FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think about Python ?

rungroj
I read some web . They said that Python is a powerfull programing language .
who can give me idea.
MrBlueSky
Not more or less powerfull than other languages. The problem with python is: if you learn it as your first programming language you can start from scratch with your second one because python has a lot non-standard syntax and language features.

(The same holds true for some other languages, for example Ruby)
turbowolf
This depends on your request. There are mainly three script programming languages for linux users: Perl, Python and Ruby.

I suggest Perl if you only need to do some administration job under linux environment. But its grammer is curious and hard to understand.

The grammer of Ruby and Python is graceful and easy to understand. If you need to write some web programs, you can use ruby. Because it has a killer application: Ruby on Rails. Otherwise you can use Python. Because it is much more mature than Ruby.

rungroj wrote:
I read some web . They said that Python is a powerfull programing language .
who can give me idea.
qscomputing
Perl is nice if you are an experienced programmer and know exactly what you are doing. Yes, its grammar is strange and takes some getting used to, but it is nice.

Ruby is still not widely-supported on servers, but from what I've heard about it, it's also a nice language.

Python is nice as well; people complain about the way indentation is significant to Python. It's really not an issue at all, however.

What programming languages aren't nice? C. Smile
Commando_Sondre
I like Python, but I manily use Common LISP for programming. However, Python is very good to use if you are building a lightweight-program og something that isn't enormus. If you wan't to learn to program, Python is a good start.
WickedGravity
I normally use Python if I am interacting with a web based API. I use it extensively in my Sitemap generators for Google and Yahoo and I have a blast with it when i am messing around with Flickr and even Pandora.
turbowolf
hey, my friend. C is the basis of almost all of the programming language including C++, JAVA, C#, Perl, PHP. It's simple, it's powerful. It's a structural language, not a object oriented one. But you can't say it's not a nice language. Shocked

qscomputing wrote:
Perl is nice if you are an experienced programmer and know exactly what you are doing. Yes, its grammar is strange and takes some getting used to, but it is nice.

Ruby is still not widely-supported on servers, but from what I've heard about it, it's also a nice language.

Python is nice as well; people complain about the way indentation is significant to Python. It's really not an issue at all, however.

What programming languages aren't nice? C. Smile
kiranaghor
Most people think og Python as easy to learn and forgiving language. It appears that when they come to know about Ruby and Ruby on Rails framework, they make the switch. Ruby is really good.
turbowolf
Ruby is really good. But it keeps away from most of the people until the appear of Ruby on Rails. Ruby on Rails is the killer application of Ruby. The users of Ruby increase sharply after the appear of RoR. Python is graceful and powerful. The problem of Python is that it lacks of killer applications.

kiranaghor wrote:
Most people think og Python as easy to learn and forgiving language. It appears that when they come to know about Ruby and Ruby on Rails framework, they make the switch. Ruby is really good.
Jaan
Python is pretty hard to learn.
I'd recommend Delphi as a start programming language.
qscomputing
turbowolf wrote:
hey, my friend. C is the basis of almost all of the programming language including C++, JAVA, C#, Perl, PHP. It's simple, it's powerful. It's a structural language, not a object oriented one. But you can't say it's not a nice language. Shocked

OK, I didn't quite mean it like that. I meant that pure C on its own is not a nice language, because it is far too easy to shoot oneself in the foot. It certainly has nice elements that are used in other languages (including those you mentioned), but I find that pure C is not a nice language for the programmer.
turbowolf
I don't think so. Yes, the pure C will make beginner confused. Especially its pointer, such as function pointer, will ruin the whole project in a beginner's hands. But I must emphasis that C only becomes dangerous in beginner's hands. For an expert, C is powerful and simple. much simpler than C++ and something else.

Some "modern" language is also very vulnerable in beginner's hands. Take RUBY for example, it's very easy for us to inject some codes via block. But no one say that RUBY is a bad language. That's it. That's the life and that's the world. We always need to make a compromise. select a middle way between safety and efficiency.

qscomputing wrote:
turbowolf wrote:

OK, I didn't quite mean it like that. I meant that pure C on its own is not a nice language, because it is far too easy to shoot oneself in the foot. It certainly has nice elements that are used in other languages (including those you mentioned), but I find that pure C is not a nice language for the programmer.