FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Books with sad endings.

imera
When you first start reading a book you get a connection to the characters, you feel like you almost know them. And during the book there is things that might happen to the character, witch can make you sad, angry or even happy. But it always ends good for the main characters, it’s almost like a rule in books.
And if other characters that has gotten an important part in the books dies you will react like they were the main characters. (my ex didn’t want to read the rest of a series because one of the characters that he loved died)
This far I’m not sure if there is any books I have read where it doesn’t end good, in any way for the main character. I wouldn’t mind reading the sad books, because in the reality the good doesn’t always win.

What I do want to know is has anybody read books with a sad ending?? I would love to know it because I want to read something that isn’t happily ever after.
evanc88
1984, by George Orwell
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
The Stranger, by Albert Camus
TurtleShell
The Once and Future King, TH White
imera
thanks, I will be sure to read them all, just need to find them at first.
I guess that I will surely cry by reading these books, I'm such a cry baby sometimes.

If there is others that knows about books that is sad, even if the ending might not be so sad, happy even tell me, I want to read sad books, I am a bit sick of only happy endings Smile
emshlem
i know this might be to late but there are these books that i fell in love with and every one of them has sad endings :D i love sad books to but here are the books names and the athor

burned
crank
glass
impulse
identical
all are by elen hopkin and i loved all her books
Nutteloos
I love what Steven King did in his Dark Tower series. Before the epilogue there's the ending for people who might not enjoy the 'real ending'. He encourages people who liked the ending the way it was up to that point, to just stop reading. Of course nobody does this...
georgeodowd
I find that in my pet genre there are often some pretty heart-breaking endings.

In particular:

At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill
As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann

Both exemplary works of fiction, but both bound to leave you feeling rather morose for a good long while afterwards.
imera
I posted this for soon two years ago, good to see some new books on the list Very Happy

Unfortiounutly I'm stuffed up to my neck with things to do but when I find some time I'll check out some of the books Very Happy
ddukki
My favorite book with a sad ending was Of Mice and Men. Such a beautifully written book, and heartwrenching at the end.
Crazy_Canuck
The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
A Mercy, Toni Morrison
Sophie's Choice, William Styron
The Stone Angel, Margaret Lawrence

I could cite oodles more ...
crimson_aria
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

that book made me weep so much towards the end. as for the ending itself, it was sad and sweet, for me. both feelings. it's actually my favorite ending.

Atonement by Ian McEwan.
The-Nisk
Well the best ending to any story I have ever read was in the end of His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. It's just epic, probably the best ending in any book ever, it invokes sadness on a whole new level.

P.S. First book sucks, but you have to read it, second book gets better, third book blows the whole story out of the water. It's just awesome.
blk3
ddukki wrote:
My favorite book with a sad ending was Of Mice and Men. Such a beautifully written book, and heartwrenching at the end.

Yes, I remembered reading this as a kid, totally agreed with you.
mejo1900
A lot of really famous literature from over the years have sad endings. Also...I think they are making a movie out of this book : the boy in the stripped pajamas. It has a super sad ending, but I dont suggest reading it unless you are willing to have it stick with you for a long time.

I don't think you should hate too much on happy endings...there is enough of that sadness in real life.
The-Nisk
mejo1900 wrote:
A lot of really famous literature from over the years have sad endings. Also...I think they are making a movie out of this book : the boy in the stripped pajamas. It has a super sad ending, but I dont suggest reading it unless you are willing to have it stick with you for a long time.

I don't think you should hate too much on happy endings...there is enough of that sadness in real life.

hence why the literature with happy endings seems highly unrealistic, fairy tale like and damn right boring.
fridaywarning
the bartimaeus trilogy - it reminded me of why i love reading so much.
Radar
Yeah, I was going to say 1984 - didn't realise that it wasn't a happily ever after book until the last moment. Assume the main character was going to win against all the odds (I'm trying to speak generally for those who haven't read it), but no.

