FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

global warming

Nerdlings
What is your take on this subject? I think that it's a very controversial one, but I have to agree that's it is not one of our top prioties right now. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Earth has only warmed 1 degree Celcius in a century, unlike the computer models. Also, we have methods of taking carbon dixoide out of the air, such as making it solid. We can wait on global warming, but we cannot wait on things like poverty, Iran getting nuclear weapons, and AIDS.
Handermier
I personally believe that global warming is just people looking at a piece of the puzzle and not the whole thing. Yes, the Earth does warm. Yes, the ice capes do melt slightly. That isn't all. It is going through a cycle. A new ice age will be ushered in long after we have died. And the process will repeat.

But then again, why worry about global warming. I think they have associated global warming to all these problems (pollution, toxics, etc.) is to give people a armegeddon effect on using them. Yes, I agree that these things should stop so we aren't destroying the Earth by poisioning it. Not heating it up.

Just my two cents.

-Handermier
The Conspirator
Come on people! There is already a thread on this,one with many pages where every thing has been said on it.
vervaeke
I love An inconvenient truth. I think it's awesome that it won best doc, but it shouldn't have. The movie itself took no effort. Just film his presentation. But it's super important and I'm glad it got the recognition.
darknight985
sure, i mean man kind is just messing up the earth and stuff, but then again, the earth has survived for billions of years. Humans are just speeding up the proccess of the earth slowly dieing. Im not a crazy treehugger but i thnk we should do more. Crying or Very sad
ravenbsp
The earth obviously has gone through many freeze thaw cycles in the past. Are we helping to accelerate it? Maybe, even probably. How we pull this off without destroying the global socio-ecconomic fabric is more difficult.
otiscom
Man will probaly destroy his own kind, but not the planet!

After we are extinc give it thousand years or so and nature will reclaim all the crap we made and the earth and remaining animals will live in peace, until the next time !
Insanity
It's true that there has been ice ages in the past, and over several hundreds of thousands of years there have been increases and decreases in temperatures as well as many different ice ages in different period of time. But if you look at some of the graphs detailing the temperatures of the past several hundred years (yes, there is data for this), you can see that within the past couple decades, there has been an unprecedented increase in temperature, even when compared to the past several centuries.
iNs@nE
the guy does have a point there...

and here is the official proof for global warming..!! Very Happy

iZen
Global warming is a natural occurrence that will happen no matter what. All we are doing with Carbon Monoxide and other gases, is speeding up the process. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely something we can do about it. But, there is no way to completely stop it. If we were too cut down on emissions and such that would slow down the process of global warming without a doubt.
chastise
It has warmed up by 20 Degree Celcius in the Arctic Regions.
Polar bears are drowning because the ice is in poor condition, and pieces of ice aren't where they use to be, they've slowly shifted or melted. Whales that usually migrate to colder regions for the season, stay there longer because the water is getting warmer. The longer they stay, the more food they will eat from that area. The animals that normally eat that, won't have enough food, and they will die. The animals that eat those animals will be affected too because of that, and so on.
abhiz
Global warming
it's nothing to worry i feel everything is well planned.
if somewhere the ice are melting then somewhere there will be a place where ice are being made.
Gagnar The Unruly
If any of you haven't read this topic, I would recommend it:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-68518.html
eggg
abhiz wrote:
Global warming
it's nothing to worry i feel everything is well planned.
if somewhere the ice are melting then somewhere there will be a place where ice are being made.

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. If ice is melting at the poles, the coldest places on earth, where is there a place cold enough for it to reform? There isn't one!
abhiz
eggg wrote:

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. If ice is melting at the poles, the coldest places on earth, where is there a place cold enough for it to reform? There isn't one!

hi why are you so much serious
if no where it least in our heart the ice will be form
just kidding bye
c u
fx-trading-education
I think that global warming is maybe one of the biggest issue of our times because it is impossible to stop this increase in a few years. It will take at the best decades.
I think that the countries that are polluting the most will take action only when the cost of not taking action will be higher than the cost of doing something.
For the moment it costs less to do nothing. But the increase in climatologic problems (hurricanes, tsunamis...) and the increase of desertification / health problems may make them react.
Moonspider
fx-trading-education wrote:
I think that global warming is maybe one of the biggest issue of our times because it is impossible to stop this increase in a few years. It will take at the best decades.
I think that the countries that are polluting the most will take action only when the cost of not taking action will be higher than the cost of doing something.
For the moment it costs less to do nothing. But the increase in climatologic problems (hurricanes, tsunamis...) and the increase of desertification / health problems may make them react.

