FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats Are The Dangers Of Using, Or Stealing Others Wifi

cgrim29588
I was just wondering what are the danger of using other people's WiFi and how do you prevent it from happening?

I pay for my own wireless service and many times i get disconnected (DSL Light continuously blinks) and have trouble getting logged back on. On several occasions now, when bidding on an item in an eBay auction is about to end, bids that i have made get out bid, and when i try to rebid, i get disconnected and lose out on the item. Another time they usually happen is when i play online poker and i get disconnected and timed out on a hand were i end up losing money.

My disconnections usually happen nightly and they happen on crucial situations that is costing me money.

I was wondering what are the dangers of using an unprotected WiFi source for things like eBay and Internet Poker? Are there ways to protect myself from those dangers?

I know that using other people WiFi is immoral and probably illegal, but the WiFi source i've stumbled into gets great speeds (2850Kb/s on speakeasy speedtest) and i doubt they would get a slow down from me using it for ebay or internet poker. I've used the connection in the past just to surf the net when my connection was down, and prevented myself from logging into any online accounts, but i do know it is a stable connection.

Thanks in advance for reading and maybe giving your two cents.
jay84h
Dangers of using WiFi on anothers connection? Well, if you are making bids for real money using online poker for example, it can be dangerous in regards of losing money for nothing. If the person shuts down they're WiFi that you are using at anytime, for any reaosn, can be one danger. You never know when they will shut it off.
dz9c
Quote:
I was just wondering what are the danger of using other people's WiFi

If they invest in a little money and see someone else is also using their internet then the first person they will go to is their neighbor... Or just add some encryption and thats that.

Quote:
how do you prevent it from happening?

Dont use their network. Get your own if you need internet and if you want a protected wireless just follow your wireless routers instructions. Relatively easy
HoboPelican
As pointed out in another topic, there are at least 2 states (and most likely more) that specifically prohibit the using of someone else network without prior permission. If caught ( a Fla man was caught recently) penatlies include loss of your computer, damages, and the owners legal fees.
DecayClan
Get your own wireless network, and use MAC adressing for max security
DrZero
Just pay for your own Internet connection. Not only are you taking your neighbor's bandwidth (probably resulting in slower speeds for him/her), but it isn't even working for you. In this situation, I would say that getting your own connection is The Right Thing To Do (TM).
fadirocks
The topic asked for the dangers not if it's proper or not!
Let me tell you if you get on my network using some kinda windows OS for a prolonged time consider yourself hacked Shocked

Also if you have your network open to whoever gets on without proper network security you might get hacked as well

also depends on your level of network security knowledge and programs you're using you might be just sharing your music over your itunes or limewire and if you have shared printer under the wireless network you might get some fun SPAM printouts!
xorcist
DecayClan wrote:
Get your own wireless network, and use MAC adressing for max security
Or you can just pay him to use his connection it would properly be cheaper then getting your own.
dz9c
how do you know whos on your wireless newtwork? it makes me wonder if anyones using mine. we dont have security enabled yet...
xorcist
dz9c wrote:
how do you know whos on your wireless newtwork? it makes me wonder if anyones using mine. we dont have security enabled yet...
You log into your router and then most routers show right there who is logged in and if its wireless connection or directly connected through Ethernet and you can also change your passwords for the Wireless there and many different things.