FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

That damn spyware

marixworld
my computer is infected with a spyware and now i'm unable to browse the internet since it has hijacked my homepage. any attempt of typing a url in the address bar is useless since after pressing on the enter key, that stupid warning page will appear. I've tried cleaning my drive with xoftspy anti-spyware but it doesn't make any sense, i've tried scanning it with AVG but still nothing. What can you suggest guys? I hate formatting it again.
Dwyer17
I've been fighting spyware for too long. It really sucks.

Google these thing:
Spybot Search & Destroy (download it, it's excellent)
Ad-ware SE (another excellent program)
also, google a program called hijackthis and follow the intructions, I find that hijackthis solves many problems.
You may also want to try Ewido Anti-Spyware

These programs are all free and spyware free. They are meant for fighting spyware. I hope that helps. Sorry for making you google everything, I'm just too lazy to give you the links, my bad.
mystzero
Mind to tell what browser are you using?

Anyway, it looks like your URLDefaultSearchHook in the registry is causing the problem.

Please download Hijackthis from here.

1. After downloading, extract it to your desktop.
2. Browse to the hijackthis folder and double-click on hijackthis.exe
3. Hijackthis will launch and you will be presented with a menu. Select "Perform a Scan and Save a Log".
4. Notepad will open with the hijackthis log contain inside.
5. Copy the contents and paste the contents of the log here

Do not removed anything through Hijackthis yet as we need details from your log.
Daisie
I recomand to do what Mystzero said. I had a nasty sunburst spyware and was only able to remove it using Hijackthis and the help of some nice people.
Dont worry there is hope !
turbowolf
I also hate spyware. I think the best way to avoid it is to use firefox other than IE. At the same time, try your best to keep yourself away from some suspect software, especially those pirate software.

marixworld wrote:
my computer is infected with a spyware and now i'm unable to browse the internet since it has hijacked my homepage. any attempt of typing a url in the address bar is useless since after pressing on the enter key, that stupid warning page will appear. I've tried cleaning my drive with xoftspy anti-spyware but it doesn't make any sense, i've tried scanning it with AVG but still nothing. What can you suggest guys? I hate formatting it again.
jay84h
Use other methods of scanning your PC. Example(s): Ad-Aware, AVG Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware, NOD32 (those are the best ones that I can suggest ebcause they keep me clean.) Also don't forget to use Firefox if you are not already using it. It is way more seure than IE7.
stephancreelle
i think you would do well in using a registery-cleanup program too , because the malware often messes your registery up too
Josso
Dwyer17 wrote:
I've been fighting spyware for too long. It really sucks.

Google these thing:
Spybot Search & Destroy (download it, it's excellent)
Ad-ware SE (another excellent program)
also, google a program called hijackthis and follow the intructions, I find that hijackthis solves many problems.
You may also want to try Ewido Anti-Spyware

These programs are all free and spyware free. They are meant for fighting spyware. I hope that helps. Sorry for making you google everything, I'm just too lazy to give you the links, my bad.

Yeah that's very good advise, you'll clear up a lot with the first two. Also check for viruses while your at it, if there's something you "can't remove" with the software learn how to use regedit safely in Windows and you can pull them out of the registry.
yjwong
Remember to heed what Mystzero said. Use HijackThis and remember to paste the log in your next reply. Human-antiviruses are always better than computers (humans have higher IQ, IMO =)
TimmyS
Quote:
Please use quote tags

Reccomend downloading ccleaner from: www.ccleaner.com, spybot search and destroy: www.safer-networking.org (install default settings only), and counterspy trial edition: www.sunbelt-software.com. install and update fully.

Then hijack this: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

Then start your PC in safe mode and run CCleaner (Don't change any settings) then Spybot S&D, followed By Counter spy.

FIX ALL PROBLEMS.

This Should clear your system of 99.9% of your malware.

if you are still experiencing problems then please run Hijack this and post the log file

Hope That This Helps
icedrakon
there are many thins that you can do.
First take off the interner explorer use firefox inside firefox ad ons you will find on line scan...
Second try download a nod32 anti virus..
Third study more the firefox 2 the adons are powerfull....
ownaging
hey

I recommend you TuneUp Utilities and spyware stormer, i think these are the best spyware programs and with tuneup you also can make a better performance for your pc x)

greez
dz9c
Adaware is a greta program it gets rid of everything for me
daney
You have a seriouse problem has i see. You have to use Ewido Anti-Spyware.
I think it the best, it now belong to AVG.
Try it and you will tell
DoctorBeaver
I agree with everything that has been said. Since I started using using Firefox & AdAware I've had no infections at all. I've got Spybot S&D and HijackThis just in case but they've never found anything.
greatfire
Ad-aware and Spybot S&D are good, but i use them to prevent spyware getting in(regular scans). However whenever it gets bad, Highjackthis is the thing to turn to.
jcnet
hey friend,
I had a .DLL, .SYS spyware......and I thought that I have only 1 spyware and I downloaded a software called COMBOFIX.... Its a DOS program and may take some 5 minutes to completely erase all the spwares from your PC.... and I was surprised to see the log file it created.... My system had more than 15 DLL Spywares........

You can download it from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/combofix.exe

and keep your computer safe....

You can also use this free antivirus called AntiVir from Avira Company...

ALL THE BEST...
outofnicks
I am not a Windows user, was on Mac for years before switching to Linux.
So I'm asking this out of ignorance--why can't you just install a good firewall, and close all unused ports? Wouldn't that secure your computer?
Relevent to this topic, here's some pretty in-depth reading about botnets, and honeypots:
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/

All my incoming ports are closed, and I have a long password that's hard to crack. Of course, you need a multi-user system.
I'm sure it's not as simple as this but like I say, I'm blissfully ignorant regarding Windows Very Happy
froginabox
You can do exactly that, outofnicks, but that involves extremely high security firewalls and a better browser.

You also have to remember that most of the spyware out there doesn't need to hack into your computer, you let it in by accident.
bulek
Just install program Webroot Spysweeper and run a full system scan. It is far away best and effective program for detecting & removing spyware from Windows computers. Ad-aware is pretty good, too.
If spyware deleted or replaced *.ddl files from Windows directory, you should put original Windows CD to computer, reset it and run Repair Windows. That will replace all broken or missing files from Windows folder but also keep all current program and settings.