Hurricanes? As I recall, no experts on tropical weather blamed global warming for the bad hurricane season of 2005 any more than they blamed it for the very mild Atlantic hurricane season of 2006. In fact, when people such as Al Gore started pointing at Katrina and that rough season as global warming evidence, it was those experts that said global warming had nothing to do with it.

Tsunamis? Those are caused by earthquakes. Nothing whatsoever to do with global warming.

Desertification and health problems can be related. But global cooling actually causes more problems in that regard (historically) than warming. Anthropological history shows that humans thrived during warming periods and then suffered more during coolings. But you're right, that may not be the case this time around.

That being said, some deserts (i.e. the Sahara) come and go as the Earth wobbles.

Respectfully,
M
Gagnar The Unruly
I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but I think the role of global warming storm production is a sort of controversial topic. It's frustrating, in a way, that the public has latched onto this as a consequence of global warming, because it's so difficult to demonstrate. Conversely, many other side effects, such as biodiversity loss, are no-brainers! But I digress..

From what I've read, it seems like scientists are predicting an increase in storm intensity, but not frequency, as a result of global warming. This is based on things like increased sea surface temperatures and a decrease in wind shear.

We know that sea surface temperatures are getting stronger, and wind shear may be decreasing. We also know that those factors correlate with hurricane intensity, and we can predict hurricane intensity based on these factors. We also know that hurricane intensity is increasing, and global warming models predict increases in sea surface temperatures and decreases in wind shear.

Scientists may still not be ready to say for sure that there's a causal relationship, and to what degree it is influenced by global warming, but there's good reason to believe that global warming will increase tropical storm intensity. This is reflected in the IPCC's recent report.

That said, it's a bit of a reach to say that any particular storm was intensified by global warming. Katrina was definitely strengthened by unusually high temperatures. Those temperatures could certainly exist in a non-global-warming climate, but they are also much more likely to exist as a result of global warming.
The Conspirator

I agree with Moonspider on this. Though global warming is real theres no evidence that the increasingly worse storm seasons are cause by it, it could very well be but it also could not be.
secondeye
YA its True global Warming is Increasing Day by Day, today in Karachi Pakisatn the Wheather Is Approx 45 degree celcius.

Well Global warming is not a "top-tier" issue.it is observed that increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans in recent decades and its projected continuation. and this cause sudden Changes in nature. An increase in global temperatures can in turn cause other changes, including the flooding of coastal cities, reduction in agricultural yields through changes in the amount and pattern of precipitation, increases in the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events, glacier retreat, reduced summer streamflows, species extinctions and increases in the ranges of disease vectors.

So pray to Almighty Not to increase more global warming OtherWise Our world will be Under Water... Crying or Very sad Confused
TheMatrixHasYou
I think that we are in big trouble in the coming 50 years!
Gagnar The Unruly
secondeye wrote:
So pray to Almighty Not to increase more global warming OtherWise Our world will be Under Water... Crying or Very sad Confused

Please don't stop at prayer! Humans have created this problem, and we can take responsibility to fix it as well!
SyncM
Global warming i s coming but it can really speeds upp if Grenlads ice is melting it will realles more CO2 and if the siberan tundran start defrosting realles metan and it willt be really bad it will speed up the process a lot.
mutouren
I find the temprature grows fast
when I was young
it was very could winter
but now it's so worm
I see some files shows CH4 is more harmful than carbon dixoide
now the enviroment of the world becomes worse and worse
everything
the most lack of fresh water
and more disaster
maybe we can do something provent this
or we couldn't live on the earth anymore
DeFwh
Focus Global Warming is wasteful if were just sitting saying the temperture is rising every century. Except that when everyone talks about global warming things like combustibles come into play.

Its important to realize the effects of global warming but as long as we advance towards cleaner methods of combustion and fund research into things such as hydrogen fuels, and cold fusion the earths temperature should stabilize.

I am not completely sure about this but I believe war to be the main cause of so much warming. Bombs especially emit heat into the air in mass amounts like a fire at a campsite. If we continue to use high yeild explosives we are essentially heating the Earth. Nuclear bombs especially radiate so much heat even if you weren't sizzled in the explosion people for 100 or more miles around would feel instant heat waves.
Mannix
Global Warming.. ...Well.... Folks tend to blame it on Carbon Dioxide emissions, excluding the impact of water vapor, methane, or R134a... ...It's pretty funny really. ...Except when you think how badly the economy will suffer as a result of the rising prices for electricity.

