FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web Site That Works with different resolutions?

anto90202
Hi guys i'm new to web design and i just made a web site with flash and dreamweaver 8.The site looks great at 1024x768 but when i change resolution (e.g. 800x600,1280x720) i have problems.
endless
i not sure but i think u can use this script, paste it in the head tags.
Code:

<script type="text/javascript">
   <!--
      window.moveTo (0,0);
      window.resizeTo (screen.availWidth, screeb.availHeigth);

//-->
</script>

tell me if its working
GB
The above will work if the user has their screen set to 1024x768, however, there are still people out there with smaller screens. And then there are those with bigger screens which will get a bunch of dead space around your content.

If you are truly concerned with usability issues, I would consider using flash just for movies embedded in the website and not for navigation. Also, consider using CSS which dreamweaver supports fairly well from my understanding. Make it liquid so it will fill whatever space the user has given it.

Good luck with your site!
Pryme8
that is compleatly fixable! you just need to set up and format your tables correctly... I would recomend designing your site for 800 by 600 becuase most of your views are not going to be at a resolution higher then that...

www.prymedesign.com if you look at my site, no matter how you resize or what pxls your set at, my page will always fit and not look weird, which is very important because of the lines in the background, if the alignment goes off by even 1, it looks sloppy!

remember you can type in absolute pxls, and percents in table widths and heights, also remember that * in the width or heiht will use all the remaining space!
{name here}
If you choose to redo your site in CSS and HTML, the simplest way is to use percentages to define the size in your table cells or divs.
littlegiant
Quote:
I would recomend designing your site for 800 by 600 becuase most of your views are not going to be at a resolution higher then that...

Hmmm... I'm not sure what you're basing that on. The W3C browser statistics page shows only 14% of users are still on 800 x 600. But I agree with GB. I would be more concerned about forcing Flash on all users. There are more people still on dialup internet connections than there are using 800 x 600.
Pryme8
hmm guess thats right o_O... still its better then to cut that 14 percent out!
Dragate
People, people, he's asking how to format flash pages. Not HTML, or something.

I'm not very spcialized in this subject.

Go google it. No one here seems to know, at least not right now. Definatly not me. Sorry.
xyclone
flash uses fixed size. so i suggest using smaller flash size and make it center to html.. but if you wanna use an automatic resize of your animation use scripting like asp or php...
fleurlavag
I had the same problem some weeks ago and to have the best result I just resize my tables in dreamweaver and all my flash movies and pictures.

May be doing this would be easier and faster than trying to find a ready-made script to fix it ove the net!