FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Al Gore´s video

maclui
Al Gore is making a big effort to tell everybody the facts of the climate crisis. The documentary is really well documented and it really makes you think twice about the seriousness of the issue. It seems that Al Gore is making this just because of his concern on global warming or do you think he has some hidden intentions?
Captain Fertile
The guy makes a living as a politician!

As a casual outside observer (from the UK) that makes him as bent as a deep sea frog!

Of course others with better knowledge of the man may know better.

After all, decent politicians who are not totally corrupt and self-serving exist out there somewhere – don’t they?
Liambaby
As bent as a deep sea frog? That's a new one on me!
As for the film, I had my reservations, only knew Gore as the guy who didn't win an election once, but I have to say it was very well made, one of the best documentaries I have seen, not just on global warming, but on any subject.
LumberJack
Liambaby wrote:
As bent as a deep sea frog? That's a new one on me!
As for the film, I had my reservations, only knew Gore as the guy who didn't win an election once, but I have to say it was very well made, one of the best documentaries I have seen, not just on global warming, but on any subject.

The film is called "An inconvenient truth" for those people who live under a rock, and yes, it was very well made. Those people who still don't believe in global warming are participating in the ultimate natural selection experiment. Darwinism hardcore.
afriot
Explain this to me... If there's a major issue with global warming now vs. years ago, what caused the ice ages to end? Couldn't this all just be cyclical?
maclui
afriot wrote:
Explain this to me... If there's a major issue with global warming now vs. years ago, what caused the ice ages to end? Couldn't this all just be cyclical?

That is exactly one of those things the so called skeptics say about global warming, that this is a cyclical phenomenon but The documentary explains with facts, charts and long time studies that CO2 is a direct cause of global warming in this present time.

In the other hand my opinion about Al Gore is that he should have been the president of the US instead of Bush. I think he is smarter and a person who cares about really important things, besides that he got the biggest amount of votes.
kuyman
The article in Wired magazine about Al Gore a few months ago really made me see what a great thing he was trying to do. However his movie really sold me. After seeing his movie, I became an instant Al Gore fanatic and now use every oportunity to tell people about global warming.

Seriously, not making this up.

If Al Gore decided he wanted to run for president (again), I believe this movie would be an excellent way to get attention on him before he announced his intentions. He has the money, the support. I could easily imagine he and Obama as president and vice president.

Just my two cents.
Captain Fertile
So what is the title of this video - or have I missed its mention on the thread.

I am keen to see it now because if the content plus someone here commented that it is the best doucumentary they have seen on any subject - I do enjoy documentaries.
maclui
Quote:
The film is called "An inconvenient truth"
bangala
As I'm reading the comments here, I became curious about this documentary. Where can I get this video? Any link for it?
CrimsonStrange
For those who want to know more about An Inconvenient Truth -

The official website for the documentary - ClimateCrisis.net

Wikipedia entry about "An Inconvenient Truth"

The trailer for the film from Apple.com

The trailer for the film from Google videos

As for where to find a copy of the movie... - you should be able to rent it at just about any decent Movie Gallery or your local movie store. If you don't see it, ask the clerk about it!

Arrow This is a good fansite for the film/book, with links to resources/learning materials - An-Inconvenient-Truth.com
quex
Bump for this. An Inconvenient Truth is pretty damned good. I seriously do worry about the folks who still think climate change is just a passing scare, a hoax, or even some malicious conspiracy... If anything, the conspiracy lies with the "scientists" on the payroll of the oil companies who were given massive funding to spread doubt about the well-established facts. It's not just a politician you may or may not like making a movie about it -- the whole modern world is impatiently waiting for the Americans to catch up before it's too late.

Additionally, to anyone genuinely interested in this topic, I would suggest learning about global dimming as well as global warming. It could be worse than we realize.
markrc99
I’m no scientist but the situation does seem rather dire. The Kyoto Treaty, verifying widespread consensus or collusion depending upon your perspective, is an undeniable problem for the U.S. because we’re by far the world’s largest producer and consumer of all goods & services. We represent 5% of the world’s population, while our production and consumption rate is disproportionately 25-30%. This of course means that we’re also accountable for at least a quarter of the world’s waste, so we’re a major polluter.

