FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Windows XP Vs. Windows Vista?





nigam
Which OS in your PC you want to use Windows XP or Windows Vista? Why?
turbowolf
Never use Windows Vista. Because it's no need to use Vista. XP is enough. All programs run well in XP. On the other side, more than 90% windows games can't run on Vista. A lot of website can't display correctly in IE7. The only one
advantage of Vista is its GUI. But unfortunately it need hardware support. In my point, I will not upgrade my machine only for vista.

nigam wrote:
Which OS in your PC you want to use Windows XP or Windows Vista? Why?
jay84h
Agreed, no need to have Vista running on your PC. If you had a low end PC running XP, then obviously it bogged down the performence. That is exactly what the case is here, if you have a high end PC, and you have Vista, it will obviously lower the performace down. XP is just fine, there is no reason why anyone should have Vista. It is only another money making decision made by Bill Gates.
william
I have to agree with the previous comments. I've used both Home Premium and Ultimate, and I must say, it really slows your computer down. There are still some bugs, it's not compatible with a lot of software, it's horrible for gaming, and more. Sure, if you have a really high end computer, you may want to use Vista. Anyhow, stick with XP unless you have a computer with power to spare.
jipmerite
How long is MS going to continue support for XP? That's something you need to consider if you're buying a new system.
jay84h
Microsoft will continue to support XP for a while now. They will not just up and unsupport it anymore because millions of people use that OS and even Microsoft knows themselves that most people are smart to not upgrade to Vista.
fadirocks
I even like Win2k pro more than XP pro but choose XP for easier hardware detection and compatibility upon installation & running also it came with my laptop pre-installed so don't need to bother

I mean I'm running winXP but using classic theme, using classic start page, classic control panel, classic folder sharing, welcome screen is disabled and user switcher agent is disabled Smile
also I use other older interfaces such as lusrmgr.msc instead of the new users manager

so basically I'm sticking with WindowsXP forever on my laptop I might get Windows Vista for a new PC that I would build in the distant future!
jay84h
One day I will get Windows Vista no doubt. That is when they would have all the bugs fixed and be more supported by software and hardware. When Windows XP first came out, all the bugs we're not fixed until they released Service Pack 1. We will eventually need to upgrade to Vista in the future, but not anytime soon.
turbowolf
Aha, they all say that you should never use a windows system before its first service pack comes out!

In my point of view, I feel disappointed with microsoft. They don't care the feeling of developers and customers. I was still using win98 when they stopped the official support for it, which really hurted me. When the new .NET framework comes out the situation becomes worse. VB is upgraded to VB.net, which means that VB is no longer supported by Microsoft and is kicked off. I still had some VB programs to maintain at that time. But I know that everything is gone. Sooner or later, I have to transfer to another development platform.

That's enough for me. I don't want to study VB.net. I already move myself to UNIX like platform. Yes, they are hard to coping with. But at least they are friendly to me. No more MFC, no more VB, no more Vista, no more .net. I believe that XP is the last windows system used by me. I like XP. But that's all. Now I am using Ubuntu. It can satisfy me. If Ubuntu go down, at least I still have Debian. The one will never go down and lose support.

jay84h wrote:
One day I will get Windows Vista no doubt. That is when they would have all the bugs fixed and be more supported by software and hardware. When Windows XP first came out, all the bugs we're not fixed until they released Service Pack 1. We will eventually need to upgrade to Vista in the future, but not anytime soon.
Jaan
The next Windows is coming out in 2 years. that's what they said of Vista though, but I don't know if they'll postpone it for 5 years this time.
It's called "Vienna".
As for Vista, I will wait maybe half a year before getting it. Just so things stabilize and we see the outlook for Vienna.
yjwong
Quote:
On the other side, more than 90% windows games can't run on Vista. A lot of website can't display correctly in IE7.


I do not agree to your point. Most current games will work on Windows Vista. Only games that rely on the old DirectSound API won't work, because in DirectX 10, the DirectSound API has been revamped. You might want try to also install DirectX 9.0 EX for games to be compatible. As far as I know, many of my current games will work on Windows Vista.

Also, many websites won't work on IE7 isn't because IE7 is crap. IE7 incorporates lots of changes, including more-compliance with CSS3 and the previous versions of CSS, and therefore, many sites won't display correctly. It isn't the fault of IE7, it is the fault of the websites creator. The website creator should take time to check whether their site is fully HTML and CSS compilant so as to ensure proper rendering of the page.
orcaz
jipmerite wrote:
How long is MS going to continue support for XP? That's something you need to consider if you're buying a new system.

According to Wiki, main support is going on till 30 Jan 2009, and xtended support till 2014.
internetjobs
it is very slow.... it required more RAM than xp.... list me the difference
Rob.Stiff
set up my dads pc 2 nights ago and what a heap of shit vista is - i mean a slow heap of steaming crap. wow it looks great but runs like a skoda on bricks. this is a system running big dual core cpu and 2gb ram lol. everytime you open a new program there is some bug or another. msn live wont run at all unless you open in admin mode rofl and thats their own bloody programs. oh and a brand new vista ready webcam wouldnt work neither lol!!!
Nyizsa
yjwong wrote:
Also, many websites won't work on IE7 isn't because IE7 is crap. IE7 incorporates lots of changes, including more-compliance with CSS3 and the previous versions of CSS, and therefore, many sites won't display correctly. It isn't the fault of IE7, it is the fault of the websites creator. The website creator should take time to check whether their site is fully HTML and CSS compilant so as to ensure proper rendering of the page.

We have heard quite a lot of promises that IE7 will be compliant with the web standards. It isn't. For example, when visiting a valid xhtml page, IE7 offered to download the unknown application. This is not compliance.
Also, many web sites aren't displayed correctly, because the designers added support for the IE family's crappy performance. So it is neither the fault of the creators, nor that of IE7, it's the fault of all previous IEs.

Just for info: I booted Window$ just to check if the promises about IE7 are true. Well, not surprisingly they aren't.
the6thfactor
Yeah, Vista is just not worth it. I like the GUI a lot, and I feel it has promise... but I'm not willing to sacrifice performance for looks.
bhzh
I think the only good part about Vista is it's GUI but, then again, you could also port it over to XP, like I am currently doing though Vista Transformation Pack, for free and still retain some of the slick new GUI but with a more reliable performance and better performance. I think I will skip Vista all together and wait for Windows "Vienna". Or at least wait until SP 1 comes out and buy it online for cheap. Laughing
gtherockgod
I'm sure I'll end up upgrading one day. It won't be for a while, I just got this computer about 6 months ago. I figure by the time i'm ready for an upgrade, Vista will probably be standard with PCs and HOPEFULLY the bugs will be worked out Razz

