FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PERL scripts + directories

dayveday
Hi all,

Is there any problem with setting PERL scripts to execute in the home directory of my site? I'm using this .htaccess file in my public_html directory:

Code:
Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

Is there really any security worries with this? In other hosts I've used previously, PERL was enabled by default in all directories. I'm not sure what extra security the 'cgi-bin' provides.

Thanks
qscomputing
Basically, a CGI is a program that you run on your server, which in itself can be considered a security risk (would I trust a program that you've written and I've never seen to be run on MY computer? Answer: no). It is generally the user's responsibility to ensure that his scripts are secure, but the server administrator provides a mechanism to help that. For example, another webhosting company mandates that all CGIs must be in the cgi-bin and only be writable by the user who created them.

Only being able to execute programs from the cgi-bin directory means that you only need to think about security wrt executables on that directory; if you're just serving static HTML files you can be a lot less vigilant about security - so by putting CGIs only in one directory, you are making your life easier by simplifying your security issues.

HTH.