FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Mozilla





DaComboMan
Did a search specific to this thread and could not find it...

If FriHost could host a Mozilla forum just like Mozillazine's then that would be a generous contribution to the Open Source Community. It could be like a "mirror" forum.

Mozillazine is overwhelmed by usage demand and seems to lack much monetary support.

People need to know that there are alternatives to Microsoft.
Alternatives that are free and often even better!

What do you say?!
garionw
DaComboMan wrote:
Did a search specific to this thread and could not find it...

If FriHost could host a Mozilla forum just like Mozillazine's then that would be a generous contribution to the Open Source Community. It could be like a "mirror" forum.

Mozillazine is overwhelmed by usage demand and seems to lack much monetary support.

People need to know that there are alternatives to Microsoft.
Alternatives that are free and often even better!

What do you say?!


I suppose if it's not too big, you could host it on your own account, but I don't think Bondings would want to do that

Besides, I think we [The Community] would prefer some sort of knowledge base (PHP, Javascript) over forums
LostOverThere
A Mozilla forum is way to specific, I'd say, Maybe an Open Source Forum, but not a Mozilla one, heck, we couldn't even get a Game Making Forum, so I highly doubt a Mozilla forum would be created.
DaComboMan
LostOverThere wrote:
A Mozilla forum is way to specific, I'd say, Maybe an Open Source Forum, but not a Mozilla one, heck, we couldn't even get a Game Making Forum, so I highly doubt a Mozilla forum would be created.


With all respect for the different requests made,
an Open Source Forum (including Mozilla) is a different kind of "ball game."

Not everyone can or wants to upgrade to the next Windows platform (already talking about another one for 2009 called Vienna?). After all, is there any reason why the internet or computers should belong to Bill Gates?
ocalhoun
An open-source forum would be acceptable (although a mozilla forum is too specific), but what is the reason? Any thread that could go there could also be put in the software or computer problems and support forums. Neither of those forums are so busy as to need splitting up into more specific forums.
tidruG
ocalhoun wrote:
An open-source forum would be acceptable (although a mozilla forum is too specific), but what is the reason? Any thread that could go there could also be put in the software or computer problems and support forums. Neither of those forums are so busy as to need splitting up into more specific forums.

That's correct.
It's basically for this reason that I'm not too keen on the idea either.
garionw
I don't think he wants a forum, but an entire mirror
mathiaus
garionw wrote:
I don't think he wants a forum, but an entire mirror

That was my understanding as well. So people would be able to download from their site, the software from Frihost.
Can't see myself how this would be sustainable though Question
DaComboMan
Actually, i was hoping for a mirror or similar style of the forum.

Why?

Basically because the MozillaZine forum is hard to access (slow) even on DSL. Search effort is also tedious. We want to encourage people to get acquainted with Open Source. Those on dial-up appreciate Firefox for example because it's quicker in page rendering than IE (when tweaked of course). The easier and faster the access time to valid information = the greater the "customer" satisfaction, right?

Esthetically, FriHost forum is much better and comparable to other nice ones i regularly visit.
garionw
DaComboMan wrote:
Actually, i was hoping for a mirror or similar style of the forum.

Why?

Basically because the MozillaZine forum is hard to access (slow) even on DSL. Search effort is also tedious. We want to encourage people to get acquainted with Open Source. Those on dial-up appreciate Firefox for example because it's quicker in page rendering than IE (when tweaked of course). The easier and faster the access time to valid information = the greater the "customer" satisfaction, right?

Esthetically, FriHost forum is much better and comparable to other nice ones i regularly visit.


Maybe so, but when I first got FireFox (0.9PR back in '04) it was in a Net Guide CD I never used mozillazine for FireFox and the only time I did need to use it was when I had to lookup something for ThunderBird

Besides, browsing through it now (1.5mbs) The page's load quicker than even Wikipedia and quite possibility Google (In some cases)

And just looking at the Mozilla website, I'm quite sure new users would look at the help files rather than going to a forum. But FireFox works out of the box, and I'm not really sure why it needs support like that?
DaComboMan
garionw wrote:


...

And just looking at the Mozilla website, I'm quite sure new users would look at the help files rather than going to a forum. But FireFox works out of the box, and I'm not really sure why it needs support like that?


Garionw,

Firefox is capable of many things and i'm not so sure you can find all the hidden features through the help file. Take "about:config" for example, i didn't know about that feature until reading up in their forum.

Also, "extensions and themes" have likely been discussed here more than once. If they could be under one thread it would be a nice way to help newcomers find their way around a bit better would it not?

And, i did adjust my thoughts to the request that a new forum include Open Source in general so i'm not just talking about Firefox anymore.
garionw
DaComboMan wrote:

Garionw,

Firefox is capable of many things and i'm not so sure you can find all the hidden features through the help file. Take "about:config" for example, i didn't know about that feature until reading up in their forum.

My argument to that is, they are hidden for a reason and if you are new to FireFox, you shouldn't be fiddling around with those sorts of settings anyway

Yes I know about about:config, I also know about about:firefox, about:plugins, about:mozilla (There are seven in total)

DaComboMan wrote:
Also, "extensions and themes" have likely been discussed here more than once. If they could be under one thread it would be a nice way to help newcomers find their way around a bit better would it not?

Now you've confused me, yes it wouldn't be too hard to create a sticky and sure Bondings would allow that, but it would come under Software Forum

DaComboMan wrote:
And, i did adjust my thoughts to the request that a new forum include Open Source in general so i'm not just talking about Firefox anymore.

So what you're saying is, you would like another forum added that would sit between Software and Operating Systems.

I'm afraid that is not specific enough, you're going to have discussion's about Operating Systems (Linux, Solaris....) Software (Firefox, Audacity.....) Website Software (phpBB, Wordpress....) and heaps more
DaComboMan
garionw wrote:
...
My argument to that is, they are (about:config) hidden for a reason and if you are new to FireFox, you shouldn't be fiddling around with those sorts of settings anyway


On the contrary!
Firefox has a learning curve and the more you get to know about it the more you come to appreciate it.

Quote:

Yes I know about about:config, I also know about about:firefox, about:plugins, about:mozilla (There are seven in total)


I just discovered something!

I didn't want to respond to the other points as it is getting to be a rather extensive discussion.

My basic point is to promote Mozilla and other Open Source initiatives so that people be made aware of valid alternatives much less expensive and most often free compared to Microsoft products.

It's still unbelievable that people don't know more than IE when Mozilla has something so much more secure and performing. Something that is community based, independent and free of the dollar sign.
reddishblue
IE is free too, although I use Firefox, I actually think this is a good idea, with the mirror people will notice us, we will be far more popular, with more members and posts, it will increase our activity by tons if we can get Mozilla to put us down as an official mirror, however I do not support a whole forum for this, it is TOTALLY covered by other forums, unfortunately you have earned an OBJECTION! (Play some Phoenix Wright and you will get it)
Related topics
Oracle works quietly with Mozilla
*OFFICIAL* Which Browser do you use?
Verify your site's design on a mac (Safari, IE, Mozilla)
I have a problem....Mozilla Firefox
Spoofing in Mozilla ( FireFox) browser flaw
Mozilla plugs Thunderbird holes
Mozilla Firefox
Error when Mozilla is run
Alguien sabe como hacer una web que no se deforme en mozilla
monsite est visble avec explorer mais pas avec mozilla
Different View CSS Problem with Firefox, opera, IE , mozilla
How to Accelerate the Connection in Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla or Internet Explorer?
Mozilla vs IE
Mozilla para basýyor
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.