FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

favourite plays?

ReubenWilliams
Mine would be an ideal husband by oscar wilde. He combines his trademark sharop humour and social observation with intensely poignant and moving dialogue which flitter in and out of eachother like the smooth comical patter of a street magician interplays with the breathtaking wizzardry of his tricks.
TurtleShell
Mine would definitely be Peter Brook's version of "le costume". I had never seen a Brook play before, have never seen one since, and it just left a great impression on me. It's years later and I still think about it. And it's the only play I've ever seen with subtitles:)
varon
i love Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing," "Othello," and "The Taming of the Shrew." Razz Pretty classic, huh.

On to the more contemporary playwrights, I just love Peter Schaffer's works. His works are mostly disturbing psychological pieces but the way he handled them was simply incomparable. He did "Amadeus" which was translated into a movie version and went on to win an Oscar, but the play is superior to the film. His play "Equus" is being remade, and will be shown towards the end of this month in London -- starring a very adult Daniel Radcliffe (who plays Harry Potter onscreen) with a very sexy nude scene. Shocked Just check out the site: http://equustheplay.com/
evanc88
August Wilson is an amazing playwright. Check out "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom," "Joe Turner's Come and Gone," and his most recent (and most amazing, in my opinion), "Gem of the Ocean."

I also really love Herb Gardner. He wrote some amazing plays. "A Thousand Clowns" is a classic, as well as "I'm Not Rappaport." I just finished that one actually and I loved it.
johanfh
I like two classical plays: MacBeth (Shakespeare) and l'Avare (Moličre). I don't know why I like them the most, but with MacBeth I guess it has something to do with the opening scene. I know that by heart. You can feel the rain, see the lightning, etc.
And l'Avare is a nice story.

JohanFH
lyddi8
A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams left a lasting impression-- i would love to see a production of it one day.
Out of all Shakespeare's plays, i think Titus Andronicus carries really well on the stage-- it's so passionate and brutal.
meet in rio
Well, everyone loves Hamlet! The tension in The Crucible is fabulous and I like it in the same way that I like Bodas de sangre, and all the 'rural tragedies'.

A Streetcar Named Desire has to be a favourite, though: there's just so much to drag out of it.
jyrevi
I enjoyed Hamlet, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Hamlet is a bit tragic, but I really enjoyed it.
A Midsummer Night's Dream, however, is comic. I like funny things. Very Happy
Dean_The_Great
Favourite play of all time? As in, that I've read? Or that I've seen.

Of those I've seen. I would have to say Billy Crystal's "700 Sundays".. a brilliant piece of work, of course, only something Billy Crystal can deliver. Otherwise, I would say David French's "Salt Water Moon". Now there's a great two hander about love and sub-text. Heh!

Now, of those I've read, I would definitely have a hard time choosing. I think I would go with "White Mice" by O'Donnell. There's another great two hander.

And as far as Shakespeare goes, I would say "Othello" is definitely my favourite. I've seen it done twice (once horribly, once amazingly) and read it quite a few times. It's brilliantly put together, and the characters (like many of Shakespeare's characters) are well thought out and intricate.
bluezone
I like two classical plays: MacBeth (Shakespeare) and l'Avare (Moličre). I don't know why I like them the most, but with MacBeth I guess it has something to do with the opening scene. I know that by heart. You can feel the rain, see the lightning, etc.
And l'Avare is a nice story.
beside this sherlock Holmes Is My favourite Of sir author Conan doyle.. Hes Genius man
ainieas
Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett
A classic. First time I read it i thought it was meaning less. but then we did it in class years later and I found it to be so deep and meaningful. Amazing. I highly recommend everyone to read this play. It follows the existentialist philosophy (which I do too!).

The Importance of being Ernest - Oscar Wilde
Simply superb. Nice plot and classically funny. A good read.
Trivia: In Spiderman 2 the movie, Mary Jane was an actress in this play.
anonymous21
I like the play "Wanted: A Chaperon" by Someone (I forgot his name)...

The play "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare was my favorite too. I don't like Horror and Suspense much, but instead, I'm more in romance.
meet in rio
Ack - how could I have forgotten?! I adore Angels In America. If you can't be bothered to read it, there was an excellent (and brilliantly-cast) 6-part production made.
anonymous21
I like the play "A Midsummer Night's Dream", "Big", and "Fiddler on the Roof".

