FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are there any Pagans here? *NO OFFENCE to ANY RELIGION*

Master Yoda
What I would just like to know is that are there any people over here who don't believe in their own or any other religion? The term I'd prefer to use is Pagan (one who believes in God but not in religions), so let me rephrase my question. Are there any Pagans here?
And can you tell me as to why you are a Pagan?

PLEASE NO HATEFUL OR VIOLENT OR HUMILIATING CONTENT SHOULD BE POSTED HERE.

Sorry for the caps....
woundedhealer
This isn't a description of pagans. How on earth can somebody not believe in their own religion? If they don't belive in it, it isn't their religion.

Paganism is the indigenus religion of a country or nation.

I'm a Druid, which is a pagan religion. As to why, I just am. It's what I believe in and what I have studied and trained for, and am still learning and training as no matter what we do, we can always improve.
eggg
I think paganism more accurately refers to the nature-based religions which were once common among common agriculturalists. I think my beliefs would fall somewhere within a triangle formed by agnosticism, paganism, and Shinto...
Master Yoda
woundedhealer wrote:
This isn't a description of pagans. How on earth can somebody not believe in their own religion? If they don't belive in it, it isn't their religion.

Paganism is the indigenus religion of a country or nation.

I'm a Druid, which is a pagan religion. As to why, I just am. It's what I believe in and what I have studied and trained for, and am still learning and training as no matter what we do, we can always improve.

OK so my Dictionary was wrong about the meaning of Pagan.....
So I'll just put it this way, I have met many people, friends actually, who say that they don't believe in their own religion nor do they believe in others' religions.. and that they wanna stay completely neutral... I'm also one of them..

Although , yes, I myself am a Muslim but don't really believe in my own religion nor any other...
I just believe that there is one God and that there's no religion other than humanity.
jeanoradean
Master Yoda wrote:

Although , yes, I myself am a Muslim but don't really believe in my own religion nor any other...
I just believe that there is one God and that there's no religion other than humanity.

How can you be a muslim and just believe in one God and no religion then humanity? Isn't it true that to be a Muslim you must at least believe in Mohammed being Allah's prophet? You must even say that if you want to become a Muslim. Please correct me if I'm wrong after all, but this is what I was told...
woundedhealer
eggg wrote:
I think paganism more accurately refers to the nature-based religions which were once common among common agriculturalists

Paganism is nature-based religions. Naure-based religions are the indigenous religions of a nature. Think, for example Australian aboriginies, Native Americans, Northern European pagan religons. They are all the original religions of those places. Although here in Britain paganism went underground for hundreds of years, it was still being passed down within some families. Also more and more people are returning to their native religions, or to their ancestors native religions. (There are Druids all over the world).
[quote=Master Yoda]I myself am a Muslim but don't really believe in my own religion nor any other[/quote]
Is Muslim a nationality or a religion? Although I hear a lot about Muslims on the news, I'm not sure on this one.
nikki
Master Yoda wrote:

OK so my Dictionary was wrong about the meaning of Pagan.....
So I'll just put it this way, I have met many people, friends actually, who say that they don't believe in their own religion nor do they believe in others' religions.. and that they wanna stay completely neutral... I'm also one of them..

I believe what Master Yoda is trying to say here is that he/she was born into a family who follows the Muslim way.

Master Yoda however, despite being in a circle of Muslims, does not believe in Islam.

am I correct Yoda??
Master Yoda
Yes, nikki you're right... just that I didn't get the exact word for it... so I used pagan instead of the other word which I'm still unable to find Razz
The Conspirator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan
Quote:
Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "a country dweller" or "civilian") is a term which, from a western christian perspective, has come to connote a broad set of spiritual or religious beliefs and practices of natural or polytheistic religions. The term can be defined broadly, to encompass many or most of the faith traditions outside the Abrahamic monotheistic group of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. This group may include some of the Dharmic religions, which incorporate seemingly pagan characteristics like nature-veneration, icon-veneration, polytheism and reverence of female deities, and are thus diametrically opposite to the Abrahamic faiths. Ethnologists avoid the term "paganism", with its uncertain and varied meanings, in referring to traditional or historic faiths, preferring more precise categories such as shamanism, polytheism, or animism. The term is also used to describe earth-based Native American religions and mythologies, though few Native Americans call themselves or their cultures "pagan". Historically, the term "pagan" has usually had pejorative connotations among westerners, comparable to heathen, infidel, and mushrik and kafir (كافر) in Islam. In modern times, though, the words "pagan" or "paganism" have become widely and openly used by some practitioners of certain spiritual paths outside the Abrahamic and Dharmic religious mainstream to describe their beliefs, practices, and organized movements.[1]

So it can be used as meaning non arabic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Bahá'í Faith) or non arabic and Dharmic (Hinduism, Buddhism, Janism, Sikhism) religions. Or can be used as meaning nature based religions or indigenous religions.
Many Pagans in the west today are Neo-Pagan
Master Yoda
The Conspirator wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan
Quote:
Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "a country dweller" or "civilian") is a term which, from a western christian perspective, has come to connote a broad set of spiritual or religious beliefs and practices of natural or polytheistic religions. The term can be defined broadly, to encompass many or most of the faith traditions outside the Abrahamic monotheistic group of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. This group may include some of the Dharmic religions, which incorporate seemingly pagan characteristics like nature-veneration, icon-veneration, polytheism and reverence of female deities, and are thus diametrically opposite to the Abrahamic faiths. Ethnologists avoid the term "paganism", with its uncertain and varied meanings, in referring to traditional or historic faiths, preferring more precise categories such as shamanism, polytheism, or animism. The term is also used to describe earth-based Native American religions and mythologies, though few Native Americans call themselves or their cultures "pagan". Historically, the term "pagan" has usually had pejorative connotations among westerners, comparable to heathen, infidel, and mushrik and kafir (كافر) in Islam. In modern times, though, the words "pagan" or "paganism" have become widely and openly used by some practitioners of certain spiritual paths outside the Abrahamic and Dharmic religious mainstream to describe their beliefs, practices, and organized movements.[1]

