FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

This competition will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Captain Fertile
Okay, you guys have come up trumps before and I have the hardest challenge yet. In fact I suspect it may be a mission impossible but I am hoping I am wrong.

A number of years ago (about 2000) I heard a song that I absolutely loved.

As the passage of time has rolled along the song was forgotten. I remembered it today and I would love to hear it again.

I wonder if anyone could help me identify the song and singer, in fact the first person to get the singer and song will receive 100F$. In fact if your suggestion leads ME to remember the song or the title you will still get the full prize amount.

Now here is the problem I have almost NO information for you to go on. I really dont know if it is going to be possible for anyone to suggest what the song might be but here goes with the info I can remember.

What I Do KNow:

It was sung by a man (there you go, Ive narrowed it down by 50% already for you).

He had two names (like John Smith or Bob Jones NOT like Limahl, or Jamelia, I know shes a girl but you get the idea)

I believe he was a solo artist, this was not a band or group.

If you are under 30 years old chances are you wont have heard of it, but maybe you have.

Okay now for the really hard part:

The song contained lyrics mentioning listening to rain on the roof while you lay in your or my bed or our bed (or something like that I think).

There was a line about tears fall from your eyes like ice or rain (or maybe diamonds or steel, maybe even salt - oh dear this request is hopeless I fear).

The song had a middle of the road feel it was not rock, it was more like an acoustic sound to it and it was quite mellow from what I can remember.

There were no throbbing guitar riffs and drum solos in this baby. Music to just sit back with the one you love and chill I guess.

It was sent to me by someone in the US and I dont think the record or the artist is known here in the UK because I have never heard either mentioned here either before or since.

I will know the name of the artist and the song as soon as I hear it.

I will try and remember any more details if I can.

I know this is pretty much impossible but I thought I would give it a try.

Good luck to anyone crazy enough to take up this challenge.

This is a test for the real FriHost detectives/Music fans I guess.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Regards
The Captain
Montressor
Hmm, I have no clue, but I did find this:
http://www.lacarte.org/songs/rain/
Maybe it's there (only 800 songs about rain)

then again, the site says that there are over 5000 albums that have a significant mention of "rain" in a title of a song, let alone mention rain in any part of the song...
Captain Fertile
Thanks for trying, the hints to the song I have offered are pretty pathetic I'm suprised anyone even tried. SO thanks for not ignoring my plea. Smile
Eyvind
Hey Cap'n,

I know you said it wasn't a group, and that there weren't any guitar riffs but this part:

Quote:
The song contained lyrics mentioning listening to rain on the roof while you lay in your or my bed or our bed (or something like that I think).

really makes me think of the song I Remember You by Skid Row. The opening lyrics fit the bill perfectly

Quote:
Woke up to the sound of pouring rain
The wind would whisper and I'd think of you
And all the tears you cried, that called my name
And when you needed me I came through

I know this probably isn't it but thought I'd offer in case it jogs your memory. I know how frustrating this kind of thing can be. It actually happens to me a lot. Often with movies.

I'll keep thinking about it.

Take care,
Eyvind
Captain Fertile
@Eyvind

Thank you for giving me some support with this. I am 100% sure it is not a group. It is a male solo artist I am positive.

Also I can see you have have spent some time looking into this but as yet no cigar.

I'm pleased you understand the mental torment I am going through. Even if I can think if of some other cluse fro us to go on but so far a blank.

Thanks so very much for taking the time out to try and help.

Kindest regards and thanks
The Captain
Dougie1
What about Elton John. I don't know many of his songs but it sounds a bit like him...
Eyvind
One of these names ring a bell?

Syd Barrett

Tom Waits

Greg Reid

They all sing about tears and rain.
Blu_Spykz
How about listen to the rain by kenny rogers?
Captain Fertile
Nope its none of those.

I'm still trying to come up with more clues (honestly I am) Smile
Blu_Spykz
Well, I'm stumped. Lol

How about Rain On The Roof by Theodore *teddy* Whitman?
william
OK, I don't actually know what the song could be (I really didn't have much of an interest in listening to music until about a year ago). However, I know one place you could go to that may help you determine the song. Go to http://www.midomi.com . At this website, you just have to hum whatever you know, and the song should come up. I've only used it once just to test it out (and it did work).

Good luck!
Captain Fertile
william wrote:
OK, I don't actually know what the song could be (I really didn't have much of an interest in listening to music until about a year ago). However, I know one place you could go to that may help you determine the song. Go to http://www.midomi.com . At this website, you just have to hum whatever you know, and the song should come up. I've only used it once just to test it out (and it did work).

Good luck!

Thanks for that my friend, I haven't seen that site before and it made me laugh and raise an eyeborw to think a website can recognise a song by me humming it.

Some problems there:

1) I don' have a mic
2) I can't remember the tune - you see this song, when I do track it down somehow, will bring memories and waves of nostalgia flooding back as soon as I hear it. I love the song but can you believe I can't remember how it goes.
3) Even if I did know the tune I would hum it (or even worse try and sing it) and the website would think I am a dial-up modem or fax machine trying to connect - I am that bad. Rolling Eyes

But thanks for the thought.
mathiaus
I've got one but it doesn't mention tears Sad
EDWIN McCAIN - http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/edwinmccain/illbe.html
Quote:
And rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed.
Captain Fertile
mathiaus wrote:
I've got one but it doesn't mention tears Sad
EDWIN McCAIN - http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/edwinmccain/illbe.html
Quote:
And rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Well despite the lack of info and the fact that most of that info I did give was actually incorrect mathiaus got the answer - how on earth he managed it I will never know but he managed it none-the-less.

Yes it was indeed EDWIN McCAIN - I'll Be.

So 100FriH$ On their way to you sir, and thank your tracking down the artist and the title and allowing me to sleep once more - until the next song pops in there. Well one already had but I am going to do a bit mofe digging first to try and find it myself first.

PAID! Very Happy
Eyvind
Aww, no fair! Very Happy I looked at the lyrics for that song three times and almost recommended it but I fgured the tears part was a pretty important part so I tossed it in the "not likely" bin. Seems your problem was too much info Captain! Not not enough. LOL.

Glad you found it. Music is great for bringing back memories.

Take care,
Eyvind
Captain Fertile
Eyvind wrote:
Aww, no fair! Very Happy I looked at the lyrics for that song three times and almost recommended it but I fgured the tears part was a pretty important part so I tossed it in the "not likely" bin. Seems your problem was too much info Captain! Not not enough. LOL.

Glad you found it. Music is great for bringing back memories.

Take care,
Eyvind

Yeah I agree - too much (bogus) information made it even more difficult for you guys.

I reall appreciate you trying and for your messages of support.

Hopefully I can help you lot out in the future.

As I mentioned before I might have another song for yo guys to find for me in the near future - I'm still trying to find it myself at the moment though. Smile
truespeed
Captain try this http://songtapper.com/ all you do is tap what part of the song you know,using your space bar,and hopefully it will come up with the tune your after.
Captain Fertile
truespeed wrote:
Captain try this http://songtapper.com/ all you do is tap what part of the song you know,using your space bar,and hopefully it will come up with the tune your after.

LOL I tired that out, it was fun but totally trousers at finding the right song - or maybe it was my crap tapping.

Thanks for passing the link on though.