FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Man Charged After Shooting His Foot

Do you think it was wrong for this man to be fined?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

jay84h
Quote:
COMCAST.NET STRANGE NEWS

Tue Feb 13, 6:42 PM

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - Sheboygan County prosecutors hope to add imprisonment to injury. They charged a 31-year-old man Monday with being a felon in possession of a firearm after he shot himself in the foot Friday.

Patrick R. Hupf Jr. was cleaning the trigger of a .22-caliber rifle when it fired and hit him in the right foot, according to a criminal complaint. Hupf said the gun belonged to his father, the complaint said.

Hupf's father told police that his son forgot to check the chamber before cleaning the gun. He called 911 and had Hupf take to the hospital, police said.

Hupf faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000.

If this was an accident, then why would he be charged so heavily? I don't believe that this is right if he was oly cleaning a gun and it accidentally shot fire. Someone might murder another person and not even get fined as extensive as this, if you see what I mean. I don't think the fine should have been that severe at all.
defnet
I don't think that this is fair either,

It is just an accident. I don't see why he has to be punished so heavily.
Mannix
This man should ABSOLUTELY be charged, fined and arrested, as should his accessory.

This man is a felon. People are all worried about gun control. I'm not. What I'm worried about is guns in the hands of people who shouldn't have them. ...And this is exactly what this is. Both the dad and the son should go to jail. The right to bear arms is a sacred trust. ...And it has been disregarded (unsafely even) by these two.

I'm sorry, but... ...If the man has no business with a firearm, then that's the law.
jay84h
But what if this was a harmless accident. The gun belonged to his father and for all we know his father could have been a veteran in World War using the same gun. I mean come on, if it's an accident, then nothing should be done about that at all.
suntzu3500
It's still a technical violation of the law. He should get in trouble, but they shouldn't throw the book at him. They're not likely to, given the circumstances.

Keep in mind that those are the MAX sentences. People don't usually get max sentences.
xorcist
I think him getting shot in the foot is enough Punishment I mean come on next time hes really going to think about it when hes doing something with a gun and he can always look down at his foot and remember the day he shot himself in the foot.
Flakky
I have no clue what laws are in the US related to having a gun (I assume this is in the US but I am not sure). If firearms are legal, he should only pay for the doctors bill Wink
bangala
Well he is being charged for the possession of a firearm, not for the accident itself, which is fair as I guess. However, I don't think he is going to be punished so heavily!
Flakky
For the firearm! Ridicules for the fine!
HoboPelican
Some of you are not quite getting the point. The man was already a convicted felon. In this country, convicted felons are prohibited from being in possession of firearm. Not just owning them, but even holding them. This is something they are all quite aware off when they are released from prison. For a convicted felon, the simple act of picking up a firearm is considered a felony. As pointed out earlier, he most likely won't get the maximum sentence, but he absolutely deserves to go on trial and have his punishment determined in court.
Nameless
YES he deserves to be fined or thrown in jail. That he shot himself in the foot is entirely unrelated to the reason he was charged. He had a gun, when he should not have a gun. He clearly broke the law, so jail him. That he shot himself in the foot is merely icing on the cake - a bit of poetic justice to go with the legal. Smile
Mannix
jay84h wrote:
But what if this was a harmless accident. The gun belonged to his father and for all we know his father could have been a veteran in World War using the same gun. I mean come on, if it's an accident, then nothing should be done about that at all.

1: This was not a harmless accident. (Clearly.)

2: When it comes to breaking the law, the meritous acts you performed before you became a criminal are seldom accounted. Or do you believe those who are sworn to protect against threats (foreign and domestic) should receive unilateral impunity anyways? -- And in any case, "for all we know", we don't know him to be a veteran, and it rather stretches the facts at hand in an effort to substantiate your point. ...And I don't believe it does.
Mannix
Flakky wrote:
I have no clue what laws are in the US related to having a gun (I assume this is in the US but I am not sure). If firearms are legal, he should only pay for the doctors bill Wink

In the US. It's in Wisconsin, one of the 50 states in the great United States of America. Very Happy

http://www.wisconsin.gov/state/home/app?COMMAND=gov.wi.state.cpp.command.LoadPortalHome