FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rats as pets

ludio_
I have a rat which used to belong to my daughter before she moved away from home. The rat is called Lizzy. She is a kind of grey/caramel colour.

Recently I was away from home for a while and expected someone to look after her but when I came home again she looked a bit neglected and thin. Everyone started feeding her almost every time they went past her cage. Now she is really fat. She is so big that I am worried that she might be sick, perhaps with a tumour or something.

However, she seems quite happy and her behaviour is very normal. She likes to come out of her cage and play and explore the other rooms in the house. She is good company.

jeanoradean
Rats can be really fun as pets. I used to have one when I was younger. It would climb between my clothes and come out of my sleeves. We also had a cat and it wouldn't even hurt the rat, it just stould there in front of him and looked at him...
ludio_
My experience with rats didn't start in such a friendly way. When I was at high school, my school was the breeding centre for lab rats for the surrounding area. I helped to look after the rats and was involved with selecting which rats to breed. Looking after the babies and so on was fun. At times we had as many as 200 rats.

The sad thing was that we also had to kill the mature rats and freeze them for transport to the other schools. This exposure to life and death taught me a few things such as having respect for living things and allowing dead things their dignity.

Happily, as far as I know, schools in Australia no longer include dissection in their biology courses.
SyncM
I never have liked rats likes pets a want big animals like dogs. but rats can be cute to. But you should stop feed the rat all the time its not very healty. Rats do not have any one will to stop eat.
ludio_
Quote:
...you should stop feed the rat all the time its not very healty. Rats do not have any one will to stop eat.

You are right. We only have one person feeding her now so that we can keep track of what she is eating and we are trying to give her some more exercise but she is not getting any smaller. This is why I am afraid that there is some more serious problem. She seems to still be getting bigger.

Actually, rats are quite good at choosing when to eat. When I was breeding rats (see previous post) they had access to food all the time and they did not get too fat, although the males did grow to a very big but healthy size.
KellaDayne
rets are really intelligent as pets!!! i've had a ret twice and they both were really funny and clever!

as for a problem of a fat rat, i would say, you should feed her with not so fat things (like cheese, or smth) serials would be great to make her feel better for a while... my rat was able to "walk" through the whole flat, so she had enough freedom and space to loose her weight Wink
ludio_
Quote:
you should feed her with not so fat things (like cheese,

My rat has never had any cheese or other dairy because it tends to upset their digestion. She has cereals and sometimes fruit like an apple core or a grape. She also likes sultanas. We make sure these are only offered as treats now and then. A millet stick, like the type you feed to birds, was also good but she took a couple of months to get through the last one.
Motoracer380
i dont think rat qualifies as your domestic house pet..no sir...its a rodent..things you dont want in your home.
ludio_
Quote:
its a rodent..things you dont want in your home

There are plenty of rodents that people keep as pets such as guinea pigs and rabbits. Rats are compact, smart and friendly and make great pets. Rabbits can be mean. I have been bitten by rabbits on a few occassions and it hurts! My rat is much easier to handle.
m_furquan36
Im sure rats may make great pets,they are small and compact and pretty smart..cute even,mayy get one soon Smile
Daisie
Ooooh Shocked I couldnt have a rat as a pet, I got "ratophobia", cant stand them. I wouldnt hurt them or anything (too darn scared to go near the beasty anyway) but no no no on having one.
But saying this, I got 2 guineapigs which is probably the same thing minus the tail... Rolling Eyes
jynxanims
I had a rat when I was younger. Very friendly and never bit anyone. I could let her run around the room without much supervision and she wouldn't chew anything up or anything. I had her for about 2 years. Then she died....yeah. Shocked
illegalhost
Goodness! Rats are not nice to look at... Why is so fun abt it?? LOL. No offense guys... But its quite ugly right?? HEHE. I dont think i would adopt rat as a pet dudes... too smelly and ugly for me.. haha.. again, no offense.. those with Rats as pets, hope u take good care of them cuz their droppings are really smelly... heard that they are toxic too, is that correct? Well, enjoy ur rats y'all!!
rheanna
Snake food... ;o) Twisted Evil
MrBlueSky
illegalhost wrote:
Goodness! Rats are not nice to look at...

That is a matter of personal taste, I guess.

Quote:

Why is so fun abt it??

They are more intelligent and responsive than other small pets (except ferrets). That makes them more fun.

Quote:
LOL. No offense guys... But its quite ugly right?? HEHE. I dont think i would adopt rat as a pet dudes... too smelly and ugly for me.. haha.. again, no offense.. those with Rats as pets, hope u take good care of them cuz their droppings are really smelly... heard that they are toxic too, is that correct? Well, enjoy ur rats y'all!!

I personally would never have a rat as pet, or any other small animal for that matter, but an ex girlfriend had 2 rats. They can be fun.
scrub
We have outdoor rats we call our pets, though I doubt they think of themselves that way. They just appreciate living around the chicken coop and scavenging the food the chickens miss!

We're hoping that when the rat babies start popping out this year that the chickens will eat some of them to keep our pet rats under control and give some extra protein to the chickens. We'll see!

Scrub
indeedwrestling
Rats are fantastic pets. Having a friend who can curl up on your shoulder, or run out and bite your enemies is a must in this day and age. I cannot imagine how successful our empire would be without a series of trained rats & pet rats to spend time with.
mistertomer
Im sure rats may make great pets,they are small and compact but i steal prefer a cat...
master12
Rats as pets... We had gerbils once which are the equivalence to a rat.

One day we had to go on a 4 week vacation and so we left the gerbil alot of food. Well he and his mate somehow got out of the cage and decided to roam the house. When we got back the floor was tinted black due to all the little poop pellets and the smell of pee was horrible...

Whats more, when we started looking for the gerbils we found them in the stove with a nest made of insulation and about 20 babies...

That was not a fun mess to clean up. So I wouldn't recommend a rat for a pet Very Happy
pashmina
I just hate rat. It gives me this allergic feeling when I see them ..
EEeeWW... it freaks me out..