...Strange thing... ...The natural gas companies recently funded a campain, "Face it Coal is Filthy"... ...Coal-generated electricity is much cheaper than natural gas or oil-fired electricity. ...And the USA has much more coal available. ...Both in the lifetime of the fuel, and in comparison to other countries. ...I fear that the drive behind the fanaticism relating to Global Warming is to get money for Environmental Special Interest Groups... ...Help politicians exert political control while looking good... ...And to help other people who can get rich off of the notion, like the natural gas companies.

...CO2 is a naturally-occuring emission, and is readily taken in as FOOD by plants. ...Why we have this fanaticism is beside me. ...Scientists have already shown that there is a better correlation between incoming light/radiation from stellar sources than the CO2 emissions... ...Yet noone hears it.

...The "hockey stick" model I was raised on has been proved false. ...Otherwise Manhattan and Holland would be swimming right now... ...Yet these people are willing to have MILLIONS of jobs lost so that natural-gas can get a leg up. ...For the relatively small amounts that are actually available... ...Funny thing, Natural Gas emits CO2 as well.... ...Why doesn't it matter? ...Somehow, they have already received special exception from the government for their emissions....

...I wonder what will happen with Solar electricity too.... ....If we decrease the albedo of the planet, and trap more energy, won't that increase the planet's temperature too?

....Personally, I feel this is a big trap so rich people, like Al Gore (with his huge electricity-sucking mansion), can line their pockets. ...At the obvious expense of the everyday American. ...And there's nothing we can do to stop it... ...It really seems that so many people have fully bought the idea that CO2 emissions are going to destroy the planet!
fx-trading-education
The Conspirator wrote:

I agree with Moonspider on this. Though global warming is real theres no evidence that the increasingly worse storm seasons are cause by it, it could very well be but it also could not be.

Maybe, but then what to do? Just watch the storm season being worse and just say as long as nothing is proved we don't do anything.
That is in my opinion the best way to let the things going worse (personaly I don't live in a "stormy" area but I think people living in these areas should care)
Bikerman
Mannix wrote:
Global Warming.. ...Well.... Folks tend to blame it on Carbon Dioxide emissions, excluding the impact of water vapor, methane, or R134a... ...It's pretty funny really. ...Except when you think how badly the economy will suffer as a result of the rising prices for electricity. ...
I don't think that many serious commentators ignore the effects you mention, even if the occasional poster might do so..
Mannix wrote:
CO2 is a naturally-occuring emission, and is readily taken in as FOOD by plants. ...Why we have this fanaticism is beside me. ...Scientists have already shown that there is a better correlation between incoming light/radiation from stellar sources than the CO2 emissions... ...Yet noone hears it.
Can you provide any references to the papers or statistics concerned? I would like to look at such correlations.
In general terms, yes, CO2 is 'natural' (I am never quite sure of how we define 'natural') and it is used by plants as part of photosynthesis. That does not, however, say anything about the issue at hand.
Mannix wrote:
....Personally, I feel this is a big trap so rich people, like Al Gore (with his huge electricity-sucking mansion), can line their pockets. ...At the obvious expense of the everyday American. ...And there's nothing we can do to stop it... ...It really seems that so many people have fully bought the idea that CO2 emissions are going to destroy the planet!

On Al Gore ... I'd like to see some evidence for the claim he is being disingenuous about the issue...I am not aware of any, though I am certainly not very well informed on that issue.
On people buying into the general issue - those people include most of the professionals in the field - climatologists, meteorologists etc. I applaud the warning about the fallacy of 'ad populum' (in other words the majority CAN be wrong and often are), but I think the opinions of experts in a particular field should be given proper weight when considering issues in that field. There are certainly opponents, but I think it is fair to say that the great majority of scientists support the idea of AGW (Anthropomorphic Global Warming - ie cause by man).
The following links might be useful starting points for anyone wishing further reading on the matter. I include links to sceptical sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/
http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/sci_tech/2000/climate_change/1017204.stm
Nerdlings
Yea I agree with Chris after reading this article
http://www.usmansworld.com/?p=8#more-8
Check it out guys, it talks about how environmentalists over exaggerate global warming and what's more important than global warming itself. After we dissolve AIDS, poverty, and avoid nuclear war we can focus on global warming
secondeye
yeah Its Too ahrd to say when It gona Slow down.. and it must be slow Othetr wise we will be Sink Over Big big Oceans. Well Global warming is not a "top-tier" issue.it is observed that increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans in recent decades and its projected continuation. and this cause sudden Changes in nature. An increase in global temperatures can in turn cause other changes, including the flooding of coastal cities, reduction in agricultural yields through changes in the amount and pattern of precipitation, increases in the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events, glacier retreat, reduced summer streamflows, species extinctions and increases in the ranges of disease vectors.
Aaah theres a summer season in Pakistan, and today wheather condition is:

85F
(29C)
Mostly Clear
Rel. Humidity: 43%
Wind: SSE at 5 mph (8 km/h)
Sunrise: 5:53 AM
Sunset: 7:04 PM
Barometric Pressure: "Hg (F)

only 29 degree celcius and we are oven hot here... Aah Just imaging our country when Its increased to 50 degree celcius... Its really hard to imaguine Over sitting there. Only we know about Ourselves.
et-configs
Handermier wrote:
I personally believe that global warming is just people looking at a piece of the puzzle and not the whole thing. Yes, the Earth does warm. Yes, the ice capes do melt slightly. That isn't all. It is going through a cycle. A new ice age will be ushered in long after we have died. And the process will repeat.

But then again, why worry about global warming. I think they have associated global warming to all these problems (pollution, toxics, etc.) is to give people a armegeddon effect on using them. Yes, I agree that these things should stop so we aren't destroying the Earth by poisioning it. Not heating it up.

Just my two cents.

-Handermier

I completely agree.. My father researches this bull.. He says global warming was happening before the Combustion engine was made. So thats a fact that its not man made.

People complain about all the co2. Well if you all really care go kill yourselves.. *not to be mean* its because when you breath you release CO2 out of your mouth.

In the 60's they called it Global Cooling. The SAME people who call it global warming today.

Not to long ago they had to cancel a global warming meeting in washington because it was snowed out!

Yes its a cycle in the Earth. There is such Thing as global warming yes. But! Its not that bad.. The people who feed you this stuff just want to make you scared.

The Icebergs aren't melting. They are freezing under the water. They dont show you that the North Pole is fullll of ice! I dont know why people ever can believe this stuff..

The older generation doesn't believe in it as much because they had to live through the lies of global cooling.

People need to know this is a scam and they are trying to scare you. Global Warming has been around before The Automobile, power plants, deoderant spray.

The Enviromental Wackos' said that when we used aerosal spray cans that it hurts the ozone and is tearing it apart.

Well recent study shows that the ozone is re-building itself all the time!

Now because of this new fact those other wackos say that the ozone will rebuild itself too much and cause us all to die because of global warming!

Maybe when some of you get older and more wiser and watch the facts and not this phony stuff al gore gives you.

FACT:

AL GORES MOVIE

Not 1 person he quoted had any type of degree in Weather, enviromental issues, space, or anything... it was just what people thought. It had no realistic parts..

FACT:

Al Gores Movie:

All those charts and stuff with the ice glatiors were taken during the spring. hmm??

Theres my 2 cents Laughing
Gagnar The Unruly
et-configs wrote:
In the 60's they called it Global Cooling. The SAME people who call it global warming today.

The world did actually cool for a period of time during the 50's and 60's. The reasons for this were unclear to scientists at the time, and while there was some concern among scientists, there was no general alarm. In fact, scientists were beginning to understand that some factors, such as increased atmospheric CO2, could actually cause global temperature increse. Note that it wasn't until 1961, when Dr. Keeling's landmark "Keeling Curve" was published, that scientists even realized that certain global characteristics were measureable or that global changes in atmospheric composition could feasibly occur. Climate science has progressed a long way since the 60's. An important disctinction between the global cooling scare and global warming: the global cooling scare was hyped primarily by the press and was based on a minimal amount of concern by scientists, whereas global warming is an issue of great concern by scientists that has been woefully downplayed by the press.

Quote:
Not to long ago they had to cancel a global warming meeting in washington because it was snowed out!

It is well understood that changes in climate may coincide with increased snowfall in some areas and even longer snow seasons (there's more snow now in Antarctica, in fact).

Quote:
The Icebergs aren't melting. They are freezing under the water. They dont show you that the North Pole is fullll of ice! I dont know why people ever can believe this stuff..

False. Icebergs melt constantly (during warm-season months, for example). The fact remains that on whole, annual melting rates are surpassing deposition and most ice sheets on earth are receeding at alarming rates.

Quote:
The Enviromental Wackos' said that when we used aerosal spray cans that it hurts the ozone and is tearing it apart.

Well recent study shows that the ozone is re-building itself all the time!