Another undisputable fact is the greenhouse effect. Carbon Dioxide is known to act as an insulator of radiated heat emitting from the earth’s surface. The debate is whether the amounts, which I’ve read are anywhere from 22 to 30%, that derive from human activity, are adversely affecting the environment. Another aspect of the debate is, if we are impacting the atmosphere adversely, is radical action to reverse the trend necessary now?

Other key facts are that the earth’s warming coincides with the advent of the industrialization age and to think that the greater increase of CO2 in the northern hemisphere, where the vast majority of all this industrialization has taken place, is mere coincidence, seems laughable at best. Finally, there’s the visual evidence, as we peer at the ice mass of the Artic Circle in 1979 and a quarter of a century later. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2003/1023esuice.html#addlinfo
tribe
I'm not a believer at all in this Global Warming BS; yes I call it BS.

Is the Earth warming up, Yes, and when you hear everyone complain about how cold it gets in some places, how bad could it really be.

That chart I posted is proof enough that the earth's temperatures are in CYCLES. How the hell do you think we got out of the Ice Age????????? They didn't have SUV's back then now did they Gore?

I just had the 6th worst winter ever in my neck of the woods, and a period of 2 months in which it never hit 32 degrees. That's full blown up proof that Global Warming is occurring now isn't it?

Everyone can go run and praise Al Gore and his Oscar, which all those Hollywood Liberal Hippies gave him, but the facts are facts: THE EARTH HAS ALWAYS BEEN, AND ALWAYS WILL BE IN TEMPERATURE CYCLES!
rheanna
It's BS..to stir up fear.. Project Global 2000 look it up...That's when everything falls to chit. Look it up.
LumberJack
tribe wrote:
I'm not a believer at all in this Global Warming BS; yes I call it BS.

Is the Earth warming up, Yes, and when you hear everyone complain about how cold it gets in some places, how bad could it really be.

That chart I posted is proof enough that the earth's temperatures are in CYCLES. How the hell do you think we got out of the Ice Age????????? They didn't have SUV's back then now did they Gore?

I just had the 6th worst winter ever in my neck of the woods, and a period of 2 months in which it never hit 32 degrees. That's full blown up proof that Global Warming is occurring now isn't it?

Everyone can go run and praise Al Gore and his Oscar, which all those Hollywood Liberal Hippies gave him, but the facts are facts: THE EARTH HAS ALWAYS BEEN, AND ALWAYS WILL BE IN TEMPERATURE CYCLES!

No one is saying it isn't. Hell, the charts Al Gore revealed were much better than your retarded little chart, and omg he referenced it a hell of a lot better than you did Smile

The fact of the matter is if you look hard enough you can see the effects of global warming on a much smaller scale, right in front of you. Look at what happens on a hot day in a city. The smog/pollution effects, a majority of that is CO2 that doesn't leave because the air is stagnate. ( http://www.atl.ec.gc.ca/weather/smog_faq.html ) How much more it intensifies the heat around you. If you leave the city, you will find it much cooler than inside it, now just imagine it on a bigger scale, there is your global warming.

Your logic is flawed. Humans crap on everything we touch. Don't be in denial.
rheanna
put a little more effort into your research and you'll find out they do have a secret project dealing with the global warming it was said in that speech that I posted. I think the date is 95 but it's hard to see. I thought it was 72.
Lord Klorel
I agree that we need to do everything so that we change the climat in the nearby future. But it seems that Al Gore is not following his movie, because he consumes so much electricity that we can say: Why are you sending a message in to the world and you don't follow it by your own.

I hope that some scientists can find something so we can change our behaviour against mother nature.
CrimsonStrange
Well, whether you believe all the dire predictions about Global Warming or not, there's a certain kind of common-sense thinking that should prevail on both sides of the fence -

Do we, as a species, seriously consider the sheer amount of man-made chemicals and toxic by-products of our everyday lives that we continuously dump into the earth's land, atmosphere & water?