I just bought an xbox 360 as well, and from their website I've been reading all this stuff about connecting the xbox up to your "Windows XP" computer. Does anyone know how the xbox reacts to Vista?
XLCpanama
Well xp is a very very good OS cuz Vista is so new no drivers for most of games and graphics cards but its not so bad....lets see ucz syas u will nedd a good pc for runnig it, i jsut hope that the next time they do not says that is the best and no anti vir or fire wall si neede Razz
Sunny
They have improved the firewall in Vista, now it monitors outgoing traffic as well but still its not good enough! I dont really see a reason to upgrade to Vista unless you have latest hardware to support the features. Even if you want to use Vista, I think it wont be bad idea to use your pc as dual boot and keep your xp as well.
greatfire
I do not see a purpose in switching to vista, as the above poster mentioned the firewall is improved. Yeah, so what. I turned mine off after the first ten times it bugged me in XP. Oh CoD MP is trying to access network, do you want me to block it, no. Ohh. Tremulous.exe is ... You get the point. The firewall has never stopped one thing on my computer and is more of a pain then anything else. Vista doesn't have anything Xp doesnt. So people say the aero theme and windows stack thing is great, good for them. I however hate the aero look and will just stick to the old alt+tab to cycle through windows.
theswolf
If you want use Win, I say that I prefer using MS WIN 2000, light-weighted than XP and with same sysop function.... less beautiful in graphics but more performative in apps.....
theac
nigam wrote:
Which OS in your PC you want to use Windows XP or Windows Vista? Why?


I got to beta test vista and i dint think that it was all that great. it ran good but if your computer is not upto date and the graphics and motherboard arn't good enough to run it than i think it would run great for about a month before it started to slow down consiterabally. I dont like xp either but i think the better of the two evils would have to be xp because its been out longer and has less errors.
donika_hell
I still prefet WIn XP because Vista is still not good enough to work properly with applications and it wants very fast PC
zhuzhu
i just bought a new toshiba laptop that came with a copy of vista and i have to say i am not that impressed. although it comes with new graphics and a few new sounds, it is not compatible with SO MANY software and programmes that i already have. Am i to buy a new copy of absolutely everything?

Perhaps it is too early. Should i wait around to see if the provisions for vista improve or just take it off and run XP on my computer?
jay84h
I would have to say. IF I bought a PC right now (which obviously I would not), but lets say IF I did, and it had Vista preloaded onto it, I would not keep it on. I would format the thing and put Windows XP on.
falconfx
I think it's going to be the same story as it was with Windows XP. I plan to leave XP when Vista gets all the certified drivers for my hardware.

To be more sure, I would also wait at least the release of the SP1.

By the way, I think that even Windows 98 (if not 95...) would work perfectly for nowadays needs... Smile

Bye
jay84h
falconfx wrote:
I think it's going to be the same story as it was with Windows XP. I plan to leave XP when Vista gets all the certified drivers for my hardware.

To be more sure, I would also wait at least the release of the SP1.

By the way, I think that even Windows 98 (if not 95...) would work perfectly for nowadays needs... Smile

Bye


Exactly what I was thinking!
FiskarN
turbowolf wrote:
Never use Windows Vista. Because it's no need to use Vista. XP is enough. All programs run well in XP. On the other side, more than 90% windows games can't run on Vista. A lot of website can't display correctly in IE7. The only one
advantage of Vista is its GUI. But unfortunately it need hardware support. In my point, I will not upgrade my machine only for vista.

nigam wrote:
Which OS in your PC you want to use Windows XP or Windows Vista? Why?



Yeeah thats true. Windows xp has enough with bugs for gamers but vista has even more :/ It sucks
ltwomba
My opinion is:
1) Vista is a ressource hog, and requires high-end hardware, so unless you have it, forget about Vista.
2) IF you have the hardware, you may switch to Vista. People used to using XP will (probably) take longer to do this until they learn the interface and where to find each thing.
3) Once you have got to this step you will probably think Vista is better because of the new features introduced (they aren't revolutionary though).
4) But after all...
golles
I think the folder structure is much and much beter, the only thing I don't like is that you have to allow everything, lots of programs need administration rights, and if you start them there gets an annoying allow screen Sad or when I want to put files in other folders, then I need to press 2 buttons Confused
high-end hardware,,,hmm,,, I'm running it on 2000Mhz (3000+) 1gb ram and 128mb grafic card and it is running good
mOrpheuS
I remember coming across similar discussions back when XP was launched, and almost everybody wrote off XP too.

That's just the typical initial reaction to any new product from the company that everyone typically hates. Razz



I'm running Vista on my 3 year old PC (2.4Ghz P4, 1GB ram), it works just fine. Memory consumption is between 300-400MB under normal usage. (music player + IM client + browser with around a dozen open tabs)

I'm not sure which applications have been crashing and the numerous bugs everyone else seems to be facing ... All the applications I use work flawlessly with Vista.
The closest I got to application incompatibilty is Nero 6.6.14 which causes a warning message about compatibilty to pop up. Upon ignoring the warning, however, it works just fine.

Most people are also reporting horrible experiences with gaming in Vista.
I've personally played Half Life 2 Episode One, Need for Speed - Carbon, Age of Empires III and a couple other games on Vista.
They're all DirectX 9 based games - they all run just fine.
How OpenGL games fare depends largely on the people who make drivers, not on Vista.

And finally, most people seem to be of the opinion that the only selling point of Vista is the GUI.
I'd love to hear from them again when DirectX 10 becomes the norm for game development ... Wink



golles wrote:
the only thing I don't like is that you have to allow everything, lots of programs need administration rights, and if you start them there gets an annoying allow screen

You can stop this by turning off "User Access Control". (Control Panel -> User Account -> "User Access Control")
Seiji
When I get a new PC I will get Vista and by that time more people will be using it. Not many liked XP when it first came out...a new operating system just takes time getting used too.
budazz
vista is good on GUI but not for application... you cant run just any program, it must be compatible for vista and vista needs a lot of system resource, at least if im not mistaken 512 ram and more Surprised
Mr.NaviPacho
I am using Windows XP right now, but I used Vista Beta 2 and Vista RC2. In my opinion Vista was released way to early and still has a huge amount of security flaws and bugs. There is already a Vista SP1 which means that right after release they fixed a lot of problems but knowing Microsoft there are probably still enough bugs to last them till their next OS release. Also Vista runs way slower than XP when XP is set up right.
Bones
I totally disagree with everyone saying that Vista requires high end hardware. It runs really well on my pc with no tweaking at all. Running Vista Ultimate dual booted with XP Pro on an AMD Athlon XP 2500 cpu with 512M ram and an nvidia fx5500 128M agp video card.

This pc is almost 5 years old and I do plan on building a new one in the next couple of months. I could use and extra 512M ram for sure, but if you consider this high end hardware then I would have to say that you have not looked at new hardware in a very long time!

Also, I havent had a game yet that hasen't run in Vista, although I admit that I have only tried a few.