I'm tempted to say Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, but that's more of a moral sad ending than an external world sad ending.
f00lishhhh
Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck) left me with tears in my eyes!
sondosia
Gone With the Wind has a really sad and unexpected ending (at least for me, since I hadn't known how it would end Razz). Even though it basically made me doubt the whole notion of love for a while, I still loved it.
dawndibear
If you don't have time for a whole book, why not try the short story called "Flowers for Algernon"? It has a lovely, sad ending.
tdezellem
It really depends upon your taste in literature. If you like love stories and romantic themes but want something a little on the sad side, try books by Daniel Steele as they do not always end happily, the do not follow a formula type love story format, particularly her book The Gift. Also try the book 3 Wishes by Barbara Delinsky.
TurtleShell
crimson_aria wrote:
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

that book made me weep so much towards the end. as for the ending itself, it was sad and sweet, for me. both feelings. it's actually my favorite ending.

Atonement by Ian McEwan.

oh yeah--that's really sad too. But the Once and Future King just about kills me. I almost cry every time I read that book, and it's one of the few I've read more than once in my adult life. If I could fix it for King Arthur, I would. I really would.
georgeodowd
Sarah Waters' latest book, The Little Stranger. It actually has a sort of pervasively melancholy air to its entirety. Highly recommend it, it's just lovely.
fridaywarning
oh, and another one: the mists of avalon. it's not really an ending that makes you cry, but it is sad.
TurtleShell
I've always wanted to read the Mists of Avalon.
hangnhu
warning, spoiler!!!!

The High Lord, I cried for a week
it not fair, I wish someone could heal him
georgeodowd
Affinity by Sarah Waters has a pretty tragic ending - for some of the characters. It's a fabulous read though.[/u]
kutekitten
mejo1900 wrote:

I couldn't even cry at the end of that one, I just sat there with my mouth hanging open and felt my heart rip open at the seams. I then had to study for my history exam, I couldn't even read the part about the holocaust without crying Sad

The ones that make me cry are definitely the Ellen Hopkin books, I cry every time, but I'm hooked for life.

Sad endings truly are more interesting, I love them, but I can only take so many at once Smile
lamp_abi
Chronicles of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez. I think my heart was cringing while reading the latter part of the book.
loyal
I don't know why you'd want to read a book with a sad ending. I hate it when it ends badly! Although, it's true that it leaves a much stronger impression and makes you think about it more. I'd also recommend 1984 by george orwell. It's definitely a good book.

Peace.
kutekitten
In my english class, we are required to read three books. I've never seen a more depressing book list.

We started with Flowers for Algernon. Not really the worst ending, but that he knew what he had lost and knew that he had once been smart made it really depressing.

Second was Of Mice and Men. I cried in class, I absolutely fell in love with Lennie by the end, too sad to even recommend, totally have you into the world of Lennie and George by the end and it's only a little over 100 pages!

And we finished off with Macbeth. One of Shakespeare's 4 greatest tragedies. To sum it up, I think there were only two people left who were actually alive by the end of the book.

They just decided to get it all over with I guess... Anyways, I would not recommend these books to anyone, especially not all together, too much heart break.
loyal
kutekitten wrote:

Second was Of Mice and Men. I cried in class, I absolutely fell in love with Lennie by the end, too sad to even recommend, totally have you into the world of Lennie and George by the end and it's only a little over 100 pages!

Oh I remember that book. I had to analyse it for my english class. Quite a good read and very interesting depths to the book, but sadly it does indeed end quite sadly.

Peace.
JessieF
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - a classic. Everyone I know who has read this has also cried. I had seen the movie before reading the book, and thought "pfft, this won't make me cry". I was wrong. Laughing
loyal
Does anyone remember the episode of Friends where we find out that Joey doesn't like reading books with bad endings? If he begins to read one and it starts going bad, he deals with it by putting the book in the freezer. Funny episode lol Razz

Peace.