Are we so arrogant that we truly believe that they won't have ANY detrimental effects on the planet or the living forms residing on the planet, either immediately or in the distant future?

There are so many statistics that the average person will never know about.
There are so many irrefutable pieces of evidence that will be covered-up and hidden behind deceit, distractions and denial.
There are so many hushed conversations taking place right now behind locked doors that you & I will never hear.

Think about this, just for a minute -

If organizations & major companies can lose the personal information of hundreds of thousands of people and hide it for months without anybody knowing...

If producers/manufacturers of food for both pets & people can produce dangerous or deadly products contaminated with disease & toxins, sometimes for years, before anything gets done about it...

If a country's leaders can & will wage war over natural resources, pride, and reasonings that even the individuals directly involved in, dying in and suffering as a result of their wars do not understand...

... then why does the idea that we're rapidly destroying the world we live in seem so absurd to so many people?

Idea Whether Gore's a fanatic or not, he makes ya think, and that's what makes him dangerous in the eyes of those in power.
Moonspider
maclui wrote:
afriot wrote:

That is exactly one of those things the so called skeptics say about global warming, that this is a cyclical phenomenon but The documentary explains with facts, charts and long time studies that CO2 is a direct cause of global warming in this present time.

In the other hand my opinion about Al Gore is that he should have been the president of the US instead of Bush. I think he is smarter and a person who cares about really important things, besides that he got the biggest amount of votes.

Except those studies of CO2 and temperature (taken from ice core samples) indicate that CO2 increases are caused by rising temperatures, not vice versa! If you look at the charts, the CO2 levels increase years after the temperature increases. Al Gore is right in that there is a direct correlation, but the studies do not show the correlation that he would lead you to believe.

For all of you who refuse to be skeptical, I recommend you watch the British TV Channel 4 documentary The Great Global Warming Swindle in addition to Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. You can view it here:The Great Global Warming Swindle

On another note, Al Gore lost. Plain and simple. He received the most popular votes but not the most electoral votes. This is quite common in U.S. history and there have been far closer (and even more hotly contested) presidential elections in the past. One president even gained office even though he received the least popular and electoral votes.

The electoral system guarantees states that their voices will be heard no matter their size. Thus presidents will never be elected by popular vote alone. If that were the case you might as well disband the Senate too and have just a House of Representatives.

markrc99 wrote:
Another undisputable fact is the greenhouse effect. Carbon Dioxide is known to act as an insulator of radiated heat emitting from the earth’s surface. The debate is whether the amounts, which I’ve read are anywhere from 22 to 30%, that derive from human activity, are adversely affecting the environment. Another aspect of the debate is, if we are impacting the atmosphere adversely, is radical action to reverse the trend necessary now?

Yes, the greenhouse effect does exist. Without it the Earth would be frozen wasteland. However the claim that greenhouse gas increases (specifically CO2) are causing the current warming trend does not hold water. All of the current warming is happening near the Earth's surface.

Respectfully,
M
Moonspider
Insanity wrote:
There is little doubt among leading scientists that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and traps in heat from the sun, thus leading to higher temperatures.

Yes, CO2 is a greenhouse gas and as such helps trap heat from the sun. However, the question regarding its role in climate change is, do CO2 increases historically precede global temperature increases or follow them? (If the latter it would be due to the warming oceans giving off more CO2.)

Respectfully,
M
southy
maclui wrote:
Al Gore is making a big effort to tell everybody the facts of the climate crisis. The documentary is really well documented and it really makes you think twice about the seriousness of the issue. It seems that Al Gore is making this just because of his concern on global warming or do you think he has some hidden intentions?

Read this, from IMDB commentary by Cameron from the US.
Quote:
Whether you're a fan of Al Gore or not, he isn't really the issue here. He does a great job presenting the various forms of overwhelming evidence for global warming and mankind's link to it, but he doesn't do it in a political or spiteful way. He shows global temperature and atmospheric carbon patterns, and he shows that our last 20 years have been the highest by a longshot over the previous 600,000 years. Frankly, before seeing the film, I'd heard a lot of information about global warming being a myth, but this film dispels that notion with many independent pieces of evidence.