Most of the problems with Vista are people who dont know any better and are trying to upgrade a 5year old install of XP, or driver related issues (which have nothing to do with microsoft)

Oh yes, and I do run Aero as well..
asianwannabe999
On my other pc, I have Vista Ultimate dual booting with XP Pro SP2. Vista, I agree is in a raw form at the moment, due to the fact that several major peripheral hardware companies were not ready with updated Vista drivers when Vista first came out, notably, nVidia. The gaming slow-down is because of the DX10 optimization. I'm using SLI'd 7600GT's in this machine and fps in most games I play have gone down about 3 - 4%. Nothing major, but when I play with just one 76GT the fps decreases drastically compared to one 76GT in XP. With only one card in place, fps drops about 14%, a drastically noticeable performance gap. When the 86 series comes out I will have to see if having a Dx10 card will close this gap. Also, the IE7 version in Vista is far better than the IE7 in XP. The browser loads almost twice as fast as my firefox browser does in Vista. Also, websites look correct in IE7 as they do in Firefox, a great improvement from IE6. Furthermore, the ram usage is not as high as it is in XP I believe (off the top of my head I think it uses less ram in vista). The dynamic search tool built into Vista's OS is very useful and searches quickly. Anyone who uses XP's search tool in Windows Explorer would know the pains of waiting sometimes hours for the search tool to complete its task. It's a completely different story in Vista. The UAC, while it can be annoying, makes you feel safe as it correctly identifies suspicious or delicate operations going on, whether they are user or automatically induced. The system hogging that others describe is only natural. When XP first came out, it used far more ram that Windows 98 did. When has a new OS come out that uses less system resources than its predecessor? Never. Finally, if you can actually see your system bogging down because you switched to Vista from XP, then you obviously need better hardware. Don't blame the OS which your slightly outdated pc can't handle.

Also, an OS doesn't run faster or slower than its predecessor. That's complete nonsense. It only seems like Vista is slower than XP because the hardware you are using currently was most likely designed for XP. Try using Vista on a computer designed for it, and you will see that it has more features and is more secure.
nigam
I guess hardware makers want us to use Win Vista OS so we will buy new computer or upgrade our old one's with some expensive peripheral devices. MS and hardware makers are merging there ideas so they can benefits. When cosumers upgrade to Vista OS.
nigam
Please check this site "Why Aren't You Upgrading to Vista?"

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18085/why-arent-you-upgrading-to-vista

check it out.
Bones
nigam wrote:
Please check this site "Why Aren't You Upgrading to Vista?"

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18085/why-arent-you-upgrading-to-vista

check it out.



Interesting read, thanks for the link. The one that I especially agree with is

Quote:
It's confusing. Everything that XP could do, Vista can do... only it's buried under a different menu and it has a new name. While average users probably never use many of these settings, power users have found themselves starting from scratch to relearn Windows.


For some reason, Microsoft seems to think that they need to change everything! Maybe to make it seem more 'new'?

I think in the long run, Vista will do well, the compatibility issues will be resolved as more hardware and software vendors update their products, and once Microsoft releases a badly needed service pack.

I like Vista so far, but I think that I will be sticking with a dual boot with XP for quite some time yet.
sabe
Most of the articles I've read think that if you have a system w/XP that works don't change. ..

When you upgrade. Make the switch. I think that it is true w/most OS changes.

Leave "old" OS with the old machine, unless you specifically need a change due to added software or hardware. It is made to run on your computer. New computers will be made for the new OS & will, probably, run better with the new OS.

Why "fix" something, like your computer, if it is not broken?

New is not always better. Especially with Microsoft. It is just different.
Bones
So many people are angry right now and saying that Microsoft is 'force feeding' everyone Vista. I find that statement really really funny as I don't recall Bill Gates showing up at anyone's house with a gun Wink

XP is going to be around for a long time yet I imagine.
babumuchhala
I have Win XP on my system, and there's no way i can upgrade to Vista, because, my PC doesn't even meet the minimum requirements.

Anyways as to what I feel, is that Vista is a much better OS than XP, but will it end up like Windows ME is another thing. Personally I need to upgrade my system and I don't see it happening, in the near future. SO Vista is a gonner for me.

Another thing is that the latest reports show that at it minimum requirements Vista will be worse than XP and another report suggested it needs 4 GB of RAM to give optimal output, and that a long shot at the current market price. [I READ THESE STUFF ON SLASHDOT A FEW WEEKS BACK]

Plus with the next version of Windows being piped in 2 years, I doubt I will et Vista, and maybe directly jump to the next one.

The only way I will end up with Vista is if I buy a new machine and it comes with Vista.
{name here}
Bones wrote:
So many people are angry right now and saying that Microsoft is 'force feeding' everyone Vista. I find that statement really really funny as I don't recall Bill Gates showing up at anyone's house with a gun Wink

XP is going to be around for a long time yet I imagine.

Indirectly MS has suggested people to upgrade by cutting off support for newer applications for older operating systems and cutting off support of older operating systems as well. DirectX and Office, mainly.
Bones
Quote:

Indirectly MS has suggested people to upgrade by cutting off support for newer applications for older operating systems and cutting off support of older operating systems as well. DirectX and Office, mainly.



Yes I hear that excuse a lot, but no software company out there supports their software forever. It's not financially feasable to do so. Do you have any idea how much it costs MS for tech support every year? Yes they charge people for support, but if you think they make money from that you are kidding yourself.

So lets see, if you want support for Winodws 98? Lets try calling EA games and see if they will still give you support for Madden football 98, no? Thought not.
nhuabo
Never use Windows Vista. Because it's no need to use Vista. XP is enough. All programs run well in XP. On the other side, more than 90% windows games can't run on Vista. A lot of website can't display correctly in IE7. The only one
advantage of Vista is its GUI. But unfortunately it need hardware support. In my point, I will not upgrade my machine only for vista.

To some extent ,I agree with you .
My pc configure is not enough for Vista,now I don't use now.
But I am not sure If I will use it in future when I upgrade my hardware or buy a new computer.
The GUI advantage is a big advantage I think.
evilryu530
i currently have windows xp, but wondnt mind the switch to vista, but it's all good for now, xp is coo.
SGbilder
jay84h wrote:
One day I will get Windows Vista no doubt. That is when they would have all the bugs fixed and be more supported by software and hardware. When Windows XP first came out, all the bugs we're not fixed until they released Service Pack 1. We will eventually need to upgrade to Vista in the future, but not anytime soon.


...ALL the bugs fixed...

Laughing like that's ever gonna happen Laughing
jay84h
They have most bugs fixed within Windows XP. You have to give some credit to Vista, haha. One day most the the bugs will be fied and it will stable like Windows XP. Until than, Windows XP all the way!
pll
I agree that windows vista is not really stable. But when someone will see a bug/fault there will be a patch downloadable on microsoft.com.
corey
Wow! There's a lot of feedback here on this topic. As far as Windows being on a computer of mine, I will not be looking to buy a separate copy of Vista (not because they went with the wussy name Vista instead of keeping Longhorn, either! Razz).

I am looking at buying a lap top and if it has Vista on it, I may keep it there until the warranty runs out on the machine - or not. But, I'm not so sure that this will be a valid topic in a year or two. A lot of hardware manufacturers are releasing their specs to driver developers for other operating systems now and there might be a better alternative to Microsoft and their slow responses to security issues.
minotavrs
Vista kill our pocket..


we need for this..

New Graphic card
New RAM
New cpu
and finally an additional Job Razz Razz
Dean_The_Great
I just got a new laptop which had Vista on it standard. I hope it works out well, I don't get the laptop for a few days (shipping).

