FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help! Can't access frih.net's port 2222!

Fire Boar
... which is a big problem, since I'm on server 2. I can access PHPMyAdmin, FTP port 21, and the actual site, but something seems to be stopping me from accessing port 2222, Direct Admin. It started yesterday (Sat 10th Feb) but I decided it might just have been down for a bit, so used FTP instead. But now, it's still not working so I checked the server status image, which says that DA is up.

Is there something blocking my IP?

Thanks in advance.
SpellcasterDX
Perhaps it's your firewall.
Fire Boar
It can't be. Firewalls block incoming things, not outgoing. Besides, I've never had a problem with it before, why would it start playing up now?
MrBlueSky
Fire Boar wrote:
It can't be. Firewalls block incoming things, not outgoing.

They block both.
Fire Boar
Not on the port used for everyday surfing they don't... and everything else on the internet is working. So it's not blocking that port.

That's why I think it's something on frihost's side. I've never had any trouble with it before, and there's no logical reason for me to expect it to be anything to do with my firewall.
MrBlueSky
Fire Boar wrote:
Not on the port used for everyday surfing they don't... and everything else on the internet is working. So it's not blocking that port.

That's why I think it's something on frihost's side. I've never had any trouble with it before, and there's no logical reason for me to expect it to be anything to do with my firewall.

Outgoing web traffic goes to port 80. Your computer uses other ports to connect to webservers (how else would it handle connections to multiple sites?). Type 'netstat -an' in a dos-box to see this.
When you connect to port 2222 on a server that has (from your firewall point of view) not much to do with normal webbrowsing.

But ontopic: if you changed nothing to your firewall configuration since you could connect, it has probably nothing to do with your firewall. Did you change other things? A windows update? New software?
Animal
Have you read How to access CPanel/DirectAdmin from behind a firewall?

Have you tried connecting from http://cp.frih.net ?

Do you get an error message? If so, what is it? Have you verified that you are using your correct username and password (remembering that these are not the same as your forum login details and that they are case-sensitive)?
Fire Boar
Hmm...

1) No, I haven't. I don't think it is the firewall, though. (I haven't got time to look at it now, I've got to go really soon.)

2) Not until now. I've just tried it and... woohoo! I can connect fine to cp.frih.net, no error messages on logging in. I guess I'll just use that. Thanks a lot!
Fire Boar
Alright, I've proved that it can't be my firewall. It's a hardware firewall, and I've set an exception to frihost's IP for port 2222 both incoming and outgoing. Same result. So it can't possibly be anything to do with my firewall. (And I do know what I'm doing. I did nothing wrong.)

I wouldn't mind, since I can just use http://cp.frih.net/ however, on cp.frih.net it is impossible to access and edit .htaccess files. Which is something I really do need to do.

This question is directed straight at Bondings, (or anyone else who can answer knowledgeably): on Saturday 10th of February, was my IP (84.51.154.107) or a range including my IP blocked from frih.net's Direct Admin panel? If so, could you please unblock my IP? (It's static.) I would appreciate it enormously.

Thanks.
Fire Boar
This is getting quite annoying.

- I can't edit, rename or remove .htaccess at all.
- I can't extract files from a tar.gz archive.

Luckily, by improvising, I have found a solution to both of these problems, but it's quite bothersome. I'm posting this mainly for the benefit of users who are having to use cp.frih.net like I am.

Problem 1:
Create a 1htaccess.html (the name doesn't matter - I use 1 so I can find it easily) in any places you want .htaccess. Use this file and save changes in there, then copy it or do a save as, making the new file named .htaccess. All edits will have to be done in 1htaccess.html, then copied after saving, so you'll always have two up-to-date copies of each .htaccess file. Not ideal, but it's the best I could come up with.

Problem 2:
Use WinRar to extract the archive on your own machine, then FTP it in with FireZilla (or a similar FTP client). It uses more upstream, but it's the only way.

Of course, the ideal is to be unblocked from server 2's IP filtering list. But having got no response from the main boss so...
Animal
Fire Boar wrote:
Of course, the ideal is to be unblocked from server 2's IP filtering list. But having got no response from the main boss so...

There's not any IP filtering (AFAIK) on the server at all, but the fact you can connect means that your IP is definitely not being rejected.

The problem is that cp.frih.net is a special version of DirectAdmin used to get around firewalls. This means that some features are restricted. I'm not sure why the .htaccess files can't be edited, but the inability to extract a ter.gz file on the network is probably due to the control panel's limited feature set.
Fire Boar
The thing that bothers me is that I have been able to connect perfectly to port 2222 without the proxy until 10/2/07. And I set an exception on port 2222 both TCP and UDP for frih.net's IP, but to no avail.

Anyway, I've decided that it's probably best if I just use the cp.frih.net proxy and improvise with what is available.