The first two plays gave some funny feedbacks, and the third one is really on the comedy side.
pertra
i dont care for plays but i delivered half of the props for a play. but dont care to watch em Laughing . good luck every one

pertra
Afaceinthematrix
My favorite play of all time is The Glass Menagerie. Has anyone else read it? It's by Tennessee Williams.
twisthigh
Anything Goes and Glass Menagerie is good too, so many plays that I just love love love!!
freshtracker
Counter Strike
virre
I like Becketts, 'Waiting for Godot'. Although I have only read it, the same goes for 'Mother Courage and her Daugthers' (err is that the English title).

Shakespeare I also enjoy, MacBeth is one of the better. Of course I enjoy Terry Pratchett makeing fun of Shakespeare even more.

But I really don't see enough theatre
hampuswargsjo
I like hamlet. It's one of the best all-time, a truly classic. Wink

Here is some facts about and a bit from the begining of my summary of it. If someone would want to carry on on it I'll be glad. Smile

Quote:
Hamlet is a tragedy by William Shakespeare, and is one of his best-known. Evidence suggests that it was complete and being performed by 1600, but had some topical references added the following year. Hamlet is probably the most popular of Shakespeare's plays, judging by the number of productions; for example, topping the list at the Royal Shakespeare since 1879. With 4,042 lines and 29,551 words, Hamlet is the longest Shakespearean play.

This is a story about young Prince Hamlet who bears the same name as his father, the King of Denmark, who has recently and unexpectedly died. Hamlet's uncle, Claudius, has inherited the throne and taken the former king’s wife (Prince Hamlet’s mother), Gertrude, as his own. Prince Hamlet is greatly grieved by the taking of the throne by Claudius and Gertrude’s hasty remarriage to her departed husband’s brother, whom Prince Hamlet considers not worthy, compared to his father.
Crazy_Canuck
jyrevi wrote:
I enjoyed Hamlet, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Hamlet is a bit tragic, but I really enjoyed it.
A Midsummer Night's Dream, however, is comic. I like funny things. Very Happy

Laughing You've revived the art of ironic understatement.

Thanks for this!
teknotom
My favourite play is 'Blood Brothers' by Willy Russell. The themes and sub-plots are pretty tough, but he really pulled it off. Its so emotional.
imera
I have seen like only three plays in my life, Puti Pluti Plott, a Christmas story; Pippi Longstockings, a child’s book by a Swedish writer; Rocky horror picture show, the funniest thing I have seen.

The last one was a school play, and I heard later on that our school was probably the best one performing it compared to other schools because they 'went further' with the things, if you have seen it then you'll understand.

I have seen movies that is based on plays, my favourite has to be 'taming the shrew' and 'a Midsummer Night's Dream', sweet story and funny.

I do wish to go and see plays, but living in the middle of nowhere and working most of the times kind of ruins it.
Patriot Players
While I've been in several plays, my favorite, so far, has to be "Our Town" by Thornton Wilder. The play is directed to have no set, and no props. The only thing you may have is the allusion of a set, everthing was pantomime! Very fun to do.

Another recent play I've been delving into recently is "The House of the Seven Gables" adapted from the Hawthorne novel of the same name. While the story is evoking and involved and moving, the writing is terrible. I'm really sad to say that whomever (I forget his name...) scripted this play did a terrible job. It's hokey! And creepy old mansions and scary spinsters who reside in them while hiding dark and terrible secrets shouldn't be hokey!

But it is... and it makes me frustrated to watch a director tell people who have to turn to each other and say, "The murderer?" to stop laughing when it is, in fact, LAUGHABLE! Frustrating!
MaxStirner
[DELETED]
TurtleShell
Anybody here a fan of Tom Stoppard? I don't think I've ever seen one of his plays performed, but I've read a few (I seem to recall enjoying The Real Inspector Hound, and I loved Arcadia). I'd love to see one.

Also, Harold Pinter--the Dumbwaiter really left an impression. Again, I've never seen it performed, but I'd LOVE to.