Is it possible for me to uninstall vista and install XP-Pro if I want? There shouldn't be anything stopping me, eh?
cvkien
my opinion is, if you don't have hardware support for windows vista, then what new games can you play? i'm from malaysia, i can calculate that a machine that cost around RM1400 can support windows vista perfectly. convert into us dolar it around 500USD. it GUI is perfect and also lot of its internal software as well. maybe you should try it, i mean vista ultimate. i agreed that other version of window vista is worthless to use because so many functions that are not come together with it. well, for the IE7 problem, then i ask you, in window xp, is it it's IE also good enough? i believe those who know about computer also will use mozilla or other as their default web browser. but for me so far, IE7 is still fine. for those games that cannot load in windows vista, i guess under is properties, you can set it compatibility run under window xp services pack 2, window 2000, or even 98 and 95.
Commando_Sondre
For me, it's simple:

- If you have XP, and like it and it works, stay with it
- If you don't like XP, switch to Vista, OS X og Linux
- My hardware sucks bigtime, so Vista is nothing for me (Gentoo FTW)
Xeniczone
XP is definetly better for now.

Vista has a good GUI (mostly ripped from mac) but not much works on it.
I ended up needing to get a new TV capture card. New sound card, new controllers. and a new mouse if I continued to run vista.

problems were my TV Capture card and sound card didn't have drivers at all. My controllers drivers didn't work, and my mouse would choose to work when it wanted too. Some boot ups my mouse wouldn't work at all.

The part I don't understand is why does it should so many different pictures on boot up. First it has to show you some weird Green line similar to XP but with no logo. Then it has to show you the Blue circle which is completely pointless and a waste of time. Then after that and you have logged in is it still has to take time to load all your drivers. They could have done it in a different order that would be more efficent. Like when I log in then show the blue circle and while it's showing me that load all my drivers. That way as soon as I see my desktop I can use it like on a mac.
carlospro7
I tried vista on an average computer, it didn't run too bad. A lot of extras are included, but I don't mind not having all of that. I'm sticking to XP for as long as I can.
rheanna
wrong topic...ss ;o) Busy with my cat.. ss
bukaida
I am personaly not planning to upgrade my computer soon. So no question of vista on my 2.4Ghz P4 with 512MB ram. At present installed the vista transformation pack and is happy with xp core and vista looks. Very Happy
orcaz
I have tried Windows Vista on my notebook, but Aero interface just failed to load because I couldn't find the WDDM driver for my Intel integrated graphics card. Also, the crap talk in some sites and forums about how Vista reduces power usage is somewhat unjustified. After I installed Vista, the CPU was much hotter, with the cooling fan running more frequently, as compared to Win XP. Since Aero failed to load, I decided to rollback to XP as there is no point using Vista anymore, with the basic interface which looks worse than XP actually...
xsharez
Windows Vista better than XP..but Windows XP more friendly...
jenice
I don't really have any solid reasons to use Windows XP rather than Vista other than I don't see a reason to switch. I'm fine using the program I already have. All my programs work (finally!) with XP. It seems with Vista coming out, by the time they get the programs to work with it they'll have upgrades. It's all a bit frustrating.
froginabox
My company got a few of the release candidates of Vista through the MSDN network. They were... interesting. I think most offices won't switch to Vista until everything is HIGHLY compatible, if they ever switch. Some of our machines now in the offices are dual-booted for Windows 2000 and XP, due to some legacy apps we still run. I think Vista might be the next ME...
mdsite
Well windows vista is new and has lot of holes. Some people say no point i have xp i dont need vista but they said the same thing about windows xp and now most people have windows xp. You should give Windows Vista one year to fix holes on it.
Arno v. Lumig
Bones wrote:
Quote:

Indirectly MS has suggested people to upgrade by cutting off support for newer applications for older operating systems and cutting off support of older operating systems as well. DirectX and Office, mainly.



Yes I hear that excuse a lot, but no software company out there supports their software forever. It's not financially feasable to do so. Do you have any idea how much it costs MS for tech support every year? Yes they charge people for support, but if you think they make money from that you are kidding yourself.

So lets see, if you want support for Winodws 98? Lets try calling EA games and see if they will still give you support for Madden football 98, no? Thought not.


EA Games = Microsoft
cheeta
I simply cant run vista on my PC, a AMD 2600+ with 512MB DDR, therefore I am happy with my copy Windows XP.. there is nothing that Windows XP cant do !! my work is going fine with XP... therefore I really dont feel any need of Upgrade my OS of system...
sunjay
vista is slow.

so slow that it takes more than 5minutes to boot. And i'm talking to boot on a Celeron D 2.66ghz with 768 mb ddr ram.

Compare it to XP, it takes less than 30seconds to boot.

and there is all that crap littered all over the place in Vista. Everything is slow slow slow.

In my opinion, VISTA IS A LOSER.
jenice
sunjay wrote:
vista is slow.

so slow that it takes more than 5minutes to boot. And i'm talking to boot on a Celeron D 2.66ghz with 768 mb ddr ram.

Compare it to XP, it takes less than 30seconds to boot.

and there is all that crap littered all over the place in Vista. Everything is slow slow slow.

In my opinion, VISTA IS A LOSER.


That's what I've been afraid of, is the slowing down. Each new OS that's come out has been slower than the previous one. I'm actually happy with XP because of the features it has, and the compatibility is has finally gotten.

I'm a bit afraid of going out to get a new system though and not having a choice. I'll put up a right fit if that's the case. I just don't want to have anything to do with it.
l.p.b.t
Ive got a dual boot program My computer is preety up to date so i belive im going to try out vista ultra edition.. Only to see how much more "advanced" it is and see wut i can expect in the near future with the newer os's
Ghost900
I plan to get Vista once most of the bugs are fixed and SP1 comes out.

I may want it once DX 10 comes out and a few games are better with it but right now I am sticking with XP and I plan to stick to XP for some time.

I was unimpressed how Microsoft released Vista when so few games worked on it.
mystzero
I've been using Vista Ultimate for quite some time. Not to say that it is more resource hogging than Windows XP, but it's seriously is a more comprehensive OS as compared to Windows XP. It's more secure, more stable. So far, i did not experience any BSODs.

And, although some people claimed that Vista consumes more that 60% of physical memory most of the time, there's a reason behind it. If you have been reading lots of articles about Windows Vista, you should know that the large consumption of memory is due to the SuperFetch feature which reduce applications load times. It is the total opposite of Windows XP. This is because Windows XP does not utilise most of the RAMs installed on our pc.
To sum things up,

Vista

  • More stable (fewer BSOD)
  • More secure (IE runs in protected mode, Address Space Layout Randomization, Patch Guard for 64 bit version, UAC <--although many claimed that it is annoying)
  • More user-friendly (Incremental Search)
  • Aero GUI
  • there are more...go try it yourself Razz
Talk2Tom11
I am running Windows XP x64 and have no intentions of using Vista. I have a friend that just bought a new dell with vista installed. It is terrible. It is impossible to do anything because if you don't have enough ram and a fasty enough processor it is too slow.

