FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows XP and FTP Two problems – one answer?

Captain Fertile
I hope this is in the right section of the forum it seems to be the one that closest matched my problems, they seem to stem from the fact I use WIndows XP Home Edition on my PC

Problem 1
When I create the files for my website the graphics folders (I have several) contain the graphics plus each one has its own database file called Thumbs.db. Some of these database files are as large as 2mb+ and growing daily as I add images.

I suspect this is some feature Windows is automatically generating so that the files look pretty on my PC (so I can see thumbs of the actual picture). While this looks nice in windows and makes sorting through my files easier it just takes up valuable server space if I upload them, plus as the files get larger it takes longer to upload them.

As a side note, when I look in the file folders in Windows I see only the graphics files, the Thumbs.db file is invisible or hidden. But it is clearly there if I look in that folder using my FTP client (FileZilla).

If I try to delete the .db files while in my FTP client all the image files disappear from view (I know they are still on my PC) in the window showing my local drive so I have to go the trash and retrieve the .db file so that I can see what is in the folder using the local drive window (the left window pane in the FTP software).

Am I right my assumption of what these files are?

Is there any way to automatically prevent these thumbs being uploaded?

Problem 2
When I check the size of my website folder by looking at its ‘Properties’ in Windows I get two readings, eg.:

Size 6.14MB
And
Size on Disk: 26.7MB

What are these two results and why the huge difference in size?
Which one is the amount of server space that this folder will actually take up, the larger or the smaller?

SOuld my two problems both mbe realted to thoese darn .db file (although the size of the .db files does not match the vast difference in the two staed files sizes).

Is anyone able to answer these questions?

Thanks for reading.

Kind Regards
The Captain
askchris
It is possible with the size on disk issue that it is taking in to account hidden files. Your assumption about thumbs.db is correct. You can turn off this feature by going in to tools menu, then choosing folder options, click on the view tab and then place a tick box in the do not cache thumbnails option, and hey presto, your problem should be solved.
Animal
Captain Fertile wrote:
Problem 1
If I try to delete the .db files while in my FTP client all the image files disappear from view (I know they are still on my PC) in the window showing my local drive so I have to go the trash and retrieve the .db file so that I can see what is in the folder using the local drive window (the left window pane in the FTP software).

Am I right my assumption of what these files are?

Is there any way to automatically prevent these thumbs being uploaded?

You are correct - the thumbs.db files are created by Windows - they are small hidden files that cache the thumbnails for view in the folders. There isn't really any problem removing these from your computer (I do quite frequently), so I would suggest that before you upload your site to the web. To do so, you will need to enable the ability to view hidden files - open a folder, select TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW > DISPLAY HIDDEN FILES. Then, simply go to the highest folder level (eg. C:\Website Files\ or wherever you put them), right-click on it and select SEARCH. Find thumbs.db and delete everything it finds.

Captain Fertile wrote:
Problem 2
When I check the size of my website folder by looking at its ‘Properties’ in Windows I get two readings, eg.:

Size 6.14MB
And
Size on Disk: 26.7MB

What are these two results and why the huge difference in size?
Which one is the amount of server space that this folder will actually take up, the larger or the smaller?

SOuld my two problems both mbe realted to thoese darn .db file (although the size of the .db files does not match the vast difference in the two staed files sizes).

As far as I know, the problem here is to do with the way your hard disk works. If, for example, each block on your hard disk was 32k and you had 400 files of 2k each, the amount of space used is actually 400*32k since each file will use it's own block. If all these 2k files were put into a single zip file, even if the files weren't themselves compressible, the zip file would only take up the actual size (6.14Mb) and not the "size on disk" (26.7Mb) because only one "partial block" is used and not 400. You could demonstrate this in any folder on your computer that has a lot of small files in it. Again, if you are transferring files to relatively slow media (eg. a flash drive), it will take far longer to transfer hundreds of small files rather than one large file.

With regard to your comment about the thumbs.db files, these could contribute to the larger "size on disk" reading, but it's more likely to be due to the large number of files you are using.

So I haven't really helped you fix the problem, but I hope it makes a little more sense now.
Captain Fertile
Thank you both.

Problem is now solved and answers all thoroughly and completely, well. answered.

I guess this can be locked now.

THANK YOU! Dancing
Animal
Captain Fertile wrote:
I guess this can be locked now.

THANK YOU! Dancing

No problem Smile

Please PM any mod if you want this thread to be re-opened.

-close-