FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgrading Norton Ghost 9.0 to Save & Restore

Tony The Tiger
I am preparing for the arrival of a new laptop next week. I will be going from a Jan 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 with a 40 GB Internal Hard Drive to a HP dv9000t with dual 120 GB internal Hard drives. Right now I am using an 320 GB external to store about 105 GB of files (2/3rds of which are .mp3s for my ipod). I am also using a 750 GB external for backing up. I have been using Norton Ghost 9.0. I finally upgraded to Norton Save & Restore (Ghost 11.0).

I have discovered several things:

1. The default compression level backup takes up the same amout of space. (about 20% compression on internal drives and almost no compression on external drives).
2. Internal system drives back up over 50% faster (1112 MB/Min vs between 624-724) .
3. External drives back up about 15% faster (468 vs 323-394).
4. However, I attempted to partition my internal hard drive. I have discovered that the nonsystem partition backs up slower than both the internal system partition and the external hard drive (287).

Why is the non system partition so much slower to back up? Is there anything I can do?
Tony The Tiger
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I am preparing for the arrival of a new laptop next week. I will be going from a Jan 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 with a 40 GB Internal Hard Drive to a HP dv9000t with dual 120 GB internal Hard drives. Right now I am using an 320 GB external to store about 105 GB of files (2/3rds of which are .mp3s for my ipod). I am also using a 750 GB external for backing up. I have been using Norton Ghost 9.0. I finally upgraded to Norton Save & Restore (Ghost 11.0).

I have discovered several things:

1. The default compression level backup takes up the same amout of space. (about 20% compression on internal drives and almost no compression on external drives).
2. Internal system drives back up over 50% faster (1112 MB/Min vs between 624-724) .
3. External drives back up about 15% faster (468 vs 323-394).
4. However, I attempted to partition my internal hard drive. I have discovered that the nonsystem partition backs up slower than both the internal system partition and the external hard drive (287).

Why is the non system partition so much slower to back up? Is there anything I can do?

I have noticed that my computer runs really slowly for the first 2 or 3 days after a hard drive reformat. I assume Windows is using a lot of resources looking for updates. My backup times last night were much different.

1. The internal system drive is about twice as fast in as before (backed up over 1300MB/Min).
2. External HD still in the 460s.
3. The internal non-system drive backed up about (724 MB/min) rather thant 287 as reported two nights before.

I may not be measuring backup times correctly, I am basing rates on source drive. However, if I look at image sizes the results are different because the internal system drive compressed at 39.4% reduction on the 13th and at 47.9% reduction on the 15th after moving My Documents to the internal non system drive. Meanwhile the internal non system drive only had 8.4% compression. The external drive is only getting 2.1% compression.

Looking at backup images the internal system drive and internal non-sytem drive both backed up at about the same rate. (681.2 MB/min vs. 662.Cool. However, the difference is spurious due to significant figures (one part took 7 minutes to backup and the other took 21). Both were much faster than the external drive which backed up at 451.7 MB/min.
myrevolt
I kept putting off buying Ghost, I will have to do so when I have free time. For simply copying data to a new larger harddrive, I found that the Maxblast, the software that came with my most recent Maxtor drive worked fine, though it did take roughly an hour to transfer. I've been using the GParted Live cd quite a bit lately and copying individual partitions may be something you are interested in. I have 22 partitions, however, I don't recommend you create nearly as many; you may want to break up your data a bit. It seems to me to sound that you do indeed keep your Windows root partition separate from your data, which is the only way I am aware that work because XP locks in the hardware configuration. If incremental backups sound like the missing piece in your setup, I recommend rsync (you can have one computer running a linux distro such as ubuntu and the other running Windows using cygwin). I'm not sure what you strategy is - you have several options in my opinion, and you may want to implement a little of everything: RAID 0 config with the harddrives will allow you to have a backup of the data in case one dies. Use Ghost to burn DVD backups. You rsync to run incremental backups. Put the spare harddrives in a NAS. Good luck and hopefully you won't experience data loss anytime soon.

P.S. You may want to install a fresh-install of Windows on one of those hard-drives; or simply clean up your existing one: step 1 delete all files in your temp
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
step2: lock-down (AVG [antivirus], zonealarm [firewall], a2 [antivirus], spyware blaster [preventer], spybot - search and destroy [remover], adaware [remover] step3: use codestuff starter to check your startup programs. I have a feeling most if not all of this has been review for you, but it couldn't hurt to double check.
Tony The Tiger
I have recieved my new HP Pavillion dv9000t with Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. It is not compatible with Norton Ghost Save & Restore. It has 2 120GB drives (111.7 after binary-decimal conversion). I have a total of just over 130 GB of data stored on it. I have a 750 GB external drive which I will use to keep copies of all installation files and my backups. I also have a 320 GB external drive which I will probably use to keep backups of my old 40GB laptop and the 105 GB of information that I use to store on it for a while. In a few months I may not keep all of these backups since I wont be using the old laptop.

Last night I tried the Windows Backup software. It took over 6 hours. I expect that Ghost would have taken about 2 hours on my new laptop. I may use Windows until Ghost 12.0 comes out or a patch is available for Save and Restore (11.0)