Most software is not Vista compatible. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when the destroyed their backwards compatibility. If i wanted a colorful OS that doesn't run anything i would have bought OS X!
TheGeek
I run windows XP right now because Vista simply is not widely supported yet. I think that once Microsoft works the bugs out of Vista and more software/drivers become available in a working form for it that it will be a great operating system. However, until then I will stick with XP and skin it to look like Vista (you gotta admit, it's sexy). If Microsoft can't clean up their act and fix the problems however, as soon as ATI gets THEIR act together and makes functioning linux drivers for their cards, I am going all linux...after all, its already on my desktop and file server...only thing left is the laptop Very Happy
orcaz
cheeta wrote:
I simply cant run vista on my PC, a AMD 2600+ with 512MB DDR, therefore I am happy with my copy Windows XP.. there is nothing that Windows XP cant do !! my work is going fine with XP... therefore I really dont feel any need of Upgrade my OS of system...

Unless you are a hardcore gamer, actually 512 mb of RAM is enuff to run Vista. I am doing it now, with Aero + transparency enabled. Haven't encountered any major issues yet.
jenice
I'm with you on that. I'm waiting for it to be more widely used, and for the general bugs to be worked out.

I'm happy with what I've got now though, so it'll be awhile yet. My new computer won't have it either as the computer guy refuses to sell it. LOL!
Xeniczone
Quote:
Unless you are a hardcore gamer, actually 512 mb of RAM is enuff to run Vista. I am doing it now, with Aero + transparency enabled. Haven't encountered any major issues yet.


wow 512mbs of ram for vista. yeah what a lag. Vista offers nothing for anybody except a new look and a annoying security system. Then it sucks the heck out of someones computer.

Hence the word major issue yet. Vista ran like crap on my computer and the advantage it offered to games, well it doesn't. It just requires gamers to get better computer so they can run their games at the same level they did on XP.

Features well about the same features at Mac OS X except Mac runs fine on a G3 450mhz cpu and Vista runs fine on a Pentium 4 3.0ghz cpu.
jynxanims
Personally, I don't know why everyone is going out to get Vista. Its so buggy and needs to be worked on. I'm fine with XP and besides, alot of amateur coders are already designing all of the features that Vista has for XP. After a year, maybe two goes by, then I'll look into Vista, when it's not so, ya know, buggy....
Xeniczone
I bought vista a week after it came out and it already had 8 patches ready for me after I installed it from windows update.
dalewazhere
I use Windows Vista and it works just fine. I'd rather have Windows XP though, because it runs crisper. But it's just me.
nhuabo
I use Windows XP now on my computer,one reason is it can't run well with vista.I think vista is not a bad OS.I think it should be better than XP.
What I care about is the Win32 API,I don't know if it still supported by Vista.Or most program running well on Xp will not work on Vista.
I have heard that the API had changed,But I don't know exactly.
why6487
nigam wrote:
Which OS in your PC you want to use Windows XP or Windows Vista? Why?


I may use Vista on my Mac. I know it's going to work OK since I'll use Boot Camp to dual boot my Leopard with Vista.
davo
Guys i have a simple solution... why dont you just use a simple vista transformation pack...it has the same basic look as ultimate and the gui is so simmilar i made my freinds think it was vista so if you want the link for the download is here >>> http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=17682 it is for the latest one out. enjoy
Flexx-D
My opinion is Vista and XP are the same on the safety and functions, but Vista has got better graphics and looks better.. Thats why I think vista is just something better.. Like the 3d windows on Vista, and the styles.. They're not bad at all!
takashiro
I prefer Windows XP to Windows Vista. I think I will prefer Vista 1 or 2 years later. Now many programs can not run very well in Vista. What's more, Vista is so expensive that I do not think I can afford it. And Vista need 1GB memory card.
I will not use Vista until it costs lower price. Smile
Flakky
turbowolf wrote:
more than 90% windows games can't run on Vista.

I played over 30 games and 2 had a malfunction. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness needed a patch and Hero Online needed to be reinstalled.

Quote:
A lot of website can't display correctly in IE7.

We got Firefox right?

When you are going to buy a new computer, make it come with Vista since people are overreacting with the new OS and are scared for their privacy. Everything runs normal but better. Almost every program works and if the program doesn't, a patch will appear. I discovered 2 disadvantages:
1. UAC (can be disabled)
2. Defragmentation does not show a handy bar to visualize the fragmentation of your harddrive (use better defragmentation software to make things better).

I would also take this moment to say that Vista can go from hybernation mode into normal in less than 3 seconds and booting up will take less than 20 seconds.

Quote:
Guys i have a simple solution... why dont you just use a simple vista transformation pack...

Vista uses hardware acceleration which does not always comes with an XP OEM computer, which means massive slowdowns and a less impressive effect.

Quote:
What I care about is the Win32 API,I don't know if it still supported by Vista.Or most program running well on Xp will not work on Vista.

I ran some tests with Vista and XP to compare code I written myself to check the effects of the Win32 API on the OS's but noticed visual difference which was better on Vista.

Do not listen to others whom are talking about incompatibility since there is barely something to worry about. Buy a Vista now because this will increase your productivity anyway. Most printer drivers are also in Vista by standard, which means plug and play printers.

Need more reasons or having more questions? Ask Smile
infobankr
Ha! I saw the subject of this thread and I had to chime in and say that of all the Windows OS's, Windows 2000 is my favorite. Too bad they don't make it or support it anymore. Sad

Besides that, I like linux, *bsd, and osx better than any windows!
Bockman
infobankr wrote:
Ha! I saw the subject of this thread and I had to chime in and say that of all the Windows OS's, Windows 2000 is my favorite. Too bad they don't make it or support it anymore. Sad

Besides that, I like linux, *bsd, and osx better than any windows!


If you saw the subject of this thread, you could have tried and read it. Windows XP Vs Windows Vista related thread. Not Windows 2000 or linux related thread.

Please keep this on topic.

Be Well Cool
BrookfieldPC
Windows Vista is a great operating system. The only flaws it has is that it's a bit advanced for what's out there right now. DirectX 10 is going to revolutionize gaming for the PC, especially when Crysis comes out. DirectX 10 will never be available for Windows XP or previous operating systems. I'm running Vista right now and haven't run into many problems at all. There's usually ways to get around problems and most games provide a patch that will upgrade the game to work with Vista. To be quite honest, all the problems with Vista isn't "just" Microsoft's fault...but of the hardware manufacturers and software manufacturers who failed to work with Microsoft to ensure compatibility with their products. A working version of the Vista framework was available almost 9 months before it's release. Anyhoo, I estimate that Vista will be running on 60% of PCs by March 2008...and those still running XP will begin to be falling through quicksand. Vista has so much to offer, we just have to wait for the consumers and manufacturers to catch up with Microsoft.
Flakky
BrookfieldPC wrote:
Windows Vista is a great operating system. The only flaws it has is that it's a bit advanced for what's out there right now. DirectX 10 is going to revolutionize gaming for the PC, especially when Crysis comes out.

The revolution is already here since the Unreal Engine 3. In my oppinion DX10 is almost thesame as DX9c if you can use it wisely.

Quote:
I'm running Vista right now and haven't run into many problems at all. There's usually ways to get around problems and most games provide a patch that will upgrade the game to work with Vista.