The capacity of ozone to regenerate has been well-known for a long time. In fact, it undergoes a yearly cycle of regeneration and depletion. The cessation of CFC use represents one of the largest sucess stories of atmospheric science. The ozone hole is on it's way to recovery, and the prior knowledge that the hole could recover was an important factor in encouraging people to stop using CFCs.
American
I and my family think Global Warming is real. We've swapped to CFL's (compact flouresent lightbulbs). We've all watched and locall promoted An Inconvenient Truth. And yes, I know Al Gore is a hipocrit, however, that doesn't make the purpose of the movie wrong.

What changes have you made in your home? Have you watched an An Inconvenient Proof?
The Conspirator
Gagnar The Unruly wrote:
et-configs wrote:

The world did actually cool for a period of time during the 50's and 60's.

Actually that was media hype, the scientists didn't actually say the world was cooling. Actually the most they said it might, but the basis for that wasn't global it was regional.
gangsterr
did anyone watch the movie by al gore on this.?
Siddhesh
This year the summer was burning. i couldn't bear the sun during daytime.It is evident that its going to rain heavily during premonsoon. If global warming continues (carbon dioxide being the main ingredient) ,the time is not far when the cycle of seasons will be altered completely.
w1266
I think there is no stopping to global climate change now, it's started a long time ago, and it was unnoticed for some time, because of a slow rate, but now it's really speeding up...
filet
global warming has to be stopped!!!! if you live in a cooler countries you wont feel the heat scorching your skin...just a bless not having to pile up clothes!!!
the weather here could go up to 34 degree celcius compare to 30 degrees before. i hate it so hot especially when going out.. i always find shady spot and rather not to walk in open street where there arent any something to shield me from glaring sun ... you have to pile on your skin lots of sunscreen...and it gives me headache - migraine because of the heat ... i hate to go outside !!!!!
ThornsOfSorrow
@et-configs: Even if the ozone layer is re-building itself, it's not doing it as fast as it's being destroyed. And aerosal spray cans DO hurt the ozone layer. They release chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) into the environment where they get broken down into chlorine gas, which in turn catalyzes the breakdown of ozone into oxygen. There are photos from NASA showing just how thin the ozone layer is over Antarctica.

With that being said, the strange weather that we've all been experiencing lately may not be a direct result of global warming. As others have already pointed out, the earth goes through natural cycles of warming and cooling, so we may just be due for one of those warming cycles. However, the release of CFCs into the environment is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed because, if it isn't happening now, then we WILL experience a temperature change due to global warming in the future.
iJonno
Where I live, in Australia, we are in a drought caused by 'Global Warming'. As you mentioned that the world has only warmed 1 degree, that is true but the matter in Australia has to be looked into. In south east Queensland our dam levels are as low as 15%-25%. The government has planned for a water grid to run across states but this will take over 5 years to complete. So obviously the Australian government is looking into it. But for me, I have no idea what will happen if we don't do anything.

Jonno'
chasbeen
It is a top priority now as any person who has ever watched the Al Gore documentary called an inconveient truth.

Parts of the Antarctic shelf was seen to have "puddles" on it a few years ago but that was "ok" as well. What was scary was this is where the Antarctic shelf split and fell into the sea. The "puddles" actually went the full depth of the ice.

Now "puddling" is visible on Greenland.

Note that (according to the documentary) sea level would rise by 20 feet if the ice on Greenland disappeared.

Who can quantify this. Note that Holland would be gone..
quex
Yaaaay, links.

http://kutv.com/national/local_story_155000018.html

The IPCC's worst case scenario has been outdone by the actual progress of global climate change. It's gettin' hotter faster.

(I love to see the wait-and-see types squirming these days...)
chasbeen
It's very hard to quantify how dangerous things are becoming but in the same film sensible measures are easily possible to reduce carbon emissions to pre-1970's figures. It sounds like there has been enough chaos already for the politicians to actually start acting responsibly.
EanofAthenasPrime
1 degree may not seem like much, but an analogy: A trillion humans jumping simultaneous on only on continent would shake the world less than .0000000000000001 meters. So, after a century, only from human activity, to increase the global temperature 1 degree, that is quite an accomplishment (although I can't say a positive one.) Before some idiot anti-anti global warming n00b (like Bill Hilly) posts saying "1 degree aint nuthin" 1 degree could potentially upset an entire ecosystem. And yes the ozone layer of antartic is alarmingly thin. Unlike the data you provide, that one "ain't" a lie.