FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What can be the best windows on my low system?

k10000s
I have old laptop (P 500Mhz, 128 Ram memory) . It is installed windows 2000. I will change bigger hard disk (now it has 12GB, new harddrive will be 28GB). Which windows system would be best? 2000? 2003? xp home? xp pro?

And there is one more problem to replace new harddisk. This one does not support usb devices. So it means that I need to make new harddisk boot Dos. I make newhard two partitions(15G & lest of it). I want to install windows on 15G partition. But I don't know how to make it boot with Dos. Does anyone know how to do it?
golles
I ran win xp pro on on a P 448Mhz, it worked, but was realy slow, I would advise windows 2000.

I don't understand you problem, but you can try a bootable floppy, any windows cd's after windows 95 boot by thereselves.
k10000s
Thanks, golles.

golles wrote:

I don't understand you problem, but you can try a bootable floppy, any windows cd's after windows 95 boot by thereselves.

I don't have FDD. I made the new harddisk boot in DOS and tried to install win2000 by running "winnt.exe" file in I386 folder. However, I got an error message, "NTLDR is missing" at the first reboot in the process of installing windows 2000. I don't know how to fix it. I found that it can be happened when one physical harddisk has more than two partition on my old laptop model. So I will try to reinstall with one partition.
DrZero
I think that winnt.exe is the executable used to boot the system, that's why it is looking for NTLDR (the Windows NT/2000/XP boot loader). Do you have the Windows 2000 installation CD still? That is what you need to make a new install.

If you want to move your data over, that might be trickier. Perhaps someone else knows more about migrating Windows partitions.
cheeta
Well Modified version of Windows XP Pro at any time...

u just play with the service manager, turn off all graphics/system hungry services...

thats it...

u will get great performance... as with XP its great on mobile systems... as save power and lots of stuff...
corey
I guess that if you want to use Windows, then the best choice is what you've already paid for. If the copy that's on it now is the one that came with it, write down the product key before you replace the drive.
k10000s
I tried to reinstall with one partition. But I got same error massage, "NTLDR is missing", before. Now, I don't have any idea how to change my HDD... As I said that my laptop(Compaq Amada M300) does not support USB booting. My new HDD is Fujitsu 30G. Is anyone know the solution??
greatfire
i recommend 98. Faster then xp on slower systems and better then 2000.I use it on my 400Mhz mendocino machine.
k10000s
I know that win98 would be lighter than other upper version of windows, but Microsoft stop updating win98 patches as I know. So I am a little bit worry about some problems which might happen when I use the Internet with this computer.
pll
Forget to run XP with 128 RAM memory or add some.
I had 256 running with XP and it was really SLOW !
cheeta
may be u think of installing a linux based OS...

that wont be bad idea at all...

Very Happy
Studio Madcrow
Realistically, a computer like that option has 3 windows-based options. The one you choose should be based on what you plan to do with the machine

1. Windows 98 SE: Not the most stable thing in the world, but reasonable. Almost all hardware will work with it (although high end stuff made within the last year or so will probably lack drivers) This set up what you should use if you intend to play any games older than 1999-2000, especially if they're DOS-based.

2. Windows NT 4: Less hardware support than Win98SE, but more stable and less-resource hungry. This sucks for gaming as the newest version of DirectX you can use is DirectX 5, but if you just want to edit documents and surf the web, this is good stuff.

3. Windows 2000. Generally the best all-around OS, and my reccomendation, especially if you move up to 256MB of RAM and don't intend on playing any games for DOS.

With all that said, I feel that Linux would be a better option. Even on my p3 866/256mb crapbox, I get better performance with OpenSUSE 10.2's attractive modern KDE environment than I get in the rather outdated Win2000 environment.
Xeniczone
I had Windows XP running great on a

Pentium 2 450mhz
256mbs ram
30gig hard drive
ATI Radion 9200SE

You can run a normal retail version on your computer fine it may help to have a graphic card that is good like the ATI Radion I had and at least 512mbs of ram.

Unfortunitly you will only be able to run Windows XP. I highly dought you will get anything out of Windows Vista on that machine.
Bones
My vote would be for Win 2000. It should get better performance on that system that XP would without tweaking, and most games and apps will run on it with no problems.
k10000s
Thanks for everyone who replied this topic. I will install windows 2000 and Linux in my system until I get a new ram (might be 256MB or 512MB, it depends on my pocket money at that time Very Happy ).

Actually I failed to install windows 2000 on this system after I changed hard disk. However, I don't give up to try again. So I will try to install windows 2000 and Linux on this system. I did not decide which linux will install yet.

After I successfully install my system, I will post and close this topic.

Thanks again~
reddishblue
k10000s wrote:
I will post and close this topic.

And how will you be doing that?
turbowolf
Could you find or borrow a USB CD rom? I think that is the easiest way to do it.

k10000s wrote:
I have old laptop (P 500Mhz, 128 Ram memory) . It is installed windows 2000. I will change bigger hard disk (now it has 12GB, new harddrive will be 28GB). Which windows system would be best? 2000? 2003? xp home? xp pro?

And there is one more problem to replace new harddisk. This one does not support usb devices. So it means that I need to make new harddisk boot Dos. I make newhard two partitions(15G & lest of it). I want to install windows on 15G partition. But I don't know how to make it boot with Dos. Does anyone know how to do it?
Bones
k10000s wrote:
I did not decide which linux will install yet.

Personally, I prefer Suse for a linux distro. Ubuntu is also popular but I prefer KDE to Gnome (Gnome is just really ugly IMO).
Also tried Kubuntu (Ubuntu with a KDE desktop) but the distro I tried had mucho problems with PPPoE connections.
k10000s
reddishblue wrote:
k10000s wrote:
I will post and close this topic.

And how will you be doing that?

I thought that I can lock this topic Smile But I can't...
So I will post only...^^;

To turbowolf, I have USB-CDROM and know how to do it. But the problem is that my laptop do not support usb device booting... Crying or Very sad
kansloos
Windows 2003 eXPerience

The best but it's illegal or a few thousand dollars to buy.

More Ontopic:

KDE is kind of a resource hog and I wouldn't recommend it.
My preferred Distro is Fedora Core, it has a huge precompiled software database. I like it when apps are only 2 clicks away
reactive
As others have suggested you might wanna consider installing a linux distro, I've seen many users proud with their old boxes running linux plus it'll be much faster & safer than any of those Windows versions.