People ofter misunderstand this so this proves that I am not the only one who says this is true.

[quote]To be quite honest, all the problems with Vista isn't "just" Microsoft's fault...but of the hardware manufacturers and software manufacturers who failed to work with Microsoft to ensure compatibility with their products.[quote]
You can also blame MS for making an OS which is incompatible so the problem lays with both.

It is just a matter of time.
wwfordark
i think dont need vista. Xp is enough but not well enough. im using 2 execution system, Linux & XP. its very smarty. im playing my games with windows xp. im using linux for internet surfing, listening and more.. have to try :=))
The-Nisk
god help whoever bought the new Windows Vista!! Laughing
I hoped Microsoft learned from their mistakes,
but boy was I wrong!!!
Indyan
Thanks to UAC using vista is really annoying. I also dont like the vista start menu a lot. Even performance wise vista doesnt provide any major boost. For the moment I am sticking to Windows XP.
TheGeek
I'm still sticking with my old favorite of XP where I must use windows....

Can you guess my OS?
J-Evil
I'll be sticking with XP on my desktop computer. Upgrading to Vista is un-necessary
skipz
XP Pro is the best. I love it. I did have Vista Ultimate and it sucked beside the fact that I have only 512 RAM haha. Laughing I don't think I will ever get rid of XP well not until I can run Vista Ultimate after the kinks are worked out of it.
cavus
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate but Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 is better than Vista. Because Vista has too much error and I am waiting for first Service Pack. It will be at October.
Flakky
@The-Nisk:
Reasons mate, what are your reasons?

@Indyan:
You can turn that off Wink

@cavus:
I did not noticed many error or more errors compared to XP
jenice
My conspiracy theorist has come out to play with recent news from a blurb at Slashdot that some Vista users may experience connections from the Department of Defense and other government facilities in their network logs.

Makes me wonder just what other reasons for releasing Vista there are besides upgraded OS.
bulek
I still use Windows XP PRO SP2, because many programs still don't work on Vista and I my computer is also not fast enough to run games under Vista. I will probably install it after I buy a new computer, which will be on December.
cvkien
i'm using vista. for me, if your computer had the quality for windows vista, then i think you should try it. other wise you really waste it. it just like a person who had great body, then he or she might wear something different than other people or something more pretty to show up they had the quality.
kansloos
I found this very interesting article about Vista
http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista

further reading:
http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/analysis-of-microsofts-suicide-note-part-1
http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/analysis-of-microsoft-s-suicide-note-part-2

Vista is definately not that much better, for example WinXP in faster in most tasks.
and people with a little bit of knowledge have WinXP secured well so that isn't the big issue either. Though support for drivers & graphical is another thing Vista shit lacks in.

I'm definately not upgrading.
Arno v. Lumig
<3 IceWM.

I don't think the links you gave are really objective though. You might aswell link to www.microsoft.com to "prove" that Vista rocks...

A site dedicated to telling that Vista sucks (Which it does, I know, I've used it) is likely to exaggerate a bit, and "forget" to mention some other facts. Same goes for microsoft.com, which is obviously also forgetting some facts, and exaggerating some others...

I like how Vista looks, it's really slick and most animations etc go pretty smooth, but everything looks so unresponsive! (I tested it on a brand-new Acer laptop with dual core 1,8GHz, 1024GB ram and some ATI graphics card I don't remember)
coreymanshack
I was excited about vista, I installed it, learned how to use it. This is what I came up with. (The same programs were installed and running during this test)

Vista

Memory Usage On Idle >= 512MB

XP

Memory Usage On Idle >= 190MB


Vista

CPU Usage On Idle >= 5%

XP

CPU Usage On Idle >= 1%


I'm not here to complain about the vista GUI, it was very friendly, but even with these specs...


Pentium D @ 2.66GHZ HT 2MB Cache 533 FSB

DDR2 667 2GB

SATA 3 GB/s

Vista was noticably slower.

I think we need to wait until we have more applications to utilize what vista was ment for.
If I'm not mistaken vista as ment to break up program's into threads where more than 1 processor could do work at the same time.

So I think until we have 6-8 core processors, vista will just not suffice :*(


Another thing I ran into, was alot of my new hardware that I bought would not work with vista because of driver issues. So until manufacturers start building drivers for win vista, you're sol on their products!

And here is a link where someone tested thoroughly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/
{name here}
I would rather go with XP, but if I had the chance I'd go to 2004 server or 2000 because I don't want all that theming, effect, and useless firewall junk that XP has. I've tried Vista on a laptop - it's a pain in the arse to use Aero because they changed everything from directory layout to the start menu. It irriates me because they completely shoot down the decent directory system that existed in the previous incarnations of the NT series, and to some extent the 9x series. I actually like the simple interface that existed before with the option to revert to the single column start menu and all that stuff. There isn't a single thing I like about it. I'd even put Slackware ahead of Vista, and I don't like Slackware because it's a total cluster ****** to try and get Wireless networking to work.
turbosquid
I tried the public beta2 of Vista, ok so it looks pretty but it does more or less the same thing as XP, To me it just seems another pointless and expensive upgrade. I have since used a vista machine of my friends and i was not impressed one bit, it spent most of it's time hanging up and refusing to install things that we wanted to install. I think i'll stick with my linux laptop Smile at least i know it works and never gives me a BSOD Wink

TurboSquid
dmystic
I keep at XP until blackbomb(vista follow up) arrives, or the support for xp fades and there comes too much virusses, or when vista becomes better, some of the problems of vista are:

games are slower
some games arent supported
directsound3d is crap in vista

this are only 3 of them, and non explained, becouse if i would say all things, and split it up in posts of 5points a post, and 20posts a day, then i would be busy 10days, and having 1000points.... but probably that is scamming(dunno the right word for it) and im not going to type that much text.... too much time...
albusa
yesterday my sister bought a laptop with windows vista, and i wanted to install some programs to it, but from 10 software that i wanted to install only 4 could, the webcam, the printer, even my scanner are not supported by windows vista, this is a shame because the new systems are supposed tu support all the software from the beggining untill the last OS, support from the more recent digital finger print detector, untill the oldest matrix printer.
WINDOWS VISTA IS ONLY USELESS GRAPHICS.
If you are impressed only by the AERO efect, or by the Flip3D, there is a lot of those effects for windows xp. just download it
Arno v. Lumig
albusa wrote:
yesterday my sister bought a laptop with windows vista, and i wanted to install some programs to it, but from 10 software that i wanted to install only 4 could, the webcam, the printer, even my scanner are not supported by windows vista, this is a shame because the new systems are supposed tu support all the software from the beggining untill the last OS, support from the more recent digital finger print detector, untill the oldest matrix printer.
WINDOWS VISTA IS ONLY USELESS GRAPHICS.
If you are impressed only by the AERO efect, or by the Flip3D, there is a lot of those effects for windows xp. just download it


That's really the problem with you guys, you expect Vista to have support for all hardware out there, and then complain that it needs 8GB for a simple installation (I'm not sure if 8GB is actually correct, but I know it's rather much)
dmystic
I have rather an 50GB OS without bugs, what is very fast, have support for all hardware and software, is extremely flexible, very hack-proof and stable, then a 1kb OS with bugs, no good support for many hardware, very much software problems and with crashes every hour...

the first option dont exist yet, the second option is nearly winVista, except that the 1kb must be much more...




btw, i heard someone say that WinVista ultimate is about 50GB large.... is that right?
coreymanshack
dmystic wrote:
I have rather an 50GB OS without bugs, what is very fast, have support for all hardware and software, is extremely flexible, very hack-proof and stable, then a 1kb OS with bugs, no good support for many hardware, very much software problems and with crashes every hour...

the first option dont exist yet, the second option is nearly winVista, except that the 1kb must be much more...




btw, i heard someone say that WinVista ultimate is about 50GB large.... is that right?


no winvista ultimate is not 50gb.
coreymanshack
TheGeek wrote:
I'm still sticking with my old favorite of XP where I must use windows....

