FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Block ads. a problem?

Do you block ads on frihost?
Yes, I always block ads.
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but only here at frihost.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, It's not fair.
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
No, I don't know how to do.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Peterssidan
I have thinked about this ads on the forum. I have NoScript for firefox and I only allow script from sites I have to.
Here I can se that I am blocking script from chitika.net and google-analytics.com. This makes the forum very nice bacouse it will not show any ads at all. As far as I know frihost have there big income of money from the ads. Is this a problem for frihost.com and other sites with ads?
saratdear
As far as I know, YOU SHOULD NOT BLOCK THE ADS.
It is a part of the rules, I think. Frihost supports it self with ads and so blocking ads is probably not at all allowed.
Peterssidan
oh I can se that know when I take a look at the Rules. I found this:
Quote:
Posts advertising ad blockers (not popup blockers) are not allowed.

Even if its not allowed it may be used anyway. So is this still a problem?
reddishblue
I block, and yet I still do Frihost a favor, I post when I don't need too, I have no hosting account and yet I stay active.
Scorpio
The fact is that, as sarat said, adblockers are not allowed simply because frihost makes money only off these ads.

Frankly speaking, I hate text ads in google or any other company. I click only image ads if I am interested in them, because I find that text-ads are usually crap and would lead to some third rate site.

Though, bondings and the mods say that it is possible to find who are using adblockers, I dont think they have done anything about people using it
Animal
It is very easy for users to block the adverts on this site - we know that. I, personally, use an adblocker for general use of the internet. However, I have it set to allow ads on Frihost (amongst some other sites that I frequent) automatically because Frihost provides me with an excellent service, and I only think it's fair. It's very easy to set this up on just about any ad-blocking software.

Like scorpio said, Frihost makes money from advertising on the forum - this pays for your free hosting, and means that we don't have to put adverts on your site. All that we ask in return is for you to be fair and to not block the advertising. Even if you never click, there are various adverts that pay by the impression etc, so by using ad-blocking software on the forums you are preventing Frihost from making money.

It would be possible for us to check which users are blocking ads, although Bondings has said that we probably wouldn't do it unless it became a real problem. However from a personal point of view (removing my Moderator hat), I think that it should really be on your own conscience. By blocking the adverts on the forum and taking a free hosting account, you are not contributing anything for the excellent service you are receiving. Put yourself in Bondings' position: Imagine you set up a site that costs you a significant amount of money to operate each month, and a load of your users blocked ads, preventing you from making a return on that money. You wouldn't think it was fair, and it may cause you financial loss.

So all we ask is for you to be fair. Don't block the ads on Frihost and help us continue to fund your free hosting accounts.
Peterssidan
I turned off the block now. This is a good service so I want to suport you. But I still hate ads! If I allow this They will be allowed in other sites too =( Is there some way to unblock these things only on frih?
mantasx
Don't we kind of get free hosing?? And the point of posting here and spending time, it so that from time to time we click on adds!!! That's how frihost makes money, otherwise it wouldn't be free.
Bondings
I removed the thing about ad blockers not allowed while being active on Frihost from the TOS quite a while ago because I do not want to be that restrictive about ad blockers.

Ad blockers (blocking text ads and other unobtrusive ads, not popups) are destroying quite a bit of the 'free' internet, and the revenue stream that keeps it free. However, only a small part of the revenue on Frihost is coming from advertising to registered members; meaning it won't make much difference, if at all, and hence it's easier/better not to have such a tos rule.

For your information, I am planning (this might take a while though) to completely change the ads displayed to registered members. Most likely there will be way less (and different) ads, but on more visible places. I do agree there are too much ads displayed as of now.

Peterssidan, most ad blockers have the option for one or more sites.
Dougie1
Do you make a loss from this site Bondings or do you break even or even make a profit?

I don't block the ads, mainly cos I have gotten used to them and the odd one catches my attention so I click it.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
I removed the thing about ad blockers not allowed while being active on Frihost from the TOS quite a while ago because I do not want to be that restrictive about ad blockers.

Ad blockers (blocking text ads and other unobtrusive ads, not popups) are destroying quite a bit of the 'free' internet, and the revenue stream that keeps it free. However, only a small part of the revenue on Frihost is coming from advertising to registered members; meaning it won't make much difference, if at all, and hence it's easier/better not to have such a tos rule.

For your information, I am planning (this might take a while though) to completely change the ads displayed to registered members. Most likely there will be way less (and different) ads, but on more visible places. I do agree there are too much ads displayed as of now.

Peterssidan, most ad blockers have the option for one or more sites.

Is it possible for companies like google to keep changing the domain where the ads are served?

It would be through a PHP script that could connect to Google's servers and redirect you to a random domain (which contains the ads) This would destroy ad bockers completely as it would be an ever-changing TDL
Scorpio
One more thing Bondings, cant you get direct advertising at frihost. After all Frihost is a great site and is quite big. Advertising from individual advertisers would get you a lot of money as well.
Is there a reason why you are not doing that?
Ratmaster
I have been told this by several people now, but I don't think they will because they refuse to ask users for money...
But I've been wrong before.
garionw
Ratmaster wrote:
I have been told this by several people now, but I don't think they will because they refuse to ask users for money...
But I've been wrong before.

I'd pay $10 (AUD) per month to be advertise on these forums (or maybe 5 dollars for certain forums.
Ratmaster
Your best bet is to pm Bondings or someone else high up.
Marston
I'm pretty sure the ads are PPC anyways, so chances are if you're blocking them, you weren't going to click on them in the first place.
kaypep
You know, sometimes adblocking can be harmful to your PC - seriously.
Some programmes need cookies to load, for example MSN live web messenger? ( I think. )
Blocking ads ( or cookies ) sometimes might disrupt the programmes you're running. Try adjusting the settings to the correct level of suitability for your security programmes.

BUT - if you accidentally click on the harmful ads, then...

GOOD LUCK! :O