FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RAM: Why is some ram so expensive??

Dwyer17
I've been looking to upgrade my ram over the past month. Well, anyway, why would CORSAIR XMS 2GB be $300, when OCZ 2GB with virtually the exact same specs (the OCZ has lower latency...) be $200? Possibly only because CORSAIR slaps their name on the memory? Well... Take a look

CORSAIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145587

OCZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227084

Doesn't make sence to me.

I currently have the exact same CORSAIR's in my system, latency of 2-2-2-5 but with two 512MBs instead of two 1GB. Hmm...

?[/url]
Josso
I'm not quite sure about your specific problem but I've always found that RAM is the cheapest thing to upgrade - and we've no even got bad RAM Confused
fadirocks
I still didn't get into a bad RAM yet I've seen incompatible especially with annoying DELL that I tried to upgrade for my cousin but never seen bad RAM yet!
dz9c
that ram may be for overclocking and other stuff like that. plus it could be your paying for the name. or they figure they will fool people will the cool looking heatsink on it. stuff like that. plus that is 2gb of ddr memory... thats slightly expensive plus it has a rebate
PseudoKnight
Because stupid people are buying it at the higher price. Companies will sell their products at whatever price people will still buy them. Most of them don't actively try to keep the prices fair in comparison to their competitors unless it's hurting their sales.
Dwyer17
Hmm... Well I for sure think that those COSAIRS are simply an extra $100 for the brand name. But yeah, I agree, it's true, companies will try to make as much money as they can.
psycosquirrel
It isn't brand name as much as it is that the Corsair will overclock like a dream. They are simply better-made than the OCZ RAM.
PseudoKnight
Even if the brand was better for overclocking, the timings are more than enough to even it out. OCZ is a great brand and it's not uncommon for it to outperform Corsair. They're both great options, but in this case it's obvious that OCZ would be the better choice. That's not always the case.
psycosquirrel
Actually, the timing won't matter at all if you have to run the OCZ with a ratio. Since the Corsair overclocks better, it is more likely you will not have to do so.

But anyways, this whole argument / thread is stupid because there is a Corsair XMS kit with the same timings as the OCZ, only for $50 less than the one linked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575 apparently the OP did not see this kit. After the rebates, the extra ~$10 is more than worth it.