Can you guess my OS?


Yea i can guess it, I installed a brico pack on my xp a while back but didn't really like it, beacuse it wasn't actually the same as vista aero...

i can spot atleast one flaw in it from your screenshot. the little start button is supposed to be round, your's is squared off.
WinGate
I am using and i will use Windows XP because i think it's much better that Vista because games and application are working much easyer on WinXP and it does not need many resources.
After instalation my WinXP is using 128MB RAM and CPU 0%.
Vista need lot of system resources and a minimum of 1GB RAM... at least this sayed some specialists from microsoft.
I think that Windows XP Will be much better... because in 2008 Microsoft will release the "Service pack 3" for Windows XP which has many BUGS repaired and offeres us much more security and will be much stable than Vista.
About older Windows OS's... i don't think we have to speak about them because noone uses them anymore. In this moment i think that most used OS's are Windows XP, Windows 2003/Server and Vista (excepting Linux/unix Smile )
Mannix
Wow,

Well, IMHO, Vista is the only option. XP, like Windows 98SE (in its time) has been a very good, reasonably stable OS. (Compared to 95, ME, etc.) ...XP is great. If it's working for you, I'd keep it.

...But on the flip-side, XP will someday, as 98SE is today, become unsupported and obsolete. ...Which is bad and well... ...Really a bummer if you're inlove with an OS when Microsoft disowns it.

Vista will be the future. ...And many-a-OS will follow. New machines should be running Vista. ...Soon if not already... ...Otherwise, you'll get left behind along with the 5.25" floppies.

...Don't get left there... Wink
WinGate
Mannix i agree with you... in onw day Windows XP will become unsupported and obsolet because technology & software are advanceing... but i think that Windows XP will stay UP in fron of VISTA a verry long time. Because of that ServicePack 3 it will be used by many people.Microsoft sayed that SP3 willl have many updates and bugs fixed.
And... in case that Windows Xp (as you sayed) will become unsupported and obsolet and it's time will be finished Smile ... i think that i will prefer to wait another OS to appear instead of using Vista.
And solution is: If windows XP time will end... i'll use Linux.. but i'll never chose Vista Cool

PS. Sorry for my bad english & gramatical mistakes
coreymanshack
Vista has nothing to offer that would make xp obsolete? How can you say that?
WinGate
coreymanshack wrote:
Vista has nothing to offer that would make xp obsolete? How can you say that?


coreymanshack for the moment it doesn't make XP obsolete. But think a bit to the future.
For ex: can you say that after another 10 years would you still use Windows XP ?
I think not.
But who knows... maybe after few years Microsoft will release other Windows Model/version.
And i still think/hope that SP3 will bring many updates to WindowsXP that will make it to stay in TOP a loger time.
But as you sayed Vista has nothing to offer... and that's why many people does not like Vista. And if Microsoft don't do nothing... they will lose verry much money... because Vista won't bring any profits.

--> And as i sayed at a previous post... I will always chose something else instead of Vista. Very Happy
coreymanshack
WinGate wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Vista has nothing to offer that would make xp obsolete? How can you say that?


coreymanshack for the moment it doesn't make XP obsolete. But think a bit to the future.
For ex: can you say that after another 10 years would you still use Windows XP ?
I think not.
But who knows... maybe after few years Microsoft will release other Windows Model/version.
And i still think/hope that SP3 will bring many updates to WindowsXP that will make it to stay in TOP a loger time.
But as you sayed Vista has nothing to offer... and that's why many people does not like Vista. And if Microsoft don't do nothing... they will lose verry much money... because Vista won't bring any profits.

--> And as i sayed at a previous post... I will always chose something else instead of Vista. Very Happy


Your probably right, 10 years from now I probably wont be using xp, microsoft will have made a product with new features by then, but until then, I'm sticking with xp Very Happy
tahoestyle
Until they release a new service pack...I have both OS and I have turned on my machine with vista maybe 4 times since the laptop was bought 6 months ago - I still use XP, will continue to use xp and here are some things I took into consideration and why I will be sticking with XP, for now and awhile:

A while back I posted some info on my blog regarding upgrading to vista or not...here it is, the complete article can be read here


Quote:
Windows Vista Cons

* 1 GB RAM recommended minimum - 2 GB of memory will be required if you are a power user. Vista drivers are hit and miss - Most laptops and many peripherals do not have full Vista support, and very few have 64-bit signed Vista drivers.
* 64-bit Vista requires signed drivers - This means that you won’t be able to install any community-developed drivers, and it also means any old hardware you have by no-name manufacturers probably won’t ever work in 64-bit Vista. Don’t be surprised if you have to buy some new hardware
to make this leap. (F8 on startup can disable this requirement, but it has to be pressed EVERY time on bootup. Alternatively, authenticode can be used to sign unsigned drivers).
* OEM Vista copies are either 32-bit or 64-bit - If you decide later you want to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, or vice versa, you’ll have to buy a new copy of Vista.
* Upgrades from XP to Vista invalidate the XP copy - Once you upgrade to Windows Vista, your copy of XP can’t be used legally any more. If you upgrade an OEM copy of XP, your Vista license will be OEM rather than full retail.
* Vista Upgrades have to be installed twice - You either have to install XP or 2000 and then install Vista upgrade, or you have to install Vista trial edition and then install Vista upgrade over the top of
the trial edition. This means re-installations will take twice as long. (link)
* OEM Vista can only be reactivated once after a major hardware change -
After that, you’ll have to buy another copy of Vista. This shouldn’t affect laptop users too much, but desktop users ought to be aware of this fact. It’s safe to figure you’re going to end up buying multiple copies of Vista before it reaches the end of its life.
* Vista requires an HDCP monitor to be connected to view protected high definition video content.
* Vista’s DRM is capable of completely locking out users from video, audio, or other data they’ve purchased. Non-ACPI laptops should not run Vista - Vista does not
support Advanced Power Management (APM).
* Game performance is reduced - Tom’s Hardware reports somewhat slower game performance, depending on the game.