So it can be used as meaning non arabic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Bahá'í Faith) or non arabic and Dharmic (Hinduism, Buddhism, Janism, Sikhism) religions. Or can be used as meaning nature based religions or indigenous religions.
Many Pagans in the west today are Neo-Pagan

Thanks a lot for the info... but yes, I would really like to know if there's someone here who doesn't believe in the world's religions....
iZen
I'm having a bit of an issue with this. First, STOP USING WIKI! Wiki is an encyclopedia, which is to be used only for tangible and earthly things. You cannot in any way, shape or form, PROVE a religion correct or incorrect. Also, the term Pagan can be interpreted in tons of ways. I consider a Pagan someone who is polytheistic. Now as for someone who believes in God but not a religion. I consider them Agnostic. These are all just words, and words can be defined in however you wish to define them. Tommorow I shall call a doughnut, a muffin! lol.
The Conspirator
iZen wrote:
I'm having a bit of an issue with this. First, STOP USING WIKI!

Find a more reliable, free source with an abundances of available information.
Quote:
Wiki is an encyclopedia,

No, its not an encyclopedia, it called it self that, it wonts to be that but cause its a wiki it can't be, you can't have an encyclopedia that anyone can edit. A more accurate decryption would a an information database.

Quote:
which is to be used only for tangible and earthly things. You cannot in any way, shape or form, PROVE a religion correct or incorrect.

Who's trying to prove it correct?! The only people who I've ever seen trying to prove there religion correct is the Christens. I've never seen a pagan trying to prove there religion correct. And I'm an atheist, I don't believe in any god what so ever so I'm the last person to go to to [rove a religion.
I was posting information about paganism and what it is.
woundedhealer
As a Pagan, I would agree with the WIKI definition.

Quote:
Who's trying to prove it correct?! The only people who I've ever seen trying to prove there religion correct is the Christens. I've never seen a pagan trying to prove there religion correct. And I'm an atheist, I don't believe in any god what so ever so I'm the last person to go to to [rove a religion.
I was posting information about paganism and what it is.

No pagan would try and prove their religion correct, it isn't our way. We respect other people and their religion. I attend a Pagan moot (meeting) once a month. I'm a Druid, as are 3 others, some are witches, some Wiccan, some just call themselves Pagan. We debate a different subject each month. We may have slightly different points of view, but we listen to what everyone has to say, we learn from each other, but most important of all, we respect each other.

I believe an atheist is someone who isn't sure whether they believe in a God or not. As for someone who believes in a God, but not religion, why should there have to be a label?
Deuc
The reason for labeling is to give a general idea or close approximation of what someone believes or holds to as a core set of morals etc.

Take for example the label, "Nazi". How about "pedophile". Both of these labels help elucidate a belief system or actions.

The point is that it's nice to know who and what you are dealing with in your associations with people. I have no problems with labeling as long as you are right on the mark with the label.

I mean don't call someone a Wican if they aren't what the typical Wican is. What I find sad is that Christianity is NEVER told to PROVE, only to proclaim. Christ needs no defense or "proving". But other religions also do this. Don't forget Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormon, Muslims who breed out and kill those who won't convert, Christians who kill those who don't convert, etc.

I wonder why Pagan "moot" for their meetings. Though the word has roots of "meeting" it also means obsolete, of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic. Not sure I would want to meet and call it "of little or no practical value". Just my thoughts!
woundedhealer
Quote:
I wonder why Pagan "moot" for their meetings. Though the word has roots of "meeting" it also means obsolete, of little or no practical value

This isn't exactly true. One definition of moot is to discuss, debate, as well as a meeting.

Law students practice by debating hypothetical cases. As the cases are invented, and so have no practical use, a moot point, is wrongly thought to mean having no practical value, whereas in this case it really means debating a hypothetical point.

So, a Pagan moot can be a meeting and/or a topic which is debated.
Shike
Master Yoda,

To answer your original question, Yes, I spent most of my life ensconsced in a religious tradition to which I did not subscribe. If you don't believe in a particular religion than you can honestly say you are not of that religion. I was raised Lutheran but now follow a druidic path, so I consider my self a neo-pagan (here I use the term to designate anything that is not christian, jewish, or islam).

If you truly feel "uncomfortable" in your family's faith I would suggest doing some research into the worlds religions and other spiritual traditions and find what feels "right" to you. I would say the best way to tell if something is right for you is it feels like you are coming home when you "find" it.
woundedhealer
Quote:
I would say the best way to tell if something is right for you is it feels like you are coming home when you "find" it.

That is so true. I believe your religion should fit in with your own beliefs. I've always been Pagan, even as a child. I had some foster parents who were Christians, and their religion made me feel so uncomfortable.

When I became old enough to choose for myself I began training as a Druid.

Pagan children are freely allowed to choose their own religion.