcaz
I would recommend Outpost Pro as a software firewall, though it isnt a freeware. Used to have ZoneAlarm last time, but the version 6.5 branch was a disaster and I stopped using it since.
{name here}
riv_ wrote:

You have no need for a software firewall! The router will do basically everything you need in your firewall needs!
DrZero
One of the benefits of a hardware firewall is that your machine doesn't have to deal with the nitty-gritty details like the firewall. Since you already have a hardware firewall, presumably a router, you should make sure that provides proper security for your entire network.

I guess another layer of security never hurts, though.
mony
i think if u r a windows User u can put in ur list for portection the (windows life Onecare) which offer for 90
days trial
its good and compined with the windows firewall and antiviruse

so u donot need to install an additional software for secure

i hope that can help u
solidghost
I have heard great things about tinywall.
Very small and powerful piece of software
jay84h
riv_ wrote:

If you have a hardware firewall, than that is good enough. If you get a software firewall than cases are both the hardware and software firewalls will conflict with one another.
orcaz
riv_ wrote:

If you have a hardware firewall, than that is good enough. If you get a software firewall than cases are both the hardware and software firewalls will conflict with one another.

I don't think it will conflict, juz tt it is quite unnecessary. I tested it out by installing a software firewall on my notebook, though I used a firewalled router. But by looking at the logs, it proves unnecessary to have a software firewall when u r behind a hardware firewall alr. Most of the malicious packets are already filtered out.
mystzero
Well, hardware firewalls are indeed useful for blocking unauthorized access to your pc. However, it's better to play safe when it comes to security. Therefore, i would advised you to at least install a software firewall especially if you are on a Windows operating system. Under certain extent, hardware firewalls could be trick to allow unauthorized packets. An example would be IP spoofing. Since hardware firewall will not block acknowledged packets from a remote server (because your pc requested it), a hacker can spoof his IP to your IP address. So, when he sends a packet from his pc, the remote server will not respond to his pc's request. Instead, the server will respond to your pc by sending the acknowledged packets. This result in a DrDoS attack. And, at this time around, your router's Stateful Packet Inspection feature will be useless. Hence, you will need a software firewall to act as a last defence for your pc in case a malicious packet manage to sneak pass your hardware firewall. And, FYI, hardware firewalls do not conflict with software firewalls.

Software firewalls that i would like to recommend:

• Zone Alarm Firewall (Free Edition)
  • Sygate Personal Firewall
  • Lavasoft Personal Firewall
  • Tiny Firewall
Daniel15
I personally use Comodo Personal Firewall... It's free, and was shown to be the best software firewall in recent leak tests (http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php)

{name here} wrote:
riv_ wrote:

You have no need for a software firewall! The router will do basically everything you need in your firewall needs!

Even though a hardware firewall will block incoming connections, they don't usually filter outgoing connections. The main reason for a software firewall is to filter outgoing internet connections (eg. if a trojan finds its way on to your PC, it will not be allowed Internet access).

EDIT: Also, a lot of "hardware firewalls" are not true hardware solutions - Most consumer equipment uses Linux + IPTABLES. Only things like Cisco routers are proper hardware firewalls.
loosu
Simplest solution is to get yourself a copy of

Zonealarm security suite .
it includes the complete set , including antivirus , mail checker and firewall .

Zone alarm , firewall , is completely free for personal use and is great than other tools .

Help is here . http://dl2.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1001_cnet_zdnet/zlsSetup_70_302_000_en.exe

Good luck .