Windows XP Pros

* It just works - You don’t have to worry about anything. XP has been working for ages, and it works just fine.
* Better value - In order to get all the features of Windows XP Professional, you have to pay more for Windows Vista Ultimate. In order to get all the features of XP Home, you have to get Vista Home Premium.
* Smaller and Faster than Vista - Unless you disable Vista’s GUI features, XP is snappier on the same hardware. XP also requires less memory and hard drive space. Most games are also currently faster,
and may stay that way. (link)
* Fewer hassles - No DRM, no signed 64-bit driver requirements, no worries on reactivations after switching XP installations to different computers, none of the Vista upgrade mess.
* XP 64-bit version is effectively free - While the drivers may still not be there, at least you don’t have to pay double for XP’s 64-bit version when upgrading from 32-bits.
dmystic
Mannix wrote:
Wow,

Well, IMHO, Vista is the only option. XP, like Windows 98SE (in its time) has been a very good, reasonably stable OS. (Compared to 95, ME, etc.) ...XP is great. If it's working for you, I'd keep it.

...But on the flip-side, XP will someday, as 98SE is today, become unsupported and obsolete. ...Which is bad and well... ...Really a bummer if you're inlove with an OS when Microsoft disowns it.

Vista will be the future. ...And many-a-OS will follow. New machines should be running Vista. ...Soon if not already... ...Otherwise, you'll get left behind along with the 5.25" floppies.

...Don't get left there... Wink


Ehhh, you are probably talking about the business versions of vista (professional - enterprise) because the support for WinXP (both pro and home) will last longer then the home editions (home premium, ultimate, starter and the 1 i forgotten the name of, home basic or something like that.) so if you buy vista for the support, you are probably not very happy...

Some explanation:
Microsoft sees the launchdate of SP2 as the release date of WinXP becouse of the new things that are in it. Microsoft got 5 years normal support (SP's and updates/patches) and 5 years extended support(only security patches) but the 5 year extended isnt for the home editions, but XP has given a special status, so also the home edition got those 5 years extended, so XP last longer than the non-enterprise editions.
DarkAkira
TheGeek wrote:
I'm still sticking with my old favorite of XP where I must use windows....

Can you guess my OS?


The answer is linux. Nice job on it though.
©Wolfie
XP is better than Vista. That's clear for me.

Vista may be better in the future, but not now.

Service Pack 3 will be a great improvement for XP! A faster OS! Great.
... By the way, I like XP but Ubuntu 7.10 is better. The only point is that I've trouble with my wireless internet, and a wired connection isn't possible...
anilerk
i use XP.
and i dont think vista is necessary.
it tires the system too much.

unnecessary visuality.
XP ise better than vista.
ssthanapati
well i didnt have an option. It came bundled with my notebook.

But not having any major problems as much it was hyped
Crom
I use Vista for a little time period but I think to go back to XP.
Vista slow my PC.
fadirocks
i hate new Wireless control and network setup such a pain in the butt also inaccurate. on my friend's Vista the network always show Good Signal wherever you go!
On my windows XP signal strength meter actually works Smile also it pissed me off just trying to find setup for APs priority
I hate VISTA
thefeast
XP is faster.
XP is customizeable
More programs are compatible.
My Computer is XP and is fast with a cheap processor and 512mb ddr2 memory.
kansloos
My motto, Stick to that what works, until it doesn't...
bulek
Many people only heard that vista sux and now they post that everywhere. But the truth is that they haven't tested it yet. I work in both OS's, so in Windows and Vista. Vista is getting better and better. Many bugs have been fixed and SP1 made it even better. It works slightly faster now, but I agree, that 2gb of memory is somehow minimum if you want to use Aero interface, which is great by the way. The only thing I dislike are security windows which appear for every bigger change, but I'm sure that it will be possible to disable them.
Boffel
XP: = 3 points
Faster
More clean
Less warnings

Vista: = 4 points
More secure
Better searcher
Cooler layout
Much better control panel

I will update if I find some more stuff...
aldhydany
you know !!!!!!!!!! because I'm now using windows xp ..........

You know why I'm using Xp .......

First:

because light ................

second:

not heavy ..................

Third:

simple ................


Fourth:

uncomplicated .................





now you know why I chose to use Xp .................


Just Enjoy .................


Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ankur209
No doubt XP reign the world of Computing for 7-8 years.and i bet no other OS can beat what XP had.
Vista was simply a failure.

So XP wins.... Razz
bjornhoogeveen
Win XP vs Vista, win XP wins,
win XP vs Win 7, win 7 wins
win 7 vs win 8... we have to see Smile
newage34
xp for performance Smile
vista for visual Smile
uchejohn
My operating system is windows xp. I prefer windows xp than windows vista because i like the operating system. I believe windows vista is only better than xp when it comes to display or graphics.
socials
Between Windows vista and Xp. Will say Xp is better and faster. One of my friends have vista. But my pc boot fast and load faster than his laptop. And his laptop is newer than my laptop.
pioneer987
nigam wrote:
Which OS in your PC you want to use Windows XP or Windows Vista? Why?


When I bought my laptop, factory installed OS was Vista, the first thing I did after unboxing my laptop?
It was reinstalling OS. Not Windows XP, but to W7. I would have used windows XP, but I found it complicated to install windows xp, because it was giving me errors, which I could not fix. Smile
Blummer
I still prefer xp over vista.. Vista isn't so optimized, it was really a mistake - but still a predecessor of Win7. Anyway, Vista to me is like Windows ME edition, which appeared after win 98.
blazy
xp! vista is lagging too much
Chellesei
If I'm not mistaken, my computer's original OS was Windows Vista. But it seems like the staff or worker from the shop where we bought my computer changed the OS to XP. My dad had no problem with it since he prefers XP than Vista. He says that Vista is buggy.

My youngest sister uses a laptop with Windows Vista as its OS. I've observed that it's kinda slow. My laptop, which has a lower RAM and older processor, runs XP but it performs and boots faster.

But Vista's GUI is pretty good. Smile I admit that I like it. (But Windows 7 beats it Laughing ). I think that's the best reason why I like Vista. Cool
mukesh
no any compare between Windows XP and Vista because Xp is super Hit and Vista is super flop OS. Very Happy
jdelfire
Microsoft OS alternative names

Windows 98se =
Quote:
Windows 98 Simple Errors

Windows ME =
Quote:
Windows Mistaken Edition or Windows Many Errors

Windows XP =
Quote:
Xtra Problems

Windows VISTA =
Quote:
Very Impossible System to Andrestand


Anderstand is not a typo that's the reason it can't be understood why it was built in the first place...


in short I'll go XP
Tuvitor
Windows Vista is like a crappy beta of Windows 7, IMO. :p
Related topics
Microsoft set to test security software
Windows XP on an Intel Mac
New Windows XP/Vista Stickers Showing Up
Windows 64 VS Windows 32
Windows XP vs Mac OS X
Windows XP ofrece mejor rendimiento que el nuevo Vista
Windows XP or Vista
Para dar paso a Vista WINDOWS XP FUERA EN 2008
[news] Microsoft confirma el SP3 para Windows XP
Windows XP Vs. Vista
Windows XP'nin perakende satýþý durduruldu
Microsoft Pledges Windows XP Support Through 2014
VISTA VS. XP
Windows 7 is Better than XP and Vista??
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.