FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash Remembering Your Options

Do you want any information/preferences to be saved?
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
No
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Optional
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

ninjakannon
I'm currently making some Flash things for my website, as well as a prototype game (again, in Flash) and I have a simple question to ask: when you fill in, for example, your email address into a text box or perhaps enter your name in the name field of an online game, would you prefer it if next time you went to the same Flash application your entries had been saved?

This would involve storing a small amount of information onto your computer (a bit like a cookie does, except method does not use cookies). A lot of websites do this anyway, without you realising, but I've never seen things so obvious as a game username or email address being saved. Obviously, this would not be done for things like passwords or anything at all else confidential.

What are your thoughts?

In the poll, the "optional" option means that there would be an option within the Flash application to ask whether you wanted details to be saved.

PS. This is, in a way a design tip, however I could fit this topic into a few other forums - I hope this forum is suitable.
MrBlueSky
Sure, why not? It only makes your internet-experience more comfortable.
a_dubDesign
I've done a few things with the Flash Shared Object, and I always go for optional settings, mostly because of using public (or just shared) computers. I know when I'm at a different computer (school, library, etc.) where I'm not the only/main user, I want as little info about me on there as possible. I'll even put a little blurb about how saving the info on a public computer isn't recommended.
ninjakannon
a_dubDesign wrote:
I've done a few things with the Flash Shared Object, and I always go for optional settings, mostly because of using public (or just shared) computers. I know when I'm at a different computer (school, library, etc.) where I'm not the only/main user, I want as little info about me on there as possible. I'll even put a little blurb about how saving the info on a public computer isn't recommended.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the availability of public computers I would have implemented the Flash Shared Object without question. I think making saving optional is the best idea, in fact. I'd love more feedback though.

Thanks you two for your thoughts so far.
m-productions
yes, the sahredobject was the best thing in the world ... that is until i got a hang of php and msql!! I say go for it... SharedObjects are great! and you can make it so the user can choose if it rembers the data...thats not hard to do at all.

PS: there is only 3 votes for yes and 4 votes for optinial...I Clicked the wrong one... =)-
toughtrio
Yeah dude go for it with the optional choice. I have done that many times and it goes right without any hassle.

Warm Regards,
Dragate
Some people would hate it if you had that on and you are installing cookies, but some people might like your game then want to have cookies//some method of saving.

It should definatley be an option, and you shouldn't really consider putting it on as a definate thing.

I personally never enter high scores or anyting becuase i don't get addicted to flash games, but there are those people.

Definatly make it an option.
Insanity
I agree it shouldn't be imposed on people, because there is always the chance people are on public computers.
Telnven
Dragate wrote:
Some people would hate it if you had that on and you are installing cookies, but some people might like your game then want to have cookies//some method of saving.

It should definatley be an option, and you shouldn't really consider putting it on as a definate thing.

I personally never enter high scores or anyting becuase i don't get addicted to flash games, but there are those people.

Definatly make it an option.

I agree with Dragate you should definately consider having it as an option, for example Amazon use this technology to personalise the customer experience and look how popular they've become. Although I would be carefull about collecting inrelevent details.

Hope this post helped, best of luck,
ninjakannon
Telnven wrote:
Although I would be carefull about collecting inrelevent details.

Yeah, I'll be careful to store only the necessary information, not only because users might not want some details they enter to be remembered but also because I have to minimise the amount stored on their computer (for space issues - they may get uneasy if too much is saved from my website etc).

Thanks to you, Telnven, and everyone else who has voted and given their opinions so far! Very Happy
ninjakannon
Okay, this has been running long enough now.

I'm going to go with the 'optional' vote as it gives more choice to users and I can see that mostly people don't mind information being saved to their computer. After all, it's only a kilobyte or so.

Thanks to everyone who voted and posted!

If you're a moderator, I'd be obliged if you would close this now. Thank you. Very Happy