Even more importantly, it goes to show why we should care that global warming is occurring. As you may have seen in the trailer, if global warming continues at its current rate, the earth's coastlines will be flooded displacing tens of millions of people, it will increase the strength and frequency of hurricanes and tornadoes, it will irrevocably kill off many of the worlds glaciers, it will dry up lands interior to the coastline (like our heartland), and it will disrupt/kill species after species from polar bears to birds. These changes could occur in as short a time as ten to fifty years from NOW.

Lastly, he finishes with ways in which we can affect a change. It would be easy to see this film, get depressed about all the state of affairs, and throw up one's hands in despair, but the film offers us ways, big and small, to help reverse global warming's effects right now.

Al Gore doesn't have hidden intentions. Many people think that he's trying to become president and that he can do so much more for the environment as president. It's not true. He HASN'T tried and won't try because he can do more for the environment as Al Gore than President.
LumberJack
Lord Klorel wrote:
I agree that we need to do everything so that we change the climat in the nearby future. But it seems that Al Gore is not following his movie, because he consumes so much electricity that we can say: Why are you sending a message in to the world and you don't follow it by your own.

I hope that some scientists can find something so we can change our behaviour against mother nature.

Gross exaggeration. Media blew it way out of proportion and the average American is too dumb to see how they are manipulating the statistics. Take the Chicago Time Article

http://www.suntimes.com/news/steyn/281949,CST-EDT-STEYN04.article

His house does use a lot of electricity, as they say, but they are comparing it to a national household average. Why? That is ridiculous. Gore does not have a average American house. LOL. Why would you be comparing it to the average American home? He lives in a huge mansion with a swimming pool, therefore one would assume it would use more then the average American home, since it is much larger. Not to mention all the damn electronics he has in there. Twice as much? Doesn't sound bad to me.

What a lot of people don't mention is that:

"60- to 70-year-old house is undergoing renovations to add solar panels to reduce consumption off the power grid, and energy-efficient windows have been installed. The home also uses "compact" fluorescent light bulbs and other energy-saving technology, the Gores drive hybrids and participate in two programs that indirectly reduce carbon emissions."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254908,00.html

So if Gore is still using lots of power, he is doing a lot more than the average citizen. It still doesn't change the global warming issue that is in front of us, or the evidence he presents in his film.

Too bad that people allow themselves to get caught up in political attacks, just because the republicans are upset at all the attention he is getting. Oh well. I guess it is a little too much for people to use some damn common sense.
quex
Sometimes, I wonder if John Glenn was making this his personal crusade, would people be more willing to listen to it? Even the title of this whole thread -- "Al Gore's Video" -- suggests that the conversation herein isn't about the message, but rather the messenger. Weird, isn't it?

Yes, Gore is a strange guy. He's got the kinda nerdy-attention-wh0re thing going on. But when the village idiot runs into town with an international contingent of leading volcanologists and yells that the volcano next door is blowing it's top, do you ignore him?

The global warming message was broadcast long before Al Gore. It's been analyzed and reconfirmed by every first-world country except the US. For the rest of the world, watching the US dismiss global warming as a natural phenomenon is like watching Gambia's president cure aids.* Absolutely tragic.

Then again, Gambia isn't the single biggest source of the HIV virus in the world. America IS the single biggest source of controllable greenhouse-gas emissions in the world. So in our case, it's not just tragic, it's infuriating.

*http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/develop/health/2007/0308despot.htm
JJGY
Even though it's Al Gore's movie, the data he cites is from the scientific community. So whether or not Gore's got a hidden agenda, the scientific community is unlikely to have one.
lyddi8
I have to say that scientists are the most underrated group of people in the world!!! Why people don't pour more money into this field is beyond me. Any industry can be profitable...
Maybe part of the reason the US continues to ignore blatant scientific facts is because much of the country dismisses teaching science, in favour of "creationism".
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/22/opinion/polls/main657083.shtml

I just don't know how much longer the US can sustain it's economy with such abysmal standards of education.... but that's a whole other thread.
lyddi8
Al Gore is the first American politician the rest of the world